Brian's Iconik - 2023 Line

ZeroGravitas

We've got the picture of Igor in the pad. I have a feeling the outer roll is exaggerating it a bit, but it still seems relatively aggressive. More realistically it's very similar to the bend in the Optik3 (which I would call aggressive). I'm a pretty big fan of the bend in my GNetikVs since it seems to be a bit less, comparable to the PX3 structure if I had to liken it to something.

When I wore a set of Optik3s it didn't feel bad by any means. I could notice the bend, but didn't feel any interference or awkwardness in any movements from it. The pads are good, so if this is Brian's doing a continuation of the GNetik line with some influence in shape from the Optik, it'll be a fine pad. I have ho idea if they're keeping their slight focus on this build having a torsional flex as part of its intended function. I am hoping they took some of the weight out of the pad, I love my GNetikVs overall due to their stiffness, seal quality, and sliding performance, but they're the heaviest and smallest pad I own.

5 hours ago, jerd31 said:

The knee bend looks pretty tame in their latest IG

IMG_8411.thumb.jpeg.77566a7ccdc5eb134c4cdec17c589607.jpeg

It does look a bit less on the actual gear's page on their site too.

https://www.goalies-only.com/product/iconik-leg-pads/

Additional fun things:

• 20% lighter than GNETiKV (very good, love the pad but it is heavy)
    • Thinner
  • Knee block stiffened up by doubly lacing it
  • Kept the SBA knee and leg cradle, more nylon and less airknit (likely better for wear)
  • SBA on the boot (could see this in a picture of Jake Allen, not sure I like this change at all)
  • Blocker cuff more open than the GNETiKV, very good change
  • Thumb/sidewall change to reduce wear/friction, also a good change
  • Sidewall rigidity looks upped from an already decent rigidity
  • Glove looks nearly identical with backhand rigidized and flex added (very good)
Edited by keeperton

1 hour ago, Novasteel31 said:

When I look at the shape of the glove it looks to me at least like they have gone more in shape towards the original gnetik glove when it was released compared to the flatter presenting one of the last few years.

I think that's just due to the laces in the palm holding the jenpro tighter to the foam and plastic. There's a lot of empty space behind the jenpro on gnetik iv and v

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2023 at 3:11 PM, keeperton said:

We've got the picture of Igor in the pad. I have a feeling the outer roll is exaggerating it a bit, but it still seems relatively aggressive. More realistically it's very similar to the bend in the Optik3 (which I would call aggressive). I'm a pretty big fan of the bend in my GNetikVs since it seems to be a bit less, comparable to the PX3 structure if I had to liken it to something.

When I wore a set of Optik3s it didn't feel bad by any means. I could notice the bend, but didn't feel any interference or awkwardness in any movements from it. The pads are good, so if this is Brian's doing a continuation of the GNetik line with some influence in shape from the Optik, it'll be a fine pad. I have ho idea if they're keeping their slight focus on this build having a torsional flex as part of its intended function. I am hoping they took some of the weight out of the pad, I love my GNetikVs overall due to their stiffness, seal quality, and sliding performance, but they're the heaviest and smallest pad I own.

I tried on the Brian’s Iconik 1 pads in store, and when I drop in the butterfly, the top part of the pads are together, while the bottom parts of the pads are split apart. Does anyone know if this is just because they’re new, or is that a problem? I am about to buy new leg pads and this and the Hyperlite 2 are the two options I’m comparing after much research and try ones.

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

I tried on the Brian’s Iconik 1 pads in store, and when I drop in the butterfly, the top part of the pads are together, while the bottom parts of the pads are split apart. Does anyone know if this is just because they’re new, or is that a problem? I am about to buy new leg pads and this and the Hyperlite 2 are the two options I’m comparing after much research and try ones.

Like they are overrotating?

3 hours ago, keeperton said:

Like they are overrotating?

When I tried them on at Pure Hockey on synthetic ice, they would sometimes overlap, and other times in the butterfly, the top pieces are touching, but the bottom split apart. Is that just a thing that requires breaking in? 

When I tried them on at Pure Hockey on synthetic ice, they would sometimes overlap, and other times in the butterfly, the top pieces are touching, but the bottom split apart. Is that just a thing that requires breaking in? 

Can´t say exactly without photo, but sounds to me like overrotation:

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 12:56 AM, mik said:

Can´t say exactly without photo, but sounds to me like overrotation:

Okay thank you! If this makes more sense, usually when you see a goalie play and drop in the butterfly, the five hole will mostly be sealed completely. However, when I tried on the pads, the top pieces sealed together in the butterfly, and the bottom pieces were not sealed. It would kind of look like a slim A.

Okay thank you! If this makes more sense, usually when you see a goalie play and drop in the butterfly, the five hole will mostly be sealed completely. However, when I tried on the pads, the top pieces sealed together in the butterfly, and the bottom pieces were not sealed. It would kind of look like a slim A.

I can think about two reasons. First is overrotation of the pads, second that sometimes pads are not not well made and there is slight curve in the front part.    

9 hours ago, mik said:

I can think about two reasons. First is overrotation of the pads, second that sometimes pads are not not well made and there is slight curve in the front part.    

That's true but I really doubt with Brian's that it's a quality issue. Every pad takes time to "dial it in" with strapping to get it to perform ideally with your legs and style of play. Plus factor in synthetic ice. 

14 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

That's true but I really doubt with Brian's that it's a quality issue. Every pad takes time to "dial it in" with strapping to get it to perform ideally with your legs and style of play. Plus factor in synthetic ice. 

I agree with you, but just saw two sets of new Vaughn pads (in one week) that were curved in the front, sometimes it happens.   

On 12/6/2023 at 7:32 PM, Taylor said:

My warrior pads had the same issue. I believe it's caused by manufacturers switching to smaller boxes for shipping, sometimes causing the pad shape to change

51 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

My warrior pads had the same issue. I believe it's caused by manufacturers switching to smaller boxes for shipping, sometimes causing the pad shape to change

Could also be the thinner profile a lot of these pads are incorporating are also enabling this too. 

I remember by G5's being super, super thin, but the torsional flex on thighrises was pretty high. Probably highest of any pads I've had. 

Couple that with the 2S, 3S, and US, pads I've used, (the first two coming from questionable boxes from Sideline) and that issues was not apparent. Though I'm sure the very stiff core of those pads are a major factor too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a chance to get a set of Iconiks on the ice a few times, thought I’d give some feedback. 

pads: similar to Gnetik Vs but noticeably lighter. The sliding on them is insane, probably the best sliding pad I’ve used (compared to V10, V9, SLR3, Optik 3, Gnetik V, PX3). The flex is nice, and the strapping is great and super simple. I removed the professor and boot straps, so all it is is toe ties, one calf wrap strap, and the knee strap. Overall solid improvements on the Gnetik V.

glove: very comfortable and light, great closure, but I just can’t get used to the break angle on Brian’s gloves.

blocker: also very light and comfortable. Rebounds though we’re not as hot as I’d hoped but not terrible.

all in all they made some solid improvements, not really anything bad to say except the sliding was almost too much at times and was hard to control occasionally.

• Like 1