I Think I Want to Change My Leg Pads

Max27

Im considering getting a new set of pads soon, my pads right now are starting to fall apart. 

Heres what I enjoyed in the leg pads-

The soft boot

The tight leg channel

Heres what I havent really enjoyed-

The seal (thigh rise will lift up and be uneven and ive noticed pucks go through it sometimes)

The inside edge (The foams compress a lot, makes me lose stability and energy transfer, resulting in a slower slide,etc. )

The super soft knee block (Again, losing stability and slide power. Im a bigger guy around 6'2 so im gonna look for something a little stiffer in my next pad)

The rebounds (I play more of a butterfly as oppose to a scrambling 'hybrid' and I dont like how the rebounds stay in tight, want them to go out further. really have to flick my leg like a pinball flipper almost for the rebound to kick how i would like it)

Is there a pad I could get (preferably at retail) that would encorporate the things I like and change the things I dislike? I have looked at Passau because a full set of their pads and gloves cost 1500 USD which is very much more affordable for me. Ive been eyeing the GT Senior pads because ive heard they encorporate essentially everything I like. I know they use an open channel but I strap my pads relatively loosely so I can get them to droop a little bit to help with 5 hole closure, similar to what theyre doing with the Active Drop on the G4s and gt 2s. Plus ive heard a lot of people say with the way the 360 slingwrap wraps around your leg, it gives you a secure feel with all the rotation benefits of a loose fit. anything is appreciated. Thanks

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to I Think I Want to Change My Leg Pads
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Max27 said:

Im considering getting a new set of pads soon, my pads right now are starting to fall apart. 

Heres what I enjoyed in the leg pads-

The soft boot

The tight leg channel

Heres what I havent really enjoyed-

The seal (thigh rise will lift up and be uneven and ive noticed pucks go through it sometimes)

The inside edge (The foams compress a lot, makes me lose stability and energy transfer, resulting in a slower slide,etc. )

The super soft knee block (Again, losing stability and slide power. Im a bigger guy around 6'2 so im gonna look for something a little stiffer in my next pad)

The rebounds (I play more of a butterfly as oppose to a scrambling 'hybrid' and I dont like how the rebounds stay in tight, want them to go out further. really have to flick my leg like a pinball flipper almost for the rebound to kick how i would like it)

Is there a pad I could get (preferably at retail) that would encorporate the things I like and change the things I dislike? I have looked at Passau because a full set of their pads and gloves cost 1500 USD which is very much more affordable for me. Ive been eyeing the GT Senior pads because ive heard they encorporate essentially everything I like. I know they use an open channel but I strap my pads relatively loosely so I can get them to droop a little bit to help with 5 hole closure, similar to what theyre doing with the Active Drop on the G4s and gt 2s. Plus ive heard a lot of people say with the way the 360 slingwrap wraps around your leg, it gives you a secure feel with all the rotation benefits of a loose fit. anything is appreciated. Thanks

As you know I love Brian’s but the gnetik 4 is actually all of those  except maybe super far rebounds but the rebounds are still lively from what I’ve seen. It has a super soft boot, stiffer foams,  stiff knee block is stock (I went from medium to stiff knee block and it actually is like 5 times stiffer) it has good 5 hole seal from what I have seen, check out trav4oilers latest vid on the the seal is good. They do have a pretty tight leg channel from what I have heard and seen. Also if you wanted to you couldn’t get custom and make the thigh and ankle stiffer for further rebounds

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

As you know I love Brian’s but the gnetik 4 is actually all of those  except maybe super far rebounds but the rebounds are still lively from what I’ve seen. It has a super soft boot, stiffer foams,  stiff knee block is stock (I went from medium to stiff knee block and it actually is like 5 times stiffer) it has good 5 hole seal from what I have seen, check out trav4oilers latest vid on the the seal is good. They do have a pretty tight leg channel from what I have heard and seen. Also if you wanted to you couldn’t get custom and make the thigh and ankle stiffer for further rebounds

yeah i was checking out those, i think im going to get ccm p2s/2.9s, i heard theyre a great mix of stiffness and flex

On 3/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, cwarnar said:

Passau should be your first choice.  Full custom and can meet all your options.  Craftsmanship is second to none and you will have zero concerns over durability.

