Base Layer Feedback

Base Layer Padding   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want knee pad padding?

• All over the knee for extra protection from pucks
    • Only in the land area to protect your knees from body weight
  2. 2. Do you want inner thigh / groin padding?

• Yes
    • No

I voted for all around the knee and no to groin/thigh.  The main reason that ties into both is that with the different shapes/sizes of people, if you make padding too localized/specific, it doesn't necessarily sit in the same spot for a lot of people.  Adding to that, if you have specific knee landing padding and groin padding, making one sit in the preferred spot may pull the other ones out of that preferred spot.  That's based on personal preference and experience with the Bauer padded base layer, was always fighting the thigh padding to keep the knee padding in the right spot, the thigh padding affected the stretch and fit of the thighs.

I say all over protection for the knee not so much for protection from pucks, just this idea of making it bigger for more dynamic landing comfort and so it doesn't feel like you're landing on the edge of padding.

That being said, if you've got a way to add the thigh/groin padding in a way that doesn't affect positioning of the knee padding, I wouldn't turn that down at all.

second what @Chenner29 said. 1S knee pads and under armour grippy hockey base layer works great for me. Has velcro tabs for socks which is huge plus and regular cup pocket for those that go goalie cup over standard cup.

Only thing I sometimes think about is extra cut protection. That's probably the only added feature i'd be interested in.

Men's UA Hockey Compression Leggings, Black , , Black , Click to view full size

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

second what @Chenner29 said. 1S knee pads and under armour grippy hockey base layer works great for me. Has velcro tabs for socks which is huge plus and regular cup pocket for those that go goalie cup over standard cup.

Only thing I sometimes think about is extra cut protection. That's probably the only added feature i'd be interested in.

Men's UA Hockey Compression Leggings, Black , , Black , Click to view full size

Check out the Oneric Genesis. That's basically exactly what your asking for and I recently reviewed it. Sounds like you don't need a new product, haha

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I voted for minimal in both categories. 

Design wise, I’ve usually trended towards the less overbuilt/overengineered stuff. 

Yeah, I don't wear a padded one now. If I were to get one, I'd only want the knee landing area one.

I don't think a padded base layer is for everyone

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Perfect timing! My base layer knee pads are starting to wear out and I don't really want the full on bulky knee pads. Here's what I wear: 

Image result for bauer elite knee pads

did your poron rip through the gunmetal rubberish parts like mine did? thing is I have the pants version and also have the poron break in multiple spots around the knee. I use them for when I use thigh wraps (may be the reason the poron broke)

9 minutes ago, itis121 said:

did your poron rip through the gunmetal rubberish parts like mine did? thing is I have the pants version and also have the poron break in multiple spots around the knee. I use them for when I use thigh wraps (may be the reason the poron broke)

Nope. The elastic's starting to get worn out. It's not really a compression knee pad anymore.

3 hours ago, dstew29 said:

Thanks for bringing this up.

Grippy knees would be nice. My current base layers have no grip and no padding. 

I feel like more features = more maintenance or more potential issues. Padding can fall out or deform. 

I am wearing the 1X knees with garter, which has the plastic tabs for socks. 

1 hour ago, CG35 said:

In a set of base layer pants... no additional padding whatsoever.

Would consider the cup pocket and maybe some aramid fibre in the lower leg, but that’s about it...

Per earlier comments, this product already exists. Lots of choices if you are just looking for tights with a cup  pouch or sock velcro 

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Thanks for bringing this up.

Grippy knees would be nice. My current base layers have no grip and no padding. 

I feel like more features = more maintenance or more potential issues. Padding can fall out or deform. 

I am wearing the 1X knees with garter, which has the plastic tabs for socks. 

This suggestion has already been made to the company asking for support. The main area they want feedback on is how much padding is just "right"

If anyone had another ideas, like this grip, feel free to share them

I think a 1/8” thick, single, non-segmented layer across the inside of the knee would be ideal for me. Too thick and you’ll have stability issues. 

Circular would be ideal but difficult to execute due to a range in knee heights. A rectangular piece may be best.

I hate knee padding.  I don't wear it, at all.  I find them all to be way too bulky and they don't mesh well with my goal shorts.  The one I would have liked to have tried but just never got around to it was the Maltese since they were so minimalist.  With that said, I would be open to trying something like this.  I voted for extra protection for pucks(as long as it is not over kill) and no thigh groin as I don't find that necessary.  Good luck to whatever company this is for.

• 2 weeks later...

