Vaughn SLR 4

seagoal

Things I know about the new model and some things Vaughn has said:

• Quickslide now has "glass" incorporated
    • My speculation is that it has some sort of polycarbonate interwoven
    • Maybe taken inspiration from the Warrior slide plate by integrating the material
  • The strapping will be like the Velocity V10 (which is Vaughn's version of the FRS style strapping, but modular/changeable)
  • Boot will be flatter than the SLR3
  • "The SLR4 catch glove has been completely redone. Now featuring 60 and 70 degree break options"
    • I wonder what will differentiate this from the V10 glove(s), I'm a huge fan of the V10 60deg, have not gotten to try the 70deg
  • Core has been redesigned to make rebounds harder and the pad stiffer

Summary: The SLR4 is made to be more in line with other brands' versions of "the stiff pad that gives hard rebounds." I'd say it's likely to be very comparable to the 20.2/HZRDUS. Should shape up to be a pretty good release.

Other fun thing is Kemper is in CCM skates in the video, I think that's new/overlooked "siting" information, albeit small.

The seal on this looks still with Ned looks great, one of the others (I think the gal) shows some of that trademark propensity for slight over-rotation I've noticed with the SLR for its last few lines, probably a bit loose on the pad.

image.thumb.png.db03fabe228f1e3c2662df6b8efad77d.png

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, keeperton said:

• Maybe taken inspiration from the Warrior slide plate by integrating the material
  • The strapping will be like the Velocity V10 (which is Vaughn's version of the FRS style strapping, but modular/changeable)
  • "The SLR4 catch glove has been completely redone. Now featuring 60 and 70 degree break options"
    • I wonder what will differentiate this from the V10 glove(s), I'm a huge fan of the V10 60deg, have not gotten to try the 70deg

Summary: The SLR4 is made to be more in line with other brands' versions of "the stiff pad that gives hard rebounds." I'd say it's likely to be very comparable to the 20.2/HZRDUS. Should shape up to be a pretty good release.

Other fun thing is Kemper is in CCM skates in the video, I think that's new/overlooked "siting" information, albeit small.

The seal on this looks still with Ned looks great, one of the others (I think the gal) shows some of that trademark propensity for slight over-rotation I've noticed with the SLR for its last few lines, probably a bit loose on the pad.

I will say that SLR graphics are always awesome and these are no exception.   Looks really good.

And man...I miss Quick Slide.  That stuff slides so good and little zippy sound it makes is very gratifying, haah.

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I will say that SLR graphics are always awesome and these are no exception.   Looks really good.

And man...I miss Quick Slide.  That stuff slides so good and little zippy sound it makes is very gratifying, haah.

Oh yeah, I love the sound of weave and primo sliding. It's such a unique sound and the stuff just glides.

30 minutes ago, keeperton said:

This just sounds like how CCM/True/Bauer has been doing it by allowing goalies to chose whichever break they prefer and get it in the same graphic design as the rest of the gear without an additional upcharge. 

Warrior is kind of doing that as well by providing two different gloves and blockers with identical graphics. 

Now we wait on Brians. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

This just sounds like how CCM/True/Bauer has been doing it by allowing goalies to chose whichever break they prefer and get it in the same graphic design as the rest of the gear without an additional upcharge. 

Warrior is kind of doing that as well by providing two different gloves and blockers with identical graphics. 

Now we wait on Brians. 

I know for a fact Brian's isn't doing that this year, but they will always let you put whatever graphic on whatever glove.

2 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I know for a fact Brian's isn't doing that this year, but they will always let you put whatever graphic on whatever glove.

Of course, but that costs the moolah. 

What I'm interpreting here is that Vaughn will be doing what CCM/True/Bauer is doing and not have an upcharge to match the graphic to the glove break. 

Warrior does a pseudo version of it, so that leaves Brian as kind of the odd man out (just like with having their own 90 degree break glove too ;)

Edited by coopaloop1234

16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Of course, but that costs the moolah. 

What I'm interpreting here is that Vaughn will be doing what CCM/True/Bauer is doing and not have an upcharge to match the graphic to the glove break. 

Warrior does a pseudo version of it, so that leaves Brian as kind of the odd man out (just like with having their own 90 degree break glove too ;)

I knew what you meant, still don't think it'll ever happen though.

Do we think Brian's 90deg glove will be called a 0deg break, keeping with how they frame all their other angles?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I knew what you meant, still don't think it'll ever happen though.

Do we think Brian's 90deg glove will be called a 0deg break, keeping with how they frame all their other angles?

Never say never. They have enough of a operational set up that it shouldn't be too hard to facilitate. 

It'll be the 3.14 degree glove or something asinine. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, keeperton said:

Sounds promising.

On the gloves, the V10 glove is actually not a 60*. It's labeled as a 60* on the site, but it is a revision of the 2-piece V9 glove, which is more like 50*.  The pocket is farther out than the 60* XP (590 clone) glove.  Ev commented on a V10 review video on YouTube that it isn't a 60* but of course they haven't fixed the site. So Vaughn.

My guess is the XP 60* and XP 70* gloves will be the default for the SLR line and the current SLR glove is going away. The old V9 2-piece and SLR gloves were so similar I think it makes sense. The SLR had a different wrist strap and a steeper thumb, but the break I believe was the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Sounds promising.

On the gloves, the V10 glove is actually not a 60*. It's labeled as a 60* on the site, but it is a revision of the 2-piece V9 glove, which is more like 50*.  The pocket is farther out than the 60* XP (590 clone) glove.  Ev commented on a V10 review video on YouTube that it isn't a 60* but of course they haven't fixed the site. So Vaughn.

My guess is the XP 60* and XP 70* gloves will be the default for the SLR line and the current SLR glove is going away. The old V9 2-piece and SLR gloves were so similar I think it makes sense. The SLR had a different wrist strap and a steeper thumb, but the break I believe was the same.

Maybe that's why I liked the V10 glove so much then, since that's really close to the kind of break I like. Thanks for the info!

19 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Sounds promising.

15 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Maybe that's why I liked the V10 glove so much then, since that's really close to the kind of break I like. Thanks for the info!

Here's a comparison of the two V10 mitts side by side

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think Vaughn is really nailing it with this line. The SLR series pants are fantastic, even just going from the SLR2 to SLR3 I noticed a huge improvement (and I already really liked the SLR2 pants). These look almost the exact same as the SLR3 pant, but they didn't need really much of anything changed.

I'd be most interested to try the blocker and pads. The thickness of the board intrigues me and I've liked all the SLR pads in the past.

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I want to try these... been trying to track down a demo

Woah, would that be your first time ever testing Vaughn?  Unprecedented.

I would watch.  I mean I always watch your videos, but that would be a treat to see you test Vaughn.