Warrior Ritual GT2 Pro Custom - First Impressions and Review

ZeroGravitas

16 hours ago, kippewit said:

Interesting to see your floppy issue. How do you think the new material in the GT2 will hold up compared to the GT1?

I’m having the same issue with my G3 but it seems much worse than on your video. Without much effort I can bend the thigh rise 90 degrees. Im playing with those pads for a little over two years now, 4 times a week on average. I remember when I first got them they were super stiff. Now they’re just floppy. The last couple of weeks I had a couple of shots where my stick wasn’t in front of the five hole, the puck hit the thigh rise and it just opened like a revolving door. 

I’m thinking about buying new pads and switching from the G3 to the GT2, as I don’t have a super wide butterfly and the design of the GT will be the better choice. Am I thinking right or not @Kirk3190?

if u want to stiffen up the thigh rise u can put some plastic on the backside down the slot where the velcro is, add  a lace so u can pull it back out, drill a hole in the plastic. this will make it a double break or precurve.

On 4/19/2019 at 7:11 PM, kippewit said:

Interesting to see your floppy issue. How do you think the new material in the GT2 will hold up compared to the GT1?

I’m having the same issue with my G3 but it seems much worse than on your video. Without much effort I can bend the thigh rise 90 degrees. Im playing with those pads for a little over two years now, 4 times a week on average. I remember when I first got them they were super stiff. Now they’re just floppy. The last couple of weeks I had a couple of shots where my stick wasn’t in front of the five hole, the puck hit the thigh rise and it just opened like a revolving door.  

I’m thinking about buying new pads and switching from the G3 to the GT2, as I don’t have a super wide butterfly and the design of the GT will be the better choice. Am I thinking right or not @Kirk3190?

It's much more apparent if I'm holding the pad by the thighrise, rather than holding it the way I did in the video.

I'm definitely hoping the Hypercomp will stop this issue, and that's basically why I went with no external break, too.

I haven't seen people noticing this issue with the Hypercomp in the G4s, so I'm optimistic!

And yes, I do know there's a break there, but when I got those pads it was almost impossible to get a little curve there (velcro from the profile lock always going back to the "straight" position). Now it's just an automatic door opening when it gets hit by a puck.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, kippewit said:

The G3 had a double internal break.  Since G3, we have only produced single internal breaks.  You should notice a significant improvement for thigh rise stopping power on GT, G4 or GT2.

2 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

The G3 had a double internal break.  Since G3, we have only produced single internal breaks.  You should notice a significant improvement for thigh rise stopping power on GT, G4 or GT2.

And hypercomp will make it even more stable compared to GT?

14 hours ago, Max27 said:

what is hypercomp? is it like a carbon fiber or Bauers curv composite material?

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ffF6DQAAQBAJ&pg=PA384&lpg=PA384&dq=hypercomp+material&source=bl&ots=NG-BVhM9qT&sig=ACfU3U0X82-C3rhZyPQ00KG1Gt0hLDDv1g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrzKPx9O3hAhVGsZ4KHS1CBwE4ChDoATAIegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=hypercomp material&f=false

This is the most information I can find. It does sum up that random snippets of information I'm able to find online as well. Seems like it's a carbon replacement used in the aerospace field.

It's essentially a different, more structural sound version of a carbon sheet. With an added bonus of being able to withstand re-entering the atmosphere. So warrior is making space pads.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gotc said:

Amazing looking set! How's the performance of warrior's weave material on ice compared to jenpro? Slidability, feel, performance in warmups vs end of game? 

So not a first hand answer but a guy I know at the hockey shop who's been in every warrior pad since the G1 has said that weave on the sliding surface is almost as comparable as the airslide on the G4. 

He heavily recommended that when I put in my order to go weave on the sliding surface. 

So that that as you will. 

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So not a first hand answer but a guy I know at the hockey shop who's been in every warrior pad since the G1 has said that weave on the sliding surface is almost as comparable as the airslide on the G4. 

He heavily recommended that when I put in my order to go weave on the sliding surface. 

So that that as you will. 

Nice! I just demo'd rgt2 pads from THS, but they didn't have the weave. Think I'll pull the trigger on them, with weave on sliding surface!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing some wear despite only using them approximately 5 or 6 times.

The little thread coming loose is on both knee cradles. Not a big deal though, I think. Trimming it and using a lighter might be enough to solve it.

The wear on the thigh rise, though, has been gotten a little bigger since I first noticed it after the second skate.

I'll throw some shoe-goo on it and hopefully it'll stop any more wear.

Further review will be coming. I have been in between C/As so I haven't had much opportunity to play.

20190503_130533_HDR_resized.jpg

20190503_130513_HDR_resized.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The little thread coming loose is on both knee cradles. Not a big deal though, I think. Trimming it and using a lighter might be enough to solve it.

