Brian's Iconik - 2023 Line

ZeroGravitas

13 hours ago, Toobs said:

Have had a chance to get a set of Iconiks on the ice a few times, thought I’d give some feedback. 

pads: similar to Gnetik Vs but noticeably lighter. The sliding on them is insane, probably the best sliding pad I’ve used (compared to V10, V9, SLR3, Optik 3, Gnetik V, PX3). The flex is nice, and the strapping is great and super simple. I removed the professor and boot straps, so all it is is toe ties, one calf wrap strap, and the knee strap. Overall solid improvements on the Gnetik V.

glove: very comfortable and light, great closure, but I just can’t get used to the break angle on Brian’s gloves.

blocker: also very light and comfortable. Rebounds though we’re not as hot as I’d hoped but not terrible.

all in all they made some solid improvements, not really anything bad to say except the sliding was almost too much at times and was hard to control occasionally.

I had a chance to try on the glove this week and it doesn't feel anything like my original Gnetik but does feel similar to the models previous

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

I will have my set next week 

I can’t play for 2 weeks because à of a broken thumb but I’ll try to do a review of this set with my limited English writing skill

IMG_5864.jpeg

Beauty set. 

I csnt stand guys that mix colour with the classic tan look. 

So a full tan set is always a thumbs up from me. 

On 12/23/2023 at 7:32 PM, Toobs said:

Have had a chance to get a set of Iconiks on the ice a few times, thought I’d give some feedback. 

pads: similar to Gnetik Vs but noticeably lighter. The sliding on them is insane, probably the best sliding pad I’ve used (compared to V10, V9, SLR3, Optik 3, Gnetik V, PX3). The flex is nice, and the strapping is great and super simple. I removed the professor and boot straps, so all it is is toe ties, one calf wrap strap, and the knee strap. Overall solid improvements on the Gnetik V.

glove: very comfortable and light, great closure, but I just can’t get used to the break angle on Brian’s gloves.

blocker: also very light and comfortable. Rebounds though we’re not as hot as I’d hoped but not terrible.

all in all they made some solid improvements, not really anything bad to say except the sliding was almost too much at times and was hard to control occasionally.

My local store doesn't have a demo set of Iconiks yet but I've played 7 games with the Optik3's and 1 game in some Hyperlights. Curious enough that I'll probably wait to try them out however every Genetik pad I've tried I hated probably due to weight. My current pads are pro stock zero g's with sub-zero boots and they are 5lbs each. Optik3 are 5lbs and these hypers I have are 4.6 lbs. Is the sliding that much better than the optiks? 

I like the idea of the knee stack being double laced/more anchored in the pad. 

12 hours ago, Frenchforwin said:

My local store doesn't have a demo set of Iconiks yet but I've played 7 games with the Optik3's and 1 game in some Hyperlights. Curious enough that I'll probably wait to try them out however every Genetik pad I've tried I hated probably due to weight. My current pads are pro stock zero g's with sub-zero boots and they are 5lbs each. Optik3 are 5lbs and these hypers I have are 4.6 lbs. Is the sliding that much better than the optiks? 

I like the idea of the knee stack being double laced/more anchored in the pad. 

The sliding is honestly better than any pad I’ve used. It was insane. Actually made it difficult to play with. Maybe it’ll calm down as the pads get used. 

I really like the knee block. Definitely an improvement on the Gnetik, as is the weight of the pad. 

Another update after putting a few more skates on the Iconiks for anyone thinking of ordering a set.

the leg pads definitely fit smaller than Gnetiks, by about a half inch to a full inch. I was in a 33+1.5 Gnetik V and I’m wearing the same size Iconik and it play’s noticeably smaller.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:39 PM, Yzueblin said:

I cannot they fix it and my hand cannot go inside the glove 

Ah, I see. With mine, I took a shot right off the thumb while messing around knocking pucks down with my paddle and wasn't sure if I had broken it or not until I went to the doctor a couple days later. He didn't think it was broken either, but I had it x-rayed anyway and lo and behold it was broken. There wasn't really anything they could do for it with how it broke they said, so now I just have one permanently fatter thumb that kind of clicks. 

On 12/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Toobs said:

the leg pads definitely fit smaller than Gnetiks, by about a half inch to a full inch. I was in a 33+1.5 Gnetik V and I’m wearing the same size Iconik and it play’s noticeably smaller.

How does the Iconik sizing compare to the Brian’s sizing chart? I’m 19” ATK and the chart says 36, but was advised to get a 35 when I looked at the Gnetik V.

