2023-24 Gear Sitings

A.YOUNGoalie13

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Courtesy of the nerd

Screenshot_20230908_083243_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1cae3965d68bd8a02b8d7ba92fa0b1f.jpg

Markstrom giving Vapor 90 a try

I swear, any time some major gear nerd account posts a picture of a goalie testing anything other than CCM that MHH goalie guy posts something negative about it. Don't people need to disclose when they are literally sponsored by a brand, especially if they constantly shill it and put down other brands?

Anyway, on that note: It'd be really interesting for CCM to lose Markstrom given how shaky their foothold is in the NHL goalie scene right now. I'm pretty sure the only people they're really getting are coming out of the CHL, which they (and Bauer and Vaughn) pay to make sure they are the only ones that can be used.

Edited by keeperton

2 hours ago, keeperton said:

Anyway, on that note: It'd be really interesting for CCM to lose Markstrom given how shaky their foothold is in the NHL goalie scene right now. I'm pretty sure the only people they're really getting are coming out of the CHL, which they (and Bauer and Vaughn) pay to make sure they are the only ones that can be used.

Ccm is turning their focus towards younger goalies rather than demko and markstrom. 

5 hours ago, keeperton said:

I swear, any time some major gear nerd account posts a picture of a goalie testing anything other than CCM that MHH goalie guy posts something negative about it. Don't people need to disclose when they are literally sponsored by a brand, especially if they constantly shill it and put down other brands?

Yeah I’ve seen that, annoying.  Him and that Chris Duda (the guy calling people who use wheeled bags soft in one post, while his next post is his saggy man tits flopping around while he puts on his gear) seem like douches.  

4 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Yeah I’ve seen that, annoying.  Him and that Chris Duda (the guy calling people who use wheeled bags soft in one post, while his next post is his saggy man tits flopping around while he puts on his gear) seem like douches.  

I know Chris personally and he's hilarious but can be harsh at times

6 hours ago, keeperton said:

I've always thought the fact he's so brazen about it should make it pretty obvious, and he doesn't hide the fact that CCM sends him all the new products to test. He's usually pretty tongue in cheek in his comments too...seems like everyone's aware of where he stands?

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I know Chris personally and he's hilarious but can be harsh at times

Lol he gives off strong get off my lawn vibes 

28 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean....

I’m a backpack bag guy myself but everything hurts after a game so I’m not about to hate on wheeled bags lol

30 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Lol he gives off strong get off my lawn vibes 

Sort of. For the most part he's unwilling to let other people try his gear due to prior bad experiences but now that he doesn't have the brand connections that he used to he's much more open to information from others.

That said he does do his research heavily before providing an opinion on anything gear related which is why he tends to be rather defensive. 

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Ccm is turning their focus towards younger goalies rather than demko and markstrom. 

Then they should really focusing on making it so kids can actually close their gloves. I've had way too many of the kids I coach (or their parents) in anywhere between youth to intermediate models ask me for methods on getting their kids' gloves to close. I will outright admit that I have both relatively weak and small hands, but when I can fit my hand into a junior model (barely, I'm not that itty bitty) and barely close it after the kids have had it for over a month, that's a huge issue/red flag to me. Sure, let the pro gloves need break-in, maybe re-engineer your "for the kids" models to work out of the box.

3 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Shrug to Chris, have yet to have a bad interaction/note anything he's said. There's certainly a handful of people I see post on Instagram that make me roll the hell out of my eyes, but I suppose I rather not digress this thread further.

1 hour ago, froese said:

I've always thought the fact he's so brazen about it should make it pretty obvious, and he doesn't hide the fact that CCM sends him all the new products to test. He's usually pretty tongue in cheek in his comments too...seems like everyone's aware of where he stands?

I feel like he should (legally) have to disclose that he's literally sponsored. I thought that was something anyone needed to do when creating content that is literally sponsored, though I have also noticed across the board on Instagram this seems barely enforced, if at all. 