The wear on the thigh rise, though, has been gotten a little bigger since I first noticed it after the second skate.

Further review will be coming. I have been in between C/As so I haven't had much opportunity to play.

I think the fraying was an issue on the G4s.  I really don't understand the need for that design change 

8 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I also have wear on my Ritual G4s in the exact same spot. Its really disappointing that after 1 ice time, it's already began to show wear. I expected some wear over a longer period of time but after 1 ice time... really dissapointing. I got my hands on some red padskinz and I'm going to patch it up tomorrow.  I had my G1s for over 3 years before any wear appeared in inside top corner of the thigh rise. I really loved my G1s and their durability was top notch. Not a loose stitch at all. So far, I'm a little bummed out with the build quality of my G4s. I have had a view other issues with my Ritual G4s that I plan to contact Warrior about. 

The risk of premature wear was one of the reasons I was worried about selecting weave for the sliding surface of my GT2's, but in the end I decided to accept the risk and opt for the better performing material.  @ZeroGravitas, please keep updating the thread if the wear gets worse or if it's just cosmetic.  If it's cosmetic only I'll probably touch it up with Sharpie and call it a day.  If it continues to get worse I may cover over that spot with a little patch of Pad Wrap to protect it.   I wonder if how thin the top of the thigh rise is, combined with the lack of binding is what causes that to wear more quickly?

12 hours ago, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

I also have wear on my Ritual G4s in the exact same spot. Its really disappointing that after 1 ice time, it's already began to show wear. I expected some wear over a longer period of time but after 1 ice time... really dissapointing. I got my hands on some red padskinz and I'm going to patch it up tomorrow.  I had my G1s for over 3 years before any wear appeared in inside top corner of the thigh rise. I really loved my G1s and their durability was top notch. Not a loose stitch at all. So far, I'm a little bummed out with the build quality of my G4s. I have had a view other issues with my Ritual G4s that I plan to contact Warrior about.  

My GT1s, which are in the classifieds (quick plug for anyone reading, make me an offer! 🙂) were used for about a year - maybe between 100 and 150 ice times and there's zero sign of any wear in that area, so this is something I'm particularly annoyed about.

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

The risk of premature wear was one of the reasons I was worried about selecting weave for the sliding surface of my GT2's, but in the end I decided to accept the risk and opt for the better performing material.  @ZeroGravitas, please keep updating the thread if the wear gets worse or if it's just cosmetic.  If it's cosmetic only I'll probably touch it up with Sharpie and call it a day.  If it continues to get worse I may cover over that spot with a little patch of Pad Wrap to protect it.   I wonder if how thin the top of the thigh rise is, combined with the lack of binding is what causes that to wear more quickly? 

I figured weave is essentially jenpro with a pattern stamped upon it, so it would be just as durable because the thickness should be the same. Looks like I was wrong!

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Just for conversations sake, here are my senior GT1's wwlear points in this area after two years of pretty heavy use. 

Honestly, these pads are holding up a hell of alot better than my glove/blocker. Blocker has split the uhmw and the glove is getting stingers left and right. Granted, I'm playing with ex junior B guys, so I'm not faulting the senior gear for not holding up in that time. Just wanted to showcase the wear I've seen on their senior gear. 

20190509_113637.thumb.jpg.83a2966b4750b09550e4fcb846d6b3ec.jpg20190509_113647.thumb.jpg.b2d4749ffc1e6026d1c90a0322f03fbf.jpg20190509_113947.thumb.jpg.ea5dff3657877671ec345f91ff5fe29e.jpg

how do these slide compared to the G3 or G4?  Same question with regard to rebounds?  

I'm in the market for new pads but can't decide between the G4 or the GT2.  I'm more of a hybrid than a strict butterfly, but I do slide and I love the big rebounds off my G3s.  

I should note that I have a very narrow bfly (really a Jiggy fly) and while I love the G3s, I can't quite close the 5 hole on them.  Not sure if the GT2 would help.  

Edited by jeff da goalie

On 5/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Just for conversations sake, here are my senior GT1's wwlear points in this area after two years of pretty heavy use. 

Honestly, these pads are holding up a hell of alot better than my glove/blocker. Blocker has split the uhmw and the glove is getting stingers left and right. Granted, I'm playing with ex junior B guys, so I'm not faulting the senior gear for not holding up in that time. Just wanted to showcase the wear I've seen on their senior gear. 

20190509_113637.thumb.jpg.83a2966b4750b09550e4fcb846d6b3ec.jpg20190509_113647.thumb.jpg.b2d4749ffc1e6026d1c90a0322f03fbf.jpg20190509_113947.thumb.jpg.ea5dff3657877671ec345f91ff5fe29e.jpg

jesus ur blocker looks awful lol