2 hours ago, SteveF said:

How does the Iconik sizing compare to the Brian’s sizing chart? I’m 19” ATK and the chart says 36, but was advised to get a 35 when I looked at the Gnetik V.

I’d say it’s pretty good. I have a 17.75 ATK and fit well into a 33+1.5 Gnetik V, but those were known to fit large due to the boot bump. They eliminated it in the Iconik. The 33+1.5 Iconik felt a hair small, which fits with their size chart. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, jerd31 said:

The knee bend looks pretty tame in their latest IG

IMG_8411.thumb.jpeg.77566a7ccdc5eb134c4cdec17c589607.jpeg

Just thought I'd reply to this since I just ordered a custom set and went through the process of figuring out why some photos I see of the pad has a pronounces S curve while others don't. Basically the stiff core is the one that has that curve, the regular core is the one pictured in the customizer and more straight.

If I'm not mistaken this is the only pad at this time with some curve stock, and why I wanted to try Brian's again. As I've gotten older my hips lost some rotation and I feel like that S curve really helps seal it up. My custom order is in for an early March slot so won't be long before I'll be able to compare for myself. Currently in a True PX3 and before that was in the stiffest core Warrior G6 so will be a nice change of pace I think.

Picture attached is stiff core on left and regular core on right to show what I mean. Shout out to Jay at TGC, I've bought like 4 or 5 custom sets through him now and he always takes the time to go over the specs for me and help me decide.

Facebook2024-01-23 11_59_58-.png

• Like 3

On 1/23/2024 at 9:01 AM, Smalls said:

Just thought I'd reply to this since I just ordered a custom set and went through the process of figuring out why some photos I see of the pad has a pronounces S curve while others don't. Basically the stiff core is the one that has that curve, the regular core is the one pictured in the customizer and more straight.

If I'm not mistaken this is the only pad at this time with some curve stock, and why I wanted to try Brian's again. As I've gotten older my hips lost some rotation and I feel like that S curve really helps seal it up. My custom order is in for an early March slot so won't be long before I'll be able to compare for myself. Currently in a True PX3 and before that was in the stiffest core Warrior G6 so will be a nice change of pace I think.

Picture attached is stiff core on left and regular core on right to show what I mean. Shout out to Jay at TGC, I've bought like 4 or 5 custom sets through him now and he always takes the time to go over the specs for me and help me decide.

Interesting. The opposite of most brands where the aggressive curve comes with a softer build. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

There, I agree with you. We can all retire now!

You may not vocalize it often, but I know deep down you agree with 95% of the nonsense I spew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Interesting. The opposite of most brands where the aggressive curve comes with a softer build. 

You may not vocalize it often, but I know deep down you agree with 95% of the nonsense I spew. 

In the sense that it's nonsense and doesn't need to mean anything, yes I probably might agree

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 9:01 AM, Smalls said:

That’s quite a difference in curve. Did you actually get your hands on both versions or just pictures? The iconiks I was using were the flex profile, but I’d be interested to know where the big differences in flex are, as I know the stiff profile still has a soft boot. 

Wonder what the difference is between the Iconik stiff and an optik3 in terms of stiffness.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Toobs said:

Optik probably. Possibly also the eclipse, which I find better than the Optik personally.

Maybe I just didn’t give it a chance but when I tried the eclipse blocker it felt nose heavy and not balanced but all the reviews im seeing is everyone saying it’s balanced and light. 

7 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

What's closer to a bauer mach/M5 blocker in fit, feel, and rebounds the iconik or optik?

1 hour ago, Toobs said:

Optik probably. Possibly also the eclipse, which I find better than the Optik personally.

Optik is going to be more like the Hyperlite if only for the bevel on the edges of the board. I say this largely because I have/had both of those, and what I noticed with blockers that have the beveled boards is that pucks that hit outside the center/closer to the edge tend to make the whole unit torque a bit more than a solid board and mostly die after hitting the blocker.

The Iconik is going to have a construction more like a Supreme blocker, but it looks (read: LOOKS) like the Eclipse is more in line with what a Supreme type blocker will be with regards to the board and sidewall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xmikex32 said:

Maybe I just didn’t give it a chance but when I tried the eclipse blocker it felt nose heavy and not balanced but all the reviews im seeing is everyone saying it’s balanced and light. 

Personally I love my eclipse blocker. It is probably the most similar to a supreme/Mach style. I find it to be very balanced and light.

• Like 1