Hit up @GoalieTimmy33...  Best Rep in the biz

I second this. I have their chest protector and it's great.

I don't know if they have a demo program at all, but that would be something to look into as well to see what you like and what you might want modified. They should be able to accommodate most changes you'd like.

22 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yeah i was checking out those, i think im going to get ccm p2s/2.9s, i heard theyre a great mix of stiffness and flex

I would get the Brian’s but I’m a biiit biased 😂. But hey let me know what you decide and maybe throw in some pics

Kenesky is also fairly priced and can do just about anything you want.  @Chenner29 can help you out there.  The P2's will be a great sealing pad, very stable in the butterfly and will feel familiar with what you wear now.  However, sliding, rebounds and weight(balance) fall well short of most other options out there if those are of importance to you. 

I was at PHL last night and they had a set of 2XPro's, out, doing some employee get to know all the features meeting, and they left for some reason so I looked at the gear (don't know if I was supposed to) and when I flexed the pad I thought it was going to be 1X stiff so I pushed quite hard, and almost fell over it flexed so easily. The blocker palm felt super nice, and soft, and the glove was insane! I have trouble closing most intermediate gloves, but this glove was senior, and closed like a dream. they also had a full set of CCM EF4 and one R/GT2 pad? The EF4's and R/GT2's were much stiffer pads, and the R/GT2 had lots of torsional flex. I also didn't like the CCM gloves, catcher was super stiff, and on the blocker the way they attached the finger protectors, left pieces of material between my index and middle finger that hurt.

52 minutes ago, #16 said:

I was at PHL last night and they had a set of 2XPro's, out, doing some employee get to know all the features meeting, and they left for some reason so I looked at the gear (don't know if I was supposed to) and when I flexed the pad I thought it was going to be 1X stiff so I pushed quite hard, and almost fell over it flexed so easily. The blocker palm felt super nice, and soft, and the glove was insane! I have trouble closing most intermediate gloves, but this glove was senior, and closed like a dream. they also had a full set of CCM EF4 and one R/GT2 pad? The EF4's and R/GT2's were much stiffer pads, and the R/GT2 had lots of torsional flex. I also didn't like the CCM gloves, catcher was super stiff, and on the blocker the way they attached the finger protectors, left pieces of material between my index and middle finger that hurt.

So the 2X was significantly softer than the GT2?

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Kenesky is also fairly priced and can do just about anything you want.  @Chenner29 can help you out there.  The P2's will be a great sealing pad, very stable in the butterfly and will feel familiar with what you wear now.  However, sliding, rebounds and weight(balance) fall well short of most other options out there if those are of importance to you.  

Just to clarify, I'm not a rep for them and have no business affiliation with this company.

I'm also skeptical how serious the original poster is about getting new gear

21 hours ago, TitanG said:

I second this. I have their chest protector and it's great.

I don't know if they have a demo program at all, but that would be something to look into as well to see what you like and what you might want modified. They should be able to accommodate most changes you'd like.

i spoke to passau and they said they only had 1 demo set. ill look at them still though.

21 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

I would get the Brian’s but I’m a biiit biased 😂. But hey let me know what you decide and maybe throw in some pics

will do lol

19 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

ah, i thought they would slide better bc of the stiffer inside edge and speed skin. The ef2s are over 6 lbs and the p2s are under 5, so i think that would be an upgrade in weight, the rebounds die on my ef2s and ive heard the p2s are super hard rebounds

18 hours ago, #16 said:

ah cool, i was checking them out but im concerned on how wear will be on the inside edge. ive seen they still have a binding on the thigh which will wear like previous 1s, 2s, 1x, pads. I saw they ditched knee binding but im not sure how the thigh is.

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Ps2 all day a mix of stiff and flex. 

ok cool, ill check them out forsure. they look really good

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have OG Vaughn Ventus pads and they're pretty soft the whole way through. Despite these being OG Ventus pads, the rebounds on them are still pretty good. A decent shot will send the puck offsides with no issues.

dont they have the super tall boot angle? can imagine theyre gonna size super high

47 minutes ago, Max27 said:

dont they have the super tall boot angle? can imagine theyre gonna size super high

Not that I can tell. Mine are 34+2 and fit about the same as 34+1.5 Warrior. I'm not sure how Vaughn sizing compares to CCM though.

