What's your gear rotation like?

jerd31

I was talking to my wife last night after my game and she asked how long a typical set of gear lasts, which was a good opportunity for me to start planting the seeds of picking up another set.  Right now I only have my Gnetik V set (which is less than a year old), but told her it'd be a good idea to add another set so I can rotate gear and get more life out of my equipment.  

So how many sets do y'all have in your rotation and how often are you switching it up?

I've found that only having a single full set works for me.

There's been times where I've had 2/3 leg pads and I've had to force myself to use the other backup sets. The thing is, while I'm using the backup set, all I keep thinking of is wanting to go back to my main set. 

Right now I still have my G5 Blocker/Catcher "just in case". I haven't worn them on the ice once since I got my Bauer set. Not because I love my Bauer's that much, but I generally like to try and stick to a single set and the constant adjustments between gear brands and styles never allows me to solidify a feeling of familiarity that's needed to play well. 

Doesn't stop me from constantly wanting new gear though. 

• Like 5

I have plenty of different sets of gear, but once something becomes a main piece, I hardly stray from it.  The only real exception is I switch to a Sportmask Mage during summer hockey due to the breathability and how much cooler it is from my main Sportmask mask during the rest of the year.  

• Like 2

I have 2 sets now that are really different and one thing I've realized over the years is that if I were to rotate sets...toggle back and forth....they would need to be identical in everything but maybe color: brand and specs. 

Neither my brain nor my.. .feel? body? skin??.....can handle differences week to week, game to game.  I'm a "set it and forget it" person and goalie and once I'm locked it to whatever "normal" is normal for me, that's it.  

Switching gear is a big deal for me (currently in Bauer after almost 30 years in Vaughn).  Long story short, I'm a one set goalie.   

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3

I'm going to have to agree with the folks above - I have piles of some gear (seriously - like (5) chesties in the basement and at least (4) sets of pads) but only entertain wearing the "current" set. The only thought I'm toying with is to buy a duplicate "away" color set of.. the... exact... same... set of mitts/pillows because... goalies do goalie things. I'm always chasing the dragon but hate changing (because lots of things fall flat and cost a lot of money in doing so). The only thing I "swap" with any regularity are the liners in my Warrior gloves and toggle amongst masks (that are all the same PC molded off my face).

But whatever you got to do to justify buying more stuff - I'm all for. We'll keep your secret.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chile57 said:

I'm going to have to agree with the folks above - I have piles of some gear (seriously - like (5) chesties in the basement and at least (4) sets of pads) but only entertain wearing the "current" set. The only thought I'm toying with is to buy a duplicate "away" color set of.. the... exact... same... set of mitts/pillows because... goalies do goalie things. I'm always chasing the dragon but hate changing (because lots of things fall flat and cost a lot of money in doing so). The only thing I "swap" with any regularity are the liners in my Warrior gloves and toggle amongst masks (that are all the same PC molded off my face).

But whatever you got to do to justify buying more stuff - I'm all for. We'll keep your secret.

I LOL'd at this

2 hours ago, jerd31 said:

I was talking to my wife last night after my game and she asked how long a typical set of gear lasts, which was a good opportunity for me to start planting the seeds of picking up another set.  Right now I only have my Gnetik V set (which is less than a year old), but told her it'd be a good idea to add another set so I can rotate gear and get more life out of my equipment.  

So how many sets do y'all have in your rotation and how often are you switching it up?

Marriage games....the struggle is real :)

• Like 1

I usually keep stuff until I cannot physically put it back together or can't get it to work the way I want. When I find a specific model of equipment that I like, I usually hang onto it and develop it to work best for my purposes. I've been in three different pairs of Vaughn V4 leg pads (which I will never get rid of, I like them that much) with various updates and modifications over the past nearly 10 years I've been trying (still trying) to stop pucks. I've got a few pairs of pants and c/a's from over the years that I should probably list in the classifieds to fund my ill-conceived race vehicle build, but I have not touched them in a very long time so I do not quantify them as being part of a rotation.

I've been away from competitive play for a little longer than I'd like to admit due to some things beyond my control, but back when I was on an ACHA D1 practice squad, and later playing for another reasonably successful program and playing most of the week, the only particular piece of equipment I probably would have wanted a spare of was a catch glove. They are usually the first piece of equipment to go and the frequency and intensity of shots in practice make them not last as long as other pieces of equipment. Multiple sets of undergarments were also very helpful. 