I will outright state my bias here: I think CCM gear is only relevant because they dump money into marketing/forcing their way into exclusive deals. It's some of the worst built stuff I've seen and handled, I'm baffled that there's any allegiance to it. The last halfway okay line of theirs I got to see was the EFlex4, and even then the not-Lefevre made versions of it I saw were so mediocre for the sticker price being the same as other top end gear. Part of why I get so frustrated about the shilling is it's like they're getting paid to hock garbage to kids, and thus funnel money from their parents into gear that's just n-1 in build quality, but n+3 in marketing push and presence. I would love for my mind to be changed, but haven't been impressed yet.

Their sticks are good and I've heard their cowlingless skates are decent now (save for the blade lock mechanism).

Content: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw8DtsRLoDP/ & https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw6ZAyDN0xg/

The HZRDUS graphic is actually shaping up, in my opinion, to look decent and/or very flexible. As I posted on, I believe, TGN's post, I think people will look back on this graphic positively in like 6 years, but the hate-dumping on Insta is nuts right now. It's been growing on me.

Edited by keeperton

4 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Then they should really focusing on making it so kids can actually close their gloves. I've had way too many of the kids I coach (or their parents) in anywhere between youth to intermediate models ask me for methods on getting their kids' gloves to close. I will outright admit that I have both relatively weak and small hands, but when I can fit my hand into a junior model (barely, I'm not that itty bitty) and barely close it after the kids have had it for over a month, that's a huge issue/red flag to me. Sure, let the pro gloves need break-in, maybe re-engineer your "for the kids" models to work out of the box.

From what I've heard they rebuilt the 591 again with lots of improvements to the tee and overlapping foam and plastic to help it close at all levels. They told us up front they removed some padding to achieve this which is fine by me since I felt 591 was genuinely over built even on a2.9

6 minutes ago, keeperton said:

The HZRDUS graphic is actually shaping up, in my opinion, to look decent and/or very flexible. As I posted on, I believe, TGN's post, I think people will look back on this graphic positively in like 6 years, but the hate-dumping on Insta is nuts right now. It's been growing on me.

I don't particularly hate the hzrdus graphic as someone who uses warrior lol but I feel it's amusing to see diehard Lefevre users watch as their favorite pads uses the same graphic as something they've always considered an abomination. 

Agreed on the insta hate though. Deleted the app last weeka for at least during the season and maybe permanently. 

2 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

From what I've heard they rebuilt the 591 again with lots of improvements to the tee and overlapping foam and plastic to help it close at all levels. They told us up front they removed some padding to achieve this which is fine by me since I felt 591 was genuinely over built even on a2.9

I don't particularly hate the hzrdus graphic as someone who uses warrior lol but I feel it's amusing to see diehard Lefevre users watch as their favorite pads uses the same graphic as something they've always considered an abomination. 

Agreed on the insta hate though. Deleted the app last weeka for at least during the season and maybe permanently. 

Great, I'd love to see the xx1 gloves get some traction, but the first release felt very "we're testing in production" and came across a bit half realized. It'd be interesting to see if they did it with the 600 and if they (and others) continue to push other glove break angles/styles. There's so many clones/copies because it's what many already like, but there's got to be so many avenues worth exploring (which is why I've stuck with Brian's 35deg (which I guess is a 55deg otherwise?) gloves for so long, they've made the most "sense" to my hand when trying to close).

I keep Insta mostly because I like seeing gear, stuff's fun. The comments rival Youtube's in terms of being a cesspit.

15 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Great, I'd love to see the xx1 gloves get some traction, but the first release felt very "we're testing in production" and came across a bit half realized. It'd be interesting to see if they did it with the 600 and if they (and others) continue to push other glove break angles/styles. There's so many clones/copies because it's what many already like, but there's got to be so many avenues worth exploring (which is why I've stuck with Brian's 35deg (which I guess is a 55deg otherwise?) gloves for so long, they've made the most "sense" to my hand when trying to close).

Agreed. Axis 2 591 was miserable at retail and even at custom for the most part. I would love to see a 601 appear but I doubt we'll see it any time soon.

581 and 580 are just what's hot right now. Like many on here have said I'm sure plenty of people will realize 580 isn't for them and go back to other models. 581 is a huge step in the right direction for ccm since it broke in much quicker than 591 and felt more user friendly.

Personally I don't understand why they haven't offered a 591 or 581 with traditional finger yet but hopefully that shows up soon.