Goalies Celebrating Team Goals

Puckducker

What's everyone's stance of the proper goalie etiquette for when you're team scores a goal? Do you think it's appropriate for a goalie to join in on the celebration in some way? (ie: skating out to collect high fives, banging your stick on the ice) And are there specific circumstances that make celebration appropriate (other than the obvious end of game celebrations)

I've started noticing a couple goalies doing this in one of my leagues. Every time his team scores, he's banging his stick on the ice. Doesn't matter how the goal is scored, or what the current score of the game is. They could be up 6-0 and I accidentally shoot the puck into my own net, and he'll start tapping. 

As far as I'm concerned this is uncalled for. I've always felt that goalies shared a bit of a friendly, if competitive, bond on the ice. I always try to give the other goalie a tap or a nod when we switch ends as a sign of respect. If the other team's goalie makes an unreal save, I'll give a couple good taps of the ice to congratulate him. 

So not sure how you guys feel, but hearing the other goalie celebrate crosses a line for me. 

Thankfully the last time we played that team, the other goalie let in 2 softies in the last 2 minutes to give us the come from behind win. Couldn't help but think that he'd angered the hockey gods with his behavior. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on context of the game. If it's a close game and it's an important goal i'll have a stick tap. I'll always stick tap good saves as well. If it's 6-0, that's just bad taste to me, or if the goalie lets in an oopsie, that also to me is poor taste. 

7 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Depends on context of the game. If it's a close game and it's an important goal i'll have a stick tap. I'll always stick tap good saves as well. If it's 6-0, that's just bad taste to me, or if the goalie lets in an oopsie, that also to me is poor taste. 

Not unless you think the other guy is a plug and his antics bug you.

Then it's a good chirp.

I stick tapped a blatant body check one of our guys laid out on the other team's douchebag once and their goalie lost his shit. I seriously thought he was going to skate out and try to fight in beer league. It was kind of funny. Then, between periods he skates buy and yells "JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE GETTING LIT UP DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO BE A BAD SPORT!" mmk. Tell your guy stop being a fucking idiot, then.

Anyway, I generally just take a drink when we score. Stick taps for really nice goals. Also stick taps for really nice saves at the other end. Only time I'm going to do more than that is if their team cheers like they won the cup every goal they score. Then our go-ahead goal will always get a loud WHOOOOOOOOO!

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not unless you think the other guy is a plug and his antics bug you.

Then it's a good chirp.

Definitely drives me nuts when we're losing. I have to assume that it's intentional to piss off the other goalie. 

The other game when he was doing it, the ref told me that I should skate down the ice and fight him and that he'd let me do it because it'd be fun to watch. 

I usually celebrate my own team's goals with a drink of water, scrape crease snow into my net, and then just get back into a crouch.  If its a big goal I may do a little bit of a fist pump or if the guy who scored happens to look my way as they're skating back to the center faceoff I'll point at him as if saying "you're the man" or something.  Other than that I just let them celebrate themselves.  

I remember in highschool there was this one goalie from another school who used to always place the butt end of his stick into the pocket of his glove, paddle facing straight up in the air, and make circular motions in the air with his stick.  It was so dumb.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I remember in highschool there was this one goalie from another school who used to always place the butt end of his stick into the pocket of his glove, paddle facing straight up in the air, and make circular motions in the air with his stick.  It was so dumb.

Huh?.... That just... What?...

I'll celebrate my team scoring with a stick tap or a fist pump.  I don't see the big deal personally.  Most of the time, the goalie on the other side isn't going to see it any way since the rest of the team is usually celebrating in front of him.  At least, that's my experience when getting scored upon.  It's a team sport and this is my team.

But yes, I'll also tap my stick for a nice save from the opposing goalie.  

On 3/19/2018 at 1:21 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I usually celebrate my own team's goals with a drink of water, scrape crease snow into my net, and then just get back into a crouch.  If its a big goal I may do a little bit of a fist pump or if the guy who scored happens to look my way as they're skating back to the center faceoff I'll point at him as if saying "you're the man" or something.  Other than that I just let them celebrate themselves. 

Mix in a skate to the half boards and back and that's about it for me as well.

When I played in real hockey I had a coach that wanted me to skate over to the handshake line after a goal. After doing it one game I disobeyed. Feels really weird since I had nothing to do with the goal, and looks juvenile to me. "Act like you've been there" type stuff.

Take that with a grain of salt because I'm a curmudgeon. I've been in men's league too long,  I barely celebrate winning anymore lol. What does it matter when the wins and stats get deleted from the site every session? 

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

I'll celebrate my team scoring with a stick tap or a fist pump.  I don't see the big deal personally.  Most of the time, the goalie on the other side isn't going to see it any way since the rest of the team is usually celebrating in front of him. 

If you're tapping your stick, I guarantee the other goalie is hearing it. 

Getting scored on sucks but it rubs some extra salt in the wound when the other goalie, who knows exactly how you feel at that moment, is also celebrating. 