My pads are a bit more curved than this:

Image result for vaughn ventus lt88Image result for warrior g4 36Image result for ccm eflex 2

NOTE: these Vaughn's are 36+2, the Warrior's are 34+1.5, and the CCM's are 34+2

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

i spoke to passau and they said they only had 1 demo set. ill look at them still though.

will do lol

ah, i thought they would slide better bc of the stiffer inside edge and speed skin. The ef2s are over 6 lbs and the p2s are under 5, so i think that would be an upgrade in weight, the rebounds die on my ef2s and ive heard the p2s are super hard rebounds

ah cool, i was checking them out but im concerned on how wear will be on the inside edge. ive seen they still have a binding on the thigh which will wear like previous 1s, 2s, 1x, pads. I saw they ditched knee binding but im not sure how the thigh is.

ok cool, ill check them out forsure. they look really good

There's no question the P2's will be an upgrade over what you have now.  I was simply stating that compared to everything else that's available, either Bauer line or G4's will be lighter, better balanced, slide better and produce bigger rebounds than the P2's... speaking from my experience anyway.  I'm sure optiks would be up there as well, but I've never worn Brian's. 

I'm not anti-CCM by any means either, Lefevre designed pads are an all-time favorite of mine and I am really hoping they continue improving the weight and balance going forward and if I ever get another set, whether EF4's or P2's, I would want weave instead of speedskin. 

22 hours ago, cwarnar said:

So the 2X was significantly softer than the GT2?

Yeah, that's how it felt to me at least. I could visibly see the  GT2 twist though. the 2X seemed to be stiffer torsionally, but softer from top to bottom.

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Not that I can tell. Mine are 34+2 and fit about the same as 34+1.5 Warrior. I'm not sure how Vaughn sizing compares to CCM though.

My pads are a bit more curved than this:

Image result for vaughn ventus lt88Image result for warrior g4 36Image result for ccm eflex 2

NOTE: these Vaughn's are 36+2, the Warrior's are 34+1.5, and the CCM's are 34+2

oh you have lt88s, i remember the ventus before that (lt90/80) had a talll boot angle

and, i think vaughns run 1 inch shorter. i wear ccm 34s and id be a 33 in a vaughn pad

4 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

There's no question the P2's will be an upgrade over what you have now.  I was simply stating that compared to everything else that's available, either Bauer line or G4's will be lighter, better balanced, slide better and produce bigger rebounds than the P2's... speaking from my experience anyway.  I'm sure optiks would be up there as well, but I've never worn Brian's. 

I'm not anti-CCM by any means either, Lefevre designed pads are an all-time favorite of mine and I am really hoping they continue improving the weight and balance going forward and if I ever get another set, whether EF4's or P2's, I would want weave instead of speedskin. 

ah, gotcha. i was considerng the optiks but i dont like the nylon on the knee, and its important to me to have grip in the knee. my knee rolls off my stack on my ccms all the time and it frustrates the hell outta me. id order custom and order some grip material like the stuff they use the no slip grip

17 hours ago, Max27 said:

oh you have lt88s, i remember the ventus before that (lt90/80) had a talll boot angle

and, i think vaughns run 1 inch shorter. i wear ccm 34s and id be a 33 in a vaughn pad

ah, gotcha. i was considerng the optiks but i dont like the nylon on the knee, and its important to me to have grip in the knee. my knee rolls off my stack on my ccms all the time and it frustrates the hell outta me. id order custom and order some grip material like the stuff they use the no slip grip

I love the 3D grip they use on the P2's, probably one of the best designed knee stacks out there.  It's firm, yet comfortable and has lots of grip without hindering rotation.

23 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I love the 3D grip they use on the P2's, probably one of the best designed knee stacks out there.  It's firm, yet comfortable and has lots of grip without hindering rotation.

yeah it looks really good. ive heard from jon berneir that he had the same issue of wanting his knee to stay in place, and the p2 knee helped him

i typically wear my knee lock as loose as i can to get the pads to droop but since i started going to a new goalie coach hes made my stance way narrower so i dont need a ton of knee rotation anymore, so rotation wouldnt be an issue for me. 

Archived