Glove Re-Lacing

IPv6Freely

Figured id start a generic thread for glove re-lacing questions/photos/etc.

Let me start off by asking you guys: What is the correct cord to use for the pocket if I wanted to try that instead of skate lace? I know PAW sells it but she doesn't have the color I want so I figured since it's probably just some specific size of generic cord I should be able to find it elsewhere. Thanks!

Would anyone be interested in seeing how to lace the middle of a double t pocket like a CCM glove? I recently did that with my Vaughn glove and I love it, it makes the double t a bit more rigid and structured(I used the nylon chord) and you can see in the pocket better too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scott said:

Would anyone be interested in seeing how to lace the middle of a double t pocket like a CCM glove? I recently did that with my Vaughn glove and I love it, it makes the double t a bit more rigid and structured(I used the nylon chord) and you can see in the pocket better too.

Of course, share photos/video ;) .

On 10/8/2017 at 12:06 PM, Scott said:

Post it up

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I just wanted to say that I have started experimentation with 550, supposedly mil-spec, paracord (sourced from Lowes) in the pocket area of the glove. I currently use a Passau 60* glove with a skate lace double T pocket. I had a shot almost push its way through the middle of the spines which caused me to start thinking about relacing the glove. I decided to use another skate lace in the middle part and I changed the pattern to be what CCM is currently using in the EFlexIII.

Long story short, I ended up not being happy with that because it ended up creating a rigid center skacelace piece down the very center. In a few games, I noticed that I had a popout or three from pucks that I would have expected to stay in the glove (I have always used skatelace single T gloves up until this point, so I do think it is a combination of trusting the stickiness of the skatelace a little too much and also some of the shots being point blank, reaction type saves).

I got the idea to do this when I saw baseball gloves out there that had been completely relaced with paracord. I did come up with my own pattern on the spot while relacing the center spine (may be new, may be something that my sub-conscious remembered seeing on another glove). I noticed that the cord has the same, maybe slightly more give, than skatelace with the visibility of regular glove lace. I noticed that when I threw pucks into the glove after relacing the center of the double T, pucks just die 100% of the time.

--------

Last night, I rolled out the newly laced glove and as I expected, anytime the puck came into the glove, it was not coming out. I also noticed that the glove felt slightly lighter (might be placebo). Playing the puck didn't seem to be any issue with the one or two that I dropped to my stick in warmup. Finally, I also noticed that the glove closed easier and I was able to pick up pucks off the ice better than before. I am at work but will share photos in the near future.

The one exciting thing about paracord is that there are endless patterns and color combos which ought to be fun. I am about to order some more to outfit the entire thing. Will keep you guys posted. I can share a video of the center spine thing once I do up a new color on the glove if you guys want.

Edited by Taco
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

Tried to order glove cord from BAHR... WAT.

5a4fedb7e718c_ScreenShot2018-01-05at1_25_51PM.png.9aacbf64785e39f0c08bd83a6ec1ab12.png

are you trying to buy all of the cord?  i just bought 5 feet of 1/4" shock cord, 6' of 3/16" shock cord, 3 feet of 2" velcor, 2 - 1" SR buckles, 4 ' of 1" nylon strapping, 4' of 2" elastic strapping and 4 - 1" rings for $12 cad at my local repair shop.  It cost the store more to pay the kid to gather up all this stuff for me than the actual stuff!!! 

1 minute ago, Doobiesnax said:

are you trying to buy all of the cord?  i just bought 5 feet of 1/4" shock cord, 6' of 3/16" shock cord, 3 feet of 2" velcor, 2 - 1" SR buckles, 4 ' of 1" nylon strapping, 4' of 2" elastic strapping and 4 - 1" rings for $12 cad at my local repair shop.  It cost the store more to pay the kid to gather up all this stuff for me than the actual stuff!!! 

Apparently. LOL. 

About 8 yards of four different colors, and one needle. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...