Crazy Consumer Reports Idea

TheGoalNet

So I love the idea of being neutral and also posting reviews of the latest gear. Given this isn't exactly a profit gig, this will be sort of tough... 

does anyone think it would work to do something crazy like this? 

Assuming we get the membership up to a good number, what if we charged like $20 a person, bought a set of set gear, let 3-5 members test it and review it, and then auctioned it off? The $20 contribution would be like buying a raffle ticket 

That could be something that could work. You may want some sort of merchandise package or special access to exclusive parts of the web site or something like that to add value to the membership (and entice new paid membership). Merchandise can be a great way to raise money for stuff like this, anyway. You can get a fair bit of mark up if you can make good deals on private labelling.

2 hours ago, Mike24 said:

I'm ok with doing something like that. 

But  sizing of pads might be an issue.  

I thought about that. In that case, you could auction the pads off or sell them on eBay? You would still Get at least $800 for something you $20 for?

Not to be a downer on this idea, however, I think there are regulations around these types of raffles/auctions (at least until Trump eliminates them).    I knew a guy once who got in some hot water with the authorities from a similar idea.   He had a car that he wanted to sell, however, instead of selling it in Auto-trader, etc, he decided to sell 200 raffle tickets for $100 each.   The winning ticket holder would get the car, and he would walk away with $20K in his pocket, which was a few grand more than the car was worth.     He ended up having to return all of the money and eventually sold it the normal way. 

1 hour ago, Srsieve said:

Not to be a downer on this idea, however, I think there are regulations around these types of raffles/auctions (at least until Trump eliminates them).    I knew a guy once who got in some hot water with the authorities from a similar idea.   He had a car that he wanted to sell, however, instead of selling it in Auto-trader, etc, he decided to sell 200 raffle tickets for $100 each.   The winning ticket holder would get the car, and he would walk away with $20K in his pocket, which was a few grand more than the car was worth.     He ended up having to return all of the money and eventually sold it the normal way. 

Appreciate the serious feedback. There might be one difference here? I am not trying to profit. I would use the "tickets" to cover the cost of the gear and that is it. I would not make any money 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Appreciate the serious feedback. There might be one difference here? I am not trying to profit. I would use the "tickets" to cover the cost of the gear and that is it. I would not make any money 

One of the reasons why I advocate for product to be sold is for the perpetual ability to purchase gear. I just don't see $20 per person to purchase much in the big picture, especially if you want to remain independent in your testing. 

I tried having an independent bike testing website years ago. That was my lesson.

Right, but if I can 3-5 guys my height... then we can have multiple review 

if you win and they're not your size, still a great payout via eBay. $20 ticket = $800ish dollar value in resale 

first off, we need to get the number of users up or it's a pointless idea 

Don't freak out yet- we will end up with a few more adopters.

I am gently trying to sell the virtues of this forum. You have to remember that despite the horrible interface of the old forum, kicking you off after writing an epic post (and thusly having it lost forever), people hope for it to come back. 

THIS place is the future. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Don't freak out yet- we will end up with a few more adopters.

I am gently trying to sell the virtues of this forum. You have to remember that despite the horrible interface of the old forum, kicking you off after writing an epic post (and thusly having it lost forever), people hope for it to come back. 

THIS place is the future. 

That's why if its a long involved post I always copy it before I post it.  Just in case lol.

• 9 months later...

A city boy, Kenny, moved to the country and bought a donkey from a farmer for $100. The next day the farmer delivered the donkey.

“Sorry son,” the farmer said, “the donkey died.”

Kenny asked for his money back, but the farmer said he already spent it.

Kenny said, “OK, then, just unload the donkey. I’ll raffle him off.”

A month later the farmer met up with Kenny, who said he sold 500 raffle tickets at $2 each and made a profit of $898.”

“Didn’t anyone complain because the donkey was dead?” the farmer asked.

“Just the guy who won,” Kenny explained, “So I gave him his two dollars back!”

From my understanding raffles with prizes worth less than $50k are a municipal thing in Canada and not federal. And although you're not looking for profit, what would happen to any extra money you get? What happens if you don't make enough off tickets to purchase the gear? Or would you purchase it first and then sell tickets? Offering incentives to buy, like access to extra site content is great, but what happens if all of the good content becomes pay-only? Not trying to be negative, just looking at logistics. Small businesses do things like this often with machinery/tech they try out but doesn't suit them, but this isn't a business. It is a great idea.

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2017 at 10:38 PM, TheGoalNet said:

So I love the idea of being neutral and also posting reviews of the latest gear. Given this isn't exactly a profit gig, this will be sort of tough... 

does anyone think it would work to do something crazy like this? 

Assuming we get the membership up to a good number, what if we charged like $20 a person, bought a set of set gear, let 3-5 members test it and review it, and then auctioned it off? The $20 contribution would be like buying a raffle ticket 

I might be able to help by getting us gear at a cheaper cost to if you pm me and we can maybe work out some deals!  Ps I want to be doing reviews as well!  It would also help for some promotion for our store!

Archived