Zenkai Sports -

https://zenkaisports.com/

SHOP: -

https://zenkaisports.com/the-zenkai-shop/

HOCKEY COMPRESSION VELCRO TIGHT (WITH CUP)

Hockey Compression Velcro Tight (with cup)

• REVOLUTIONARY FILIUM ACTIVATED FABRIC: Keeps sweat ON THE SKIN to regulate body temperature like mother nature intended, all while protecting you from the outside elements without sacrificing breathability.
  • NEXT GENERATION ANTI-ODOR SYSTEM: Prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes wear after wear. We’ll go head to head with anyone, you pick the place and time.
  • QUICK DRY FABRIC: Dries 40% faster than synthetic material. Double headers are your new best friend. 
  • ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: 92% of our garment is bio-degradable by nature unlike synthetic fabric which is not. What’s in your closet?
  • COMPRESSION FIT: Provides enhanced muscle support and a locked-in feel. Get right OR get left. Zenkai garments are styled to fit tight to your body. Please order a size up if you prefer a more Relaxed Fit.
  • REINFORCED 3-D LOOP SOCK ADJUSTERS: Keeps your socks in place even when you get toe dragged. 
  • INCLUDES HARD CUP WITH SOFT LINER: For maximum protection and comfort so you can enjoy your weekend.
  • ANATOMICALLY ENGINEERED WAISTBAND: Sits on your hips where it belongs, just like the feeling of a pass on the tape.
  • STRATEGICALLY PLACED FLAT-LOCK SEAMS: Helps eliminate chafing and seam stacking. The only friction you’ll deal with is with your coach.
  • LOCKER LOOP: On interior neck for easy hang. Your equipment manager is going to love you.
  • NAME/NUMBER BADGE: On interior neck for easy player identification. Minimizing identify theft in locker rooms everywhere.
  • MAIN BODY FABRIC: 92% Cotton / 8% Spandex / 100% FULL THROTTLE.

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Giving this a bump... any new opinions or votes?

All I have to add is if someone comes up with a lower baselayer that has velcro for your socks, gel padding for your knees like the older Bauer version and is a cooilng wick away material, it'll be a slam dunk

I voted padding all over the knee, and yes to groin/thigh padding. That combo with a cup pocket would be awesome. Another thing I'd love to see added to goalie specific pants would be two straps on the front (seatbelt material with velcro maybe?) to hold up kneepads and eliminate a garter. I'm looking at modding my baselayer right now for this.

11 hours ago, LordOfTheCrease said:

Zenkai Sports -

https://zenkaisports.com/

SHOP: -

https://zenkaisports.com/the-zenkai-shop/

HOCKEY COMPRESSION VELCRO TIGHT (WITH CUP)

Hockey Compression Velcro Tight (with cup)

• REVOLUTIONARY FILIUM ACTIVATED FABRIC: Keeps sweat ON THE SKIN to regulate body temperature like mother nature intended, all while protecting you from the outside elements without sacrificing breathability.
  • NEXT GENERATION ANTI-ODOR SYSTEM: Prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes wear after wear. We’ll go head to head with anyone, you pick the place and time.
  • QUICK DRY FABRIC: Dries 40% faster than synthetic material. Double headers are your new best friend. 
  • ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: 92% of our garment is bio-degradable by nature unlike synthetic fabric which is not. What’s in your closet?
  • COMPRESSION FIT: Provides enhanced muscle support and a locked-in feel. Get right OR get left. Zenkai garments are styled to fit tight to your body. Please order a size up if you prefer a more Relaxed Fit.
  • REINFORCED 3-D LOOP SOCK ADJUSTERS: Keeps your socks in place even when you get toe dragged. 
  • INCLUDES HARD CUP WITH SOFT LINER: For maximum protection and comfort so you can enjoy your weekend.
  • ANATOMICALLY ENGINEERED WAISTBAND: Sits on your hips where it belongs, just like the feeling of a pass on the tape.
  • STRATEGICALLY PLACED FLAT-LOCK SEAMS: Helps eliminate chafing and seam stacking. The only friction you’ll deal with is with your coach.
  • LOCKER LOOP: On interior neck for easy hang. Your equipment manager is going to love you.
  • NAME/NUMBER BADGE: On interior neck for easy player identification. Minimizing identify theft in locker rooms everywhere.
  • MAIN BODY FABRIC: 92% Cotton / 8% Spandex / 100% FULL THROTTLE.

The company looking for support wants padding... This is not padded

Archived