If you're just playing once or twice every week, I wouldn't worry about having multiple pieces of the same equipment. I actually made a blocker last 9 years from middle school to college and just replaced it last spring, with the exact same model nonetheless. If you just like goalie equipment and have the means to procure it and the space for it, go crazy. 

• Like 2

Amen at "marriage games" @seagoal but I will say this...

My ex-wife didn't seem to support my gear habit (or frankly any of my habits). I seemed to buy more stuff when I was married to her. She also was less than thrilled that I played 4-5 times a week.

My current wife is a peach and supports (most) all my endeavors - including equipment buying (even humors me weighing buying/not buying the same piece(s) over and over and over and... ). I have definitely bought less things since we moved in together/got married. I now play roughly 1.5 times a week.

WEIRD. 😉

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chile57 said:

Amen at "marriage games" @seagoal but I will say this...

My ex-wife didn't seem to support my gear habit (or frankly any of my habits). I seemed to buy more stuff when I was married to her. She also was less than thrilled that I played 4-5 times a week.

My current wife is a peach and supports (most) all my endeavors - including equipment buying (even humors me talking about buying/not buying the same over and over and over and... ). I have definitely bought less things since we moved in together/got married. I now play roughly 1.5 times a week.

WEIRD. 😉

My marriage games are primarily about the smells of my gear and ventilation.  I don't get so much resistance to wanting new gear but will for sure get asked "and where do you plan on keeping that??"  I get asked "do you need that?" but that is a slam dunk retort: "Well, I mean, 'need' is a VERY strong word." 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, seagoal said:

My marriage games are primarily about the smells of my gear and ventilation.  I don't get so much resistance to wanting new gear but will for sure get asked "and where do you plan on keeping that??"  I get asked "do you need that?" but that is a slam dunk retort: "Well, I mean, 'need' is a VERY strong word." 

I can handle (and might prefer) a little ball busting to go with some roundabout support. 😆 Aren't the best locker room vibes where everyone gives one another a healthy, balanced dose of shit? Seriously - anybody that can put up with us and our quirks is alright in my book.

Sounds like you've got a keeper. Mine humors me... but still gives me the heads shakes at times. 😂 Fair - sometimes I don't know what I'm doing either.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

In recent years, I’m less comfortable switching between pads and gloves for games. I’m still plugging along in my ten year old Simmon’s 586 leg pads and Matrix gloves. Electric tape, replacement straps and Palmskinz all helping in that effort. I do have a set of bucky material pads and gloves made by Jeff Salvi that I bring out once or twice a season at a drop-in. I also have Heaton Pro90Z pads and Brian’s Thief/Airlight gloves. They never see ice. I really should give them a spin. 
Two chest and arms and pants. The bigger more robust Brown 2100CA and 2000PN I currently use in league games. The lighter more streamlined Vaughn Epic 8800 CA and pants I use at a over-35 skate. 
One mask, ProMasque. One throat guard, Maltese. One cup, gray Eagle double-cup. One set of knee pads, PAW. Skates Graf 750 also for the last ten years. On it’s second cowling. I have a pair of Bauer Supreme 7000 skates that I never use. I keep meaning to bring them to a stick and puck to see how they feel now. 
I was using CCM sticks, Premier P2.5. A True rep (They’re inexplicably based here in Memphis) gave me a Catalyst 9X stick. I’ve been using it for a while now. No way I’d spend that much on a stick myself. I splurged and put a Buttendz on it. Works well. 
I don’t have to worry about the significant other complaining about gear purchases. I’m my own governor in that regard because I’ve been only part-time employed in recent years. We’ve moved three times in five years and it’s hard to keep steady employment in those circumstances. Once I get steady employment full-time, I’ll consider new gear. My GF also has her guilty pleasure purchases. She plays defense and loves Eagle gloves which aren’t cheap. Also she hoards Tretorn sneakers. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

