Warrior Ritual GT2 Pro Custom - First Impressions and Review

ZeroGravitas

12 minutes ago, Max27 said:

I did miss that. Thats crazy, how did that happen? Just a shit ton of shots or?

Pretty much. It first cracked sometime last summer from a pretty decent slapshot. Over time the crack has been getting larger and larger as it's been repeatedly abused. It's at the point where there is a noticeable increase in "feel" when I take shots along the break line as well as the loss of a lot of the overall structure of the blocker as it now has a great deal of flexibility due to this crack.

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty much. It first cracked sometime last summer from a pretty decent slapshot. Over time the crack has been getting larger and larger as it's been repeatedly abused. It's at the point where there is a noticeable increase in "feel" when I take shots along the break line as well as the loss of a lot of the overall structure of the blocker as it now has a great deal of flexibility due to this crack.

Ah, i can imagine this has reduced rebound speed?

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Oh god.

I spent the last hour writing my review just now and somehow clicked Back or another tab or something and lost it all.

I hope no one cares about what I think because Review Attempt #2.0 will probably be less coherent.

Usually the content is autosaved.  I've found that before.  Chrome seems to do it anyways

30 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Oh god.

I spent the last hour writing my review just now and somehow clicked Back or another tab or something and lost it all.

I hope no one cares about what I think because Review Attempt #2.0 will probably be less coherent.

The long term review??? I've been waiting for that one! Better be very well thought and coherent. 😁

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

Brutal... I wanna read the review.

Sneak peak... any issues with the binding on the knee landing?

No issue there beyond the little stray thread as previously pictured. It hasn't gotten worse.

But the top of the other leg pad has started to wear.

I'm re-writing it now.

Edited by ZeroGravitas

Solid review.   Between a trip, taking delivery of my own set of EF4's and a sprained knee I've still only got 4 games in my set of Warriors.   Like you I'm super happy overall and the couple minor issues I have are more adjustments than problems and are certainly not with the fit, finish or design of the pad. Once I hit the 10 to 15 game mark I'll follow up with a review of my own, but the short version is that it's the best glove they've ever made and the rest of the set plays exactly like you'd expect a set of Warrior pads to play.

26 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Review is up. I focus mostly on the glove because that was the most interesting piece to me.

I hope someone gets something out of it and that I don't come across as a total tool.

.dourikeme.png.b6ed6ddd80ddf5319dcf8e8fda63824b.png

Great job! The original must've been a literary masterpiece.

Re: the catcher palm--yes I believe it's reinforced with hypercomp. They seem to have went HAM with hypercomp (which is awesome). Their pro+ knee guards have it too. A bit overkill, but it's a good balance of weight-saving and protection.

Re: the "hand slippage": I think it's the byproduct of having no strap at the wrist, but I actually think your hand isn't supposed to be as shoved in like in other gloves. The benefit of Warrior catchers is the wrist mobility and ability to angle your catcher to the puck with no hindrance so though it's definitely a different feel, I'm not sure if it's a negative thing per se, just... different. 

Re: the wear on the thigh rises: Is it weave there? I feel like weave-like materials don't do really well rubbing against each other. On my old Optiks and a few other folks I know they had wear on the corners--luckily they didn't get worse over time. That's Primo though and of course different than Warrior's weave. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! I'm dying waiting for my set to come in. 

On 6/8/2019 at 2:13 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

Review is up. I focus mostly on the glove because that was the most interesting piece to me.

I hope someone gets something out of it and that I don't come across as a total tool.

.dourikeme.png.b6ed6ddd80ddf5319dcf8e8fda63824b.png

Where is the review listed? I can't seem to find it, am a newb regarding this site.

41 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Where is the review listed? I can't seem to find it, am a newb regarding this site.

Just now, ZeroGravitas said:

Second post. The first post is the initial impressions. Second post has the review.

You should have seen his original updated review. Was a thing of pure beauty. ;)

On 4/5/2019 at 2:19 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

These pads feel a little different on the leg compared to my RGT1. Maybe its the ActiveDrop or the slightly larger knee cradle, but they don't feel as responsive or as connected to my leg as my GT1 did. I suspect the slightly large cradle, along with my angling of the strap down (instead of across) causes my knee to land a little differently in the cradle - a little further away from the pad and maybe a little lower. I have not yet tried strapping across the knee to see if that fixes anything.

This could be caused by that block of foam sticking out into the front of the knee cradle area. If you have larger knee pads, it could be pushing your knee further back on the knee landing. It also looks like it would somewhat prevent your leg from tilting forward into your pad, which could make it feel more disconnected, maybe?

image.png.4fbfbab63eaad59550d4124fddd9b6e9.png

It is interesting that Warrior chose to put something there, when many manufacturers are moving towards putting nothing in the knee cradle. Brian's GNetik4 on the left, CCM EFlex4 in the middle, Vaughn SLR2 on the right. You said you had some EFlex4 pads also, which come stock with recessed foam in the knee cradle (not just flush but actually sunken into the pad a bit); this could exaggerate the difference you feel when switching back to the R\GT2s.

image.thumb.png.7cd28af3a91f2f441b8212a3d7d26534.pngimage.png.b053ee008704c29f24ed8666ffea5e41.pngimage.png.a78f150eae6f6279ffccbe846eff7cbd.png

For the glove, have you tried removing this piece of foam by the wrist? I took it out when trying to dial in the strapping on my new R\GT2 glove and it feels like my wrist sits a lot more comfortably in it without it - maybe the small change in angle it puts your wrist at causes it to slip out more?

image.png.c15685654dd27d8d776a781f513c4817.png

Edited by Teezle

6 minutes ago, Teezle said:

This could be caused by that block of foam sticking out into the front of the knee cradle area. If you have larger knee pads, it could be pushing your knee further back on the knee landing. It also looks like it would somewhat prevent your leg from tilting forward into your pad, which could make it feel more disconnected, maybe?

It is interesting that Warrior chose to put something there, when many manufacturers are moving towards putting nothing in the knee cradle. Brian's GNetik4 on the left, CCM EFlex4 in the middle, Vaughn SLR2 on the right. You said you had some EFlex4 pads also, which come stock with recessed foam in the knee cradle (not just flush but actually sunken into the pad a bit); this could exaggerate the difference you feel when switching back to the R\GT2s.

The new "360 active drop" system they have in place on the G4's and GT2's is more to blame. Because the calf wrap lost a lot of the rigidity that was apparent in the G3/GT1, there is a lot more play in the channel than there was previously. Especially when guys strap down to the calf.

I currently strap down to the calf on my GT1's but I'll be trying out behind the knee initially to see how it plays.

When you talked about the differences in the gloves (ccm vs warrior) and you have the open back picture, it looks like the last warrior strap is angeled towards your wrist. Have you tried undoing the strap and tried reangling it towards your knuckles, having the spiny velcro part being towards the bottom of the strap?

23 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

When you talked about the differences in the gloves (ccm vs warrior) and you have the open back picture, it looks like the last warrior strap is angeled towards your wrist. Have you tried undoing the strap and tried reangling it towards your knuckles, having the spiny velcro part being towards the bottom of the strap? 

I assume you're talking about this strap?

BackhandClosure.thumb.jpg.7e44b38bd900146faa6e3c47c65886ef.jpg.ab7d528a0875a72a7fa0c36d28c6c924.jpg

I'm not quite clear on what you're saying. There's no other place to velcro this strap besides where it is in the picture.