Rare Setups

TheGoalNet

30044_large.png.739a179e96785557641710994c9444cf.png

Excuse the poor quality — I saved this image on my computer years ago, and have no idea where it came from. I believe this is Brodeur trying out some unbranded Sherwood prototypes in the summer of 2009, when he switched from Reebok to Sherwood.

Brodeur's Sherwood gear was never the "actual" T-100 MB30 Sherwood gear  — the first Sherwood gear he wore in fall 2009 were pretty much the standard "Brodeur specs", and had very little to do with the actual line of gear. Over the next few seasons he did embrace more and more specs that made his gear a bit closer to the actual T-100 line, along with some general modernizations.

Re: this picture, my guess is that Sherwood simply cloned his Reeboks (which were themselves an amalgamation of his old gear) to make this prototype, and then once they'd successfully replicated his specs to his approval, they went back and built his first "real" Sherwood set with graphics, etc. Still, pretty cool to see a pro testing out a completely unbranded set of gear.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, MTH said:

Mike Vernon in a SK600 lid. Normally wore the CCM HT2 combo. 

cut.jpg

This picture is heavenly on so many levels....

I totally agree. I’m like 99% sure I tried to draw this exact photo as a kid, I was so taken with it. Vernon always has great shots for his hockey cards and panini stickers. 

23 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Somebody find me the mask Tommy Soderstrom had made for him.  I think it had a skull on it.   I know he never strayed from his bird cage.  

I don´t remember that but if I remember right Irbe wore a mask some time in Dallas (?) and went quickly back to Jofa

I'm not sure how "rare" it is when you think of all the different gear he experimented with throughout his career, but seeing Tim Thomas with a 'regular' mask (especially with a cat-eye) was something you only got at the very beginning and end of his time in the NHL.

download.jpg.d9e5da8a882203baa5d954877df509f7.jpg480358165.jpg.5ac00a76b6d559dcbd533289a92cc502.jpg

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I'm not sure how "rare" it is when you think of all the different gear he experimented with throughout his career, but seeing Tim Thomas with a 'regular' mask (especially with a cat-eye) was something you only got at the very beginning and end of his time in the NHL.

download.jpg.d9e5da8a882203baa5d954877df509f7.jpg480358165.jpg.5ac00a76b6d559dcbd533289a92cc502.jpg

Man that guy has a huge melon. No wonder he wore those goofy masks, he's overflowing in that black one. 

Hexy wore Kenesky pads in 1987. They were all brown. He went to white Cooper pads the following few years. Appears that Kenesky made him an all white pair he wore in practices and all but not in regular season games (as far as I know):

37X.jpg

fetch?id=2859968

You can see his 1987-1988 mask, The classic Cooper leather gloves still.

While on Hexy... here's a rare 'setup'. Hextall without his normal facial hair.

ron-hextall-1481223941.jpg

2 hours ago, MTH said:

fetch?id=2859968

While on Hexy... here's a rare 'setup'. Hextall without his normal facial hair.

ron-hextall-1481223941.jpg

Man when I was learning to play goal on ice, transitioning from street hockey to ice hockey, I wanted to play like this. I was anti-butterfly in those days. I wanted to be the next Hextall or Ranford. Of course, it wasn’t long until I realized how much more efficient butterfly was. I do throw in a move like the save above every once in a while. 

Hextall was always minus 2 on the pads but plus 2 on the mustache. 😄

Yeah as far as I can remember, the league ok'd it, he tried it out in the Rangers camp and they subsequently waived him (I remember there being a quote from one of the rangers brass about him playing well but the skaters in front of him reacted differently or couldn't trust a goalie that couldn't immediately catch / kill a puck) but then in the minors he also got a serious knee ligament injury. At that point I think he just decided to take, or was advised to take by his agent, the $5m insurance payout for injury leading to a loss of career. 

I think that white Brians glove might be someone else btw - H series stuff was from around 2010ish whilst i can only remember DB wearing a black and white Vaughn or the red one in the alumni game pic.  

I know his Velocity sets were just stock graphics - but they were pretty simple and paired well with the Rangers uniforms. I couldn't find any action shots of him in the red based gear with a regular catch glove on. Would be an interesting home/away gear pairing though.

Did he look to jump on Team Canada?

5f319d80.jpg

3 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Better look at the blocker/glove. Dan had a nerve injury where he could no longer catch high shots. The idea with this hybrid glove was to block high shots and switch his hand over to catch low shots.

block.jpg

block1.jpg

The Brian's "glocker" was made by Roddy in the day. He posted it on GSBB:

004-12_zps8b715b32.jpg

005-21_zps1be1de9d.jpg

Was for an older goalie who had some injuries he was playing with. So Rod, the legend, made this.

Archived