Best way to work up endurance

HIIT does a good job of building endurance. Or if you're not a fan of being in a gym-type setting, pick a route around your neighborhood that's ~5-6k long. Run at a pace where you can hold a conversation without being winded until you really need to walk, then walk just until you can start running again. Eventually you'll be able to just run the whole thing.

Bodyweight circuits are also good for this - do some walking lunges, squats, burpees, step-ups, etc. in a 25-30 minute circuit on Monday, then go for push-ups, sit-ups, tricep dips, leg lifts, and mountain climbers on Wendesday. On Friday, go for a 30-minute run. Repeat.

I work a few blocks away from a Y, and I've taken to going in at lunchtime to get a quick workout in - so far, it's been great.

I've lifted for 25 years and have gained a lot of size and strength over that time, but always struggled with endurance...as I've gotten older and have had to lighten up a bit, circuit training and complexes have been huge for me.  Basically any full body series of 4-5 exercises with medium to heavy weight, done in succession and repeated on short rest 3-5 times... 3 times per week.  I prefer 5 exercises and make sure 2 of them are some type of squat or lunge. 

It was like a night and day difference for me.  I can finish a 90 minute pickup session and not even be tired...I used to struggle to get through 1 20-minute period.  FWIW, I'm probably a good 25 lbs overweight these days too.

Circuit training and complexes, when done correctly, will give you some serious cardio as well.  Straight cardio workouts never did anything for me in net...skating out yes, but goalie requires more muscular strength and endurance than anything else.

Interval training; wind sprints (ideally on stairs. Get those knees up!) followed by a light, short cooldown jog, then repeat. If you have access to them, rowing machines are also great, especially for working on those explosive leg movements. (just make sure your form is correct, or you could hurt your back)

On 4/5/2019 at 4:11 PM, jayluv54 said:

I've lifted for 25 years and have gained a lot of size and strength over that time, but always struggled with endurance...as I've gotten older and have had to lighten up a bit, circuit training and complexes have been huge for me.  Basically any full body series of 4-5 exercises with medium to heavy weight, done in succession and repeated on short rest 3-5 times... 3 times per week.  I prefer 5 exercises and make sure 2 of them are some type of squat or lunge. 

It was like a night and day difference for me.  I can finish a 90 minute pickup session and not even be tired...I used to struggle to get through 1 20-minute period.  FWIW, I'm probably a good 25 lbs overweight these days too.

Circuit training and complexes, when done correctly, will give you some serious cardio as well.  Straight cardio workouts never did anything for me in net...skating out yes, but goalie requires more muscular strength and endurance than anything else.

Can you dm me so if that’s  ok I have a few questions 

All good advice.  If you want to go a step deeper, check out the difference between Anaerobic vs. Aerobic endurance/conditioning.  As a goalie, your game on the ice will benefit more from anaerobic endurance (built through interval training, HIIT, circuit training etc.), rather than aerobic endurance (long distance running etc.).  

But ultimately what matters most is what you feel good doing and are satisfied with how you feel on the ice.

I'd also say that getting stronger helps a lot with endurance.  If you get your legs stronger, you tire less.  So, in addition to intervals and circuit training, you need to be doing straight up strength training.  Not to mention that it's good for overall health and will help save your knees.  

Archived