In recent years, I’m less comfortable switching between pads and gloves for games. I’m still plugging along in my ten year old Simmon’s 586 leg pads and Matrix gloves. Electric tape, replacement straps and Palmskinz all helping in that effort. I do have a set of bucky material pads and gloves made by Jeff Salvi that I bring out once or twice a season at a drop-in. I also have Heaton Pro90Z pads and Brian’s Thief/Airlight gloves. They never see ice. I really should give them a spin. 
Two chest and arms and pants. The bigger more robust Brown 2100CA and 2000PN I currently use in league games. The lighter more streamlined Vaughn Epic 8800 CA and pants I use at a over-35 skate. 
One mask, ProMasque. One throat guard, Maltese. One cup, gray Eagle double-cup. One set of knee pads, PAW. Skates Graf 750 also for the last ten years. On it’s second cowling. I have a pair of Bauer Supreme 7000 skates that I never use. I keep meaning to bring them to a stick and puck to see how they feel now. 
I was using CCM sticks, Premier P2.5. A True rep (They’re inexplicably based here in Memphis) gave me a Catalyst 9X stick. I’ve been using it for a while now. No way I’d spend that much on a stick myself. I splurged and put a Buttendz on it. Works well. 
I don’t have to worry about the significant other complaining about gear purchases. I’m my own governor in that regard because I’ve been only part-time employed in recent years. We’ve moved three times in five years and it’s hard to keep steady employment in those circumstances. Once I get steady employment full-time, I’ll consider new gear. My GF also has her guilty pleasure purchases. She plays defense and loves Eagle gloves which aren’t cheap. Also she hoards Tretorn sneakers. 

This reminded me that I forgot to mention that I do toggle one piece of gear, my pants.  But, i have 2 identical pairs of SLR2 pants, one red and one black, because my hockey team opted for 3rd jerseys and our colors are white-home, black-away, and red-third.   Gotta keep the contrasts going :)

This isnt going to come across well here.

Same pads since 1984. My pants are 9 years old. Same chest/arms since 1984. Gloves for at least 7 years, before the current ones, about 20 years. Cup for about 14 years. Knee pads about 10. One mask is about 7 years old and the other, which I cannot wear in some buildings, is about 6. Not a question of dollars although that is important. I just hate breaking in new stuff. I maintain my stuff carefully and it has held up good.  Mrs. only really complains about the smell. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fullright said:

This isnt going to come across well here.

Same pads since 1984. My pants are 9 years old. Same chest/arms since 1984. Gloves for at least 7 years, before the current ones, about 20 years. Cup for about 14 years. Knee pads about 10. One mask is about 7 years old and the other, which I cannot wear in some buildings, is about 6. Not a question of dollars although that is important. I just hate breaking in new stuff. I maintain my stuff carefully and it has held up good.  Mrs. only really complains about the smell. 

Ok, I have to bite:

how do you know you hate breaking in new stuff when you never do it?

That's a funny/serious question :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@Fullright In watching your goPro videos, I’ve always felt you’re right in sticking with the traditional pads because of the way you play. I really think current pads would actually hinder your play style.  I think there are far too many stand-up beer league goalies who mistakenly buy modern pads and it hurts their game. 

• Like 2

@WillyGrips13: I did try a pair of bauer modern pads a few years ago and they killed my hips and I felt top heavy. Thanks for the kind words, Willy. I think however I am no longer even a beer league goalie anymore. A practice target is probably more accurate.

@seagoal: fair point. I do agree about the gloves. I have a Passau 60 and it become comfie after a few skates. To be honest, I dont know how you guys move as well as you fellas do in modern gear. Certainly, modern goalies are better trained and stronger than me and my peers....the few left standing. :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fullright said:

@WillyGrips13: I did try a pair of bauer modern pads a few years ago and they killed my hips and I felt top heavy. Thanks for the kind words, Willy. I think however I am no longer even a beer league goalie anymore. A practice target is probably more accurate.

@seagoal: fair point. I do agree about the gloves. I have a Passau 60 and it become comfie after a few skates. To be honest, I dont know how you guys move as well as you fellas do in modern gear. Certainly, modern goalies are better trained and stronger than me and my peers....the few left standing. :)

Ain't that the truth.  I think you're a bit older than me, but I started playing in the early 90's and it's changed so much during my time.  I was pretty slow to switch and adapt to modern gear (but eventually did mostly from peer pressure hanging around in here) but now I love it.  It's kinda like a new lease on playing, keeps it fresh and fun for a gear nerd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Ain't that the truth.  I think you're a bit older than me, but I started playing in the early 90's and it's changed so much during my time.  I was pretty slow to switch and adapt to modern gear (but eventually did mostly from peer pressure hanging around in here) but now I love it.  It's kinda like a new lease on playing, keeps it fresh and fun for a gear nerd.

Don't pin this on us. This was entirely up to you :P

I recall you sending the first text asking me about Bauer gear. 

• Like 2