Vaughn SLR 4

seagoal

• 4 weeks later...

Buddy of mine had the SLR4 pro carbon chesty for about a day before he returned it. The Velcro on the elbow floaters wore the aero material from him wearing it around the house. Screen shots from the video he shared with me. 

IMG_0139.png

IMG_0142.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ryan W said:

Any word on when these should be available at retailers? I've only seen the hockey shop with a couple items?

Thanks!

I haven’t heard anything more specific than “Spring 2024”

• Like 1

I’ve been looking hard at the SLR4 line. I’m currently in a set of Hyperlite’s. I was originally looking at a “soft” pad (which don’t exist anymore). I started off looking at True PX3 and Vaughn V10. After seeing them in store and seeing how stiff they are, I started looking into “stiff” modern pads. My team wears sport gold and black jerseys. I was playing with the customizer and came up with the first 3 photos.

I was approached this week about a job in another province. If I end up moving, my new team probably wouldn’t wear yellow jerseys and it would look off. Went back to the customizer and came up with the last 3 photos.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 9.11.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 9.11.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 9.11.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 2.54.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 2.54.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 2.54.11 PM.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

7CFE7F22-7AA4-4344-AEA4-FCEEBE44A330.thumb.png.9ed52c51ed138b77ce1e65dd445fb3dc.pngThis just came out on Vaughns instagram, tough angle to get the whole pad in but they’re showing off the “carbon core tech” here. You get a really good view on how they do an integrated knee block, looks similar to @ser33’s optiks

Edited by pfeiffjay54
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

7CFE7F22-7AA4-4344-AEA4-FCEEBE44A330.thumb.png.9ed52c51ed138b77ce1e65dd445fb3dc.pngThis just came out on Vaughns instagram, tough angle to get the whole pad in but they’re showing off the “carbon core tech” here. You get a really good view on how they do an integrated knee block, looks similar to @ser33’s optiks

I saw these videos too. I think I made the right choice going with them over the V10. The carbon core, the integrated knee block, and the thicker HD foam in the blocker will feel more similar to my Hyperlite’s. I went with the soft boot and soft thigh flex (double break). My hips are getting stiffer as I get older. I did end up placing an order last week. Going to give the 70* glove a try. I did end up going back to customized and placed an order for these:

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 11.42.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 11.42.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 11.42.24 PM.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bsuge04 said:

I saw these videos too. I think I made the right choice going with them over the V10. The carbon core, the integrated knee block, and the thicker HD foam in the blocker will feel more similar to my Hyperlite’s. I went with the soft boot and soft thigh flex (double break). My hips are getting stiffer as I get older. I did end up placing an order last week. Going to give the 70* glove a try. I did end up going back to customized and placed an order for these:

For what it's worth, the Velocity line also has the integrated knee block.

7 hours ago, keeperton said:

For what it's worth, the Velocity line also has the integrated knee block.

Glad to see more companies slowly start to adopt an integrated knee block. It's my favourite piece of my Ultrasonics and has been a major reason why I haven't been too tempted at any other brands. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Glad to see more companies slowly start to adopt an integrated knee block. It's my favourite piece of my Ultrasonics and has been a major reason why I haven't been too tempted at any other brands. 

I mostly agree, though I do think the True knee block is sufficiently stiff. Personally I like the "Stabiliflex" style, even if I prefer a rather stiff pad, because when you lean I like it to move a little bit instead of fight and you never want to build a bridge too rigid.

7 hours ago, keeperton said:

I mostly agree, though I do think the True knee block is sufficiently stiff. Personally I like the "Stabiliflex" style, even if I prefer a rather stiff pad, because when you lean I like it to move a little bit instead of fight and you never want to build a bridge too rigid.

I've never used a Stabiliflex, just Stabilislide. I always have been curious if it's better for me or not. 

I do really like my Stabilislide as it is though and have never felt it getting in the way. 

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've never used a Stabiliflex, just Stabilislide. I always have been curious if it's better for me or not. 

I do really like my Stabilislide as it is though and have never felt it getting in the way. 

I never noticed stabilislide getting in the way either until I was going back and forth between it and Warrior's knee block. Stabilislide felt a little clunky to me after using a softer knee block for awhile

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

I never noticed stabilislide getting in the way either until I was going back and forth between it and Warrior's knee block. Stabilislide felt a little clunky to me after using a softer knee block for awhile

I'd have to try another pad and see how it would compare. 

You know what felt clunky to me? The integrated calf portion of the Mach. If I was to get a new set, it would include the removal of the calf bracket. 

Which sucks, because you have to pay extra to have less. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:12 AM, pfeiffjay54 said:

Thanks for sharing the image and mentioning me. It only took Vaughn four years to copy my idea. lol. ser33 is moving the goalkeeper industry forward. ahahaha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

SLR4s rolled into my shop sometime in the last week. Knee blocker feels nice and stable, close to Stabilislide stiffness.

The catcher felt like a mix between a 590 and 580 break. It had a bit of the flop in the tee that the 580s are known for. Palm felt really beefy too.

Blocker felt pretty good too, but they need to tighten up/thin out the palm materials, IMO. But I could be too used to a Bauer palm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 3:05 PM, bsuge04 said:

I put my order in for a custom set of pads last week, curious to see if the 6-8 week lead time holds. Pure Hockey is quoting 6-8 weeks and that was confirmed by their goalie rep, but goalie monkey's website is quoting 10-14 weeks lead for vaughn.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UCLALabrat said:

I put my order in for a custom set of pads last week, curious to see if the 6-8 week lead time holds. Pure Hockey is quoting 6-8 weeks and that was confirmed by their goalie rep, but goalie monkey's website is quoting 10-14 weeks lead for vaughn.

I was quoted 14+ weeks so we shall see. I placed my order January 18th.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:44 AM, UCLALabrat said:

On 2/21/2024 at 7:57 PM, bsuge04 said:

I was quoted 14+ weeks so we shall see. I placed my order January 18th.

For what it's worth, I'm currently in conversation to get a set of SLR4s and I was told 6-7 weeks, as of a couple days ago.

• Like 1