R.I.P. Ray Emery

Mike24

54 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Has to be something behind it. Beyond shocked 

Edit: My mistake, I thought I'd read that he'd been diving -- I didn't know it was a 'regular' swimming drowning incident. That's what happens when I read the news in bed before I rub the sleep out of my eyes...

Could be a bunch of things. He could have struck his head on something and knocked himself unconscious. He may have suffered a heart attack or a stroke underwater. He may have become entangled in something. I believe there is actually 'undertow' in the Great Lakes (or some strong current that goes by a different name) as well, so that may have been a factor.

And yes, it may have been a late night, rather than an early morning. But that doesn't really matter right now, and it's really distasteful to speculate about drinking or drug use in a mocking tone right now.

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Cocaine baby.

6 am and swimming in the Hamilton Harbour? Definitely some booze and skiing involved.

Coop, you need to learn to pass on a joke here and there. 

The guy just died. Show some self control. Lame joke, too.

42 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Coop, you need to learn to pass on a joke here and there. 

The guy just died. Show some self control. Lame joke, too.

The guy has a history of rampant drug use. It's not like my speculation that cocaine and booze leading to a swimming accident in that habour at 6am is far fetched by any stretch, especially with the well known undertows in that area.

Swimming in that area in the middle of the day sober is a bad idea, let alone when Emery did it.

I'm sorry if you assumed I was just here to make jokes, but my comment stands.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The guy has a history of rampant drug use. It's not like my speculation that cocaine and booze leading to a swimming accident in that habour at 6am is far fetched by any stretch, especially with the well known undertows in that area.

Swimming in that area in the middle of the day sober is a bad idea, let alone when Emery did it.

Your comments sound foolish, and should be kept to yourself at this early juncture. Regardless of what pictures you've seen or the rumors you've read about, there's no value to bringing them up right when someone dies at the young age of 35. And when you're writing "Cocaine baby" and "skiing", you're definitely trying to be a funny guy (again, miss).

@stackem30 @coopaloop1234 let's relax, we could assume all we want but let get the facts.  He was on a good size boat, with accommodations for overnight.  The guy took a swim at around 5-6am....as the emergency call was made just after 6am.  Due to his past history who knows what on earth he as doing, drinking, drugs, partying....and decided to go for a swim.  

So who goes for a swim at 5am? 6am? In the dark, without anyone else? I'm assuming the guy can swim, athletic and all but even if he couldn't swim would he jump? Probably not.  Stupidity. 

Was found 70 feet under, could have been a heart attack for all we know or the night of parting took over.

Very sad, but the poor choices we make have consequences. 

RIP

I don't know. I think anyone should wait to know the facts before they besmirch the dead. Regardless of what the story turns out to be, the man has been dead for less than two days, and blaming him for his own death by citing stupidity or intoxication isn't appropriate right now.

6 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I don't know. I think anyone should wait to know the facts before they besmirch the dead. Regardless of what the story turns out to be, the man has been dead for less than two days, and blaming him for his own death by citing stupidity or intoxication isn't appropriate right now.

Why is it stupidity? Are we not allowed to our personal opinions? We may never know what "happened".  But we do know of his past, one thing leads to another and this is what happens.  It's sad, but these things don't just "happen".  Something lead to it.  Anyways enough said on this let's move on.

In times like this. I’d think of the mans loved ones not the act that lead to his demise.  Be it foolish or accidental it doesn’t matter.  I’m thinking does he have a wife, kids ? And how they must be feeling. .....

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Why don’t we let him die in peace? He died known as a great goaltender and that’s how he needs to be remembered.

Look, @stackem30is right. I have been pretty crude about the whole ideal. Losing an athlete like that sucks and is pretty tragic

But, I do feel that speculating about his death is fair game. I don't think anyone, pro or not, is exempt from that. It's human curiosity and shaming that, I don't feel anyways, is right. 

Look, @stackem30I won't disagree with ya too much. You're a smart, reasonable cat. But, we've butted heads here and there since the GSBB days, and that's probably not going to change anytime soon. So no hard feelings here.

34 minutes ago, goalie said:

Why is it people only care when it is a celebrity death?

Police statement was "it was death by misadventure". Probably not health related.

Celebrity deaths, particularly with young celebrities, are always fascinating. For me, they never trump friends and family deaths. 

But I know that when Barry White died, it shut the door on meeting him and personally thanking him for being the sound track to many great evenings and influencing my singing. Yes- it is corny as hell, but he was a big influence in me singing and having a sound track for ladies I had met. That hit me harder than other celebrity deaths.

When Leslie Nielsen died, I was sad knowing that there was never going to be another good film made again. 

I understand what you’re saying, and agree 99%. 

With all due respect - his coffin better be as great looking as his gear. We all know that's how he'd want it. 

Staying on a boat overnight makes more sense as to why he was there. Just reading the story it seems so random. I first assumed a boating accident like Jose Fernandez or something worse like former Flyers Dimitri Tertyshny who was struck by the boat he was in. Tertyshny fell forward out of the boat after it hit a wave, the boat ran over him, and its propeller slashed his neck and his jugular vein.

Which is also pretty nuts.

Ray made playing goalie look pretty darn cool.

If I'm Ray - this is the image I want etched on my headstone.

Ray-Emery-Braden-Holtby-fight-1-IMG_8669

sport_1383665153.jpg?quality=95&w=650

Marty Biron tried. A for effort. F for getting punched in the face A LOT.

DiLMvLGUcAA3GEn.jpg

Ray fought Andrew Peters after too. Not some lightweight..

ray_emery.jpg

1 hour ago, MTH said:

With all due respect - his coffin better be as great looking as his gear. We all know that's how he'd want it. 

Staying on a boat overnight makes more sense as to why he was there. Just reading the story it seems so random. I first assumed a boating accident like Jose Fernandez or something worse like former Flyers Dimitri Tertyshny who was struck by the boat he was in. Tertyshny fell forward out of the boat after it hit a wave, the boat ran over him, and its propeller slashed his neck and his jugular vein.

Which is also pretty nuts.

Ray made playing goalie look pretty darn cool.

These days, you can get some VERY cool caskets that are wrapped like a car! Of course a customer’s husband is a body guy and did a custom paint job to the tune of $15K!

I think MJ had a polished copper casket, if I recall...

This would be cool:

01B89E52-8307-478A-A2CE-ACF567984EDA.jpeg

Archived