There are some situations where I feel decorum allows for it, specifically if it's a fun game where goals don't really matter. But mostly I feel the correct response should be as others have said, take a drink, go for a skate, and setup for the faceoff. 

9 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

If you're tapping your stick, I guarantee the other goalie is hearing it. 

Getting scored on sucks but it rubs some extra salt in the wound when the other goalie, who knows exactly how you feel at that moment, is also celebrating. 

There are some situations where I feel decorum allows for it, specifically if it's a fun game where goals don't really matter. But mostly I feel the correct response should be as others have said, take a drink, go for a skate, and setup for the faceoff. 

Maybe they hear it.

I might do these 3 little quick 'taps' on the ice if it's a big goal or save, something like that.  Not any loud thunderous smacks or anything of the sort.

And if I do any 'celebrations' I do them when the goal was just scored, so I don't think the other goalie would have time to see since they aren't facing me directly. 

But my usual go-to is just taking a drink of water. Especially in a drop-in or shinny session. The puck can come back the other way very quickly, so I make sure to drink water when I can. 

Nice thread topic, by the way! It's cool seeing what other goalies do (or don't do) in this case.

2 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Maybe they hear it.

I might do these 3 little quick 'taps' on the ice if it's a big goal or save, something like that.  Not any loud thunderous smacks or anything of the sort.

Yeah, I suppose the precise definition of "tap" is crucial here. I think if you're just doing some small taps on the ice, more as an acknowledgement to yourself, that's not a big deal. 

The goalie I was talking about in the OP is banging his stick on the ice so that his players (or more probably, myself) can hear his celebration clearly. 

I don’t play competitive hockey anymore, just shinny, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (having said that, this holds for when, back in the day, I did play competitive hockey as well).

I never cheer my own team’s goal, and a lot of time just shake my head sweep the crease a bit, get into the head-down stance and stare at the ice. I know very well the next three may be on me - the only thing that counts is what is on the board after the final buzzer. For the same reason, if it’s a cheesy goal, I may even call out a “boo” to my own guys to tease them. I will always give the ice a few good smacks to applaud the goalie if he makes a great save.

At the same time I have never given any care if the other goalie wants to smack the ice or do the Macarena when his team scores on me. I can’t stop him and the only way it can make a difference to my game is if I was to take that to heart. I haven't met many of those types of goalies, but when I do, I find they usually have a pretty high and unjustified opinion of their game.

I have always struggled with my mental game and only lately have I realized the one of the best things I can do for my game is to totally damp down my emotions.

All through rep hockey and jr hockey, is was always just kind of routine for goal to be scored, players tag hands on bench, then come meet me near the top of the circle for a glove tap. I’m not sure whatever sparked it. I played mostly with the same guys from atom to jr and they just did it.

These days in pick up hockey and gentleman’s league, I’ll usually only stick tap the other goalie for a nice save, or if a guy on my team scores by some unbelievable solo effort

I get a drink and skate to the corner and back just as I do when I let one in. Yes I will yell some congrats to the teammate that scored.  I do try and keep a friendly dialogue with the opposing goalie before the game I shoot the shit.  And between periods say something nice.   

Only time I remember going nuts(skating to the other end to celebrate) after a goal.  It was a playoff game double OT, my brother scored the game winner.  It was an awesome game.  

19 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

Only time I remember going nuts(skating to the other end to celebrate) after a goal.  It was a playoff game double OT, my brother scored the game winner.  It was an awesome game.  

Well duh. If anyone is being robot-goalie for anything like that, they're kinda nuts.

I remember the first season we won the championship I had no idea what to do with 10 seconds left. Do we throw our shit all over the place and celebrate? Do we just act like another win? Then one of their guys tried to fight one of ours when the buzzer went so that kind of took away any concern over what to do... lol. 

So we get the trophy, captain gives it to me, I lift it over my head, skate around in a small circle (to get to the glass where my wife was standing so she could get a pic) and handed it off to the next guy, who promptly corralled everyone for a photo. I felt pretty dumb. But it also produced one of my favorite pictures of myself so whatever. 

ackbar-champ.thumb.jpg.9f45a2c078c56d61cdcd41a87dfcdd11.jpg

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Which is exactly why I don't like to chirp during games.

6 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I’ve been on the business end of quite a few ass whoopings to get too cocky.  

Yup, talk some shit it just gives them motivation. Absolutely nothing you can do while they're celebrating in your crease. 

I don't see a problem with a stick tap when your team scores. If that upsets/hurts the other goalies feelings, well they need to f'n grow up. That being said, if we are in a 4+ lead, I don't tap. Will also tap for a great save at the other end.

Far as chirping goes, I only chirp teammates. Throwing out a joke at someone on the other team who you know or was on your team before is all in good fun and I fully expect it back. Had a guy last night, made the save and covered then felt pressure on my back. Then a bit more. When my head was almost to my knees (was in a b-fly) I heard "how's it going Nicky" and then laughing as he skated away. All in fun, no malice in it. You take a good shot on  me, I'll be the first to say so (and tell you to not do it again).

Archived