SLR 2 Heavier than SLR 1?

Urabus33

7 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

35+2 SLR Pro carbon (bottom pic)

vs

33+2 SLR2 (top pic)

diffrrent sizes but still heavier regardless. 

4F10E633-54CC-4799-B670-A3EF68A21387.jpeg

71BFE1A6-7F19-43AC-AB65-06CB8E5CD748.jpeg

That's a significant discrepancy, given the size as well. I wonder why the SLR2 is so heavy in comparison? I thought they were eliminating weight by shaving down the outer rolls.

@TheGoalNet do you have any insider info on this? It seems like an extreme difference, and not in the 'right' direction.

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

What size was each pad please? Will follow up with Vaughn, but need specifics 

My first question is if both of them had the RRC strap, but from what I saw, the lighter one had the RRC strap.

I will say that the RRC strap, along with the Kenesky version, are the two NICEST executions of the professor strap. The K strap from Monster was a good start, but unfortunately very primitive and prone to failure and constant replacement. The new Vaughn version of the professor strap is going to add weight, even over a few leather straps, as it is pretty complex. I wonder if the weight increase as an anchor on the leg does not have much affect, much like on a bicycle with a heavy hub and a light rim. On bikes, two different five pound wheels (which would be heavy, by the way) can have entirely different performance characteristics; the wheel where most of the weight at the hub will perform MUCH better than the wheel where most of the weight is at the rim. The performance difference is drastic. 

Did both versions have the magnetic buckles? That is a nice system (I have that on my V-elite pro pads), but adds weight. 

On 4/13/2019 at 6:12 AM, Urabus33 said:

35+2 SLR Pro carbon (bottom pic)

vs

33+2 SLR2 (top pic)

diffrrent sizes but still heavier regardless. 

4F10E633-54CC-4799-B670-A3EF68A21387.jpeg

71BFE1A6-7F19-43AC-AB65-06CB8E5CD748.jpeg

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

What size was each pad please? Will follow up with Vaughn, but need specifics 

See above post.

Just for my Canadian benefit, that's a difference of 0.375 lbs right?  Not nitpicking significance of weight, just want to make sure I'm looking at the same difference as everyone else :) 

The observations I could add are that the SLR2 has the extra calf strap, and the pad pictured has no external break (so a bit less foam/material in the outer roll?).  Is the Primo material any heavier/denser than Jenpro?

8 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Just for my Canadian benefit, that's a difference of 0.375 lbs right?  Not nitpicking significance of weight, just want to make sure I'm looking at the same difference as everyone else :) 

The observations I could add are that the SLR2 has the extra calf strap, and the pad pictured has no external break (so a bit less foam/material in the outer roll?).  Is the Primo material any heavier/denser than Jenpro?

You bring up a great point: are they the same spec?

When InGoal mag reviewed the Sub3's a while back, they stated that Primo is in fact heavier.  I believe the SLR1 in 33+2 were roughly 4lbs 7oz, so were talking about a 14oz. increase when comparing apples to apples.  I don't think Primo is that heavy.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

But do they have the same exact specifications, i.e. breaks, number of straps, RRC straps, face materials, etc.?

Here are the exact pads pictured. 

The SLR2 has the extra calf strap, and primo with no breaks.

The SLR is stock strapping, single break

C0BDE7B7-5966-4CB0-9592-A20C74902D61.jpeg

91C5378B-6C08-4E4B-8B6D-F0084E07F468.jpeg

6B570014-3327-4ABC-A2F1-CC54E3C73230.jpeg

60FF41BC-827A-47DA-8BE2-6E08E680E3B0.jpeg

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

6 ounces is a fair amount of weight. But the extra strap and higher-spec material could easily account for the extra.

I was more shocked that a 35” pad was that much lighter than a 33” pad that’s 2 years newer. 

That being said I prefer “richness” over weight in a pad, to an extent but the market seems to disagree with me for the most part.

25 minutes ago, Urabus33 said:

I was more shocked that a 35” pad was that much lighter than a 33” pad that’s 2 years newer. 

That being said I prefer “richness” over weight in a pad, to an extent but the market seems to disagree with me for the most part.

Weight loss for weights sake is silly IMO. So I don’t disagree. 😀

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

Vaughn added a second layer of Carbon Fibre over the 1st one up which could add to the extra weight

This, plus the leg channel wrap materials are different, the RRC strap is both different and has the tabs to lace it in or remove it, toe bridge is smaller on SLR2 but has bungee cord attachment...

Still surprising that 2" less of overall material still weighs more, but if we reverse engineered the whole pad we'd probably just see a bunch of small differences that avg out to the difference in weight.  Like @bunnyman666 and @Urabus33 I'll take updates for a functional purpose over updates just to get lighter. 

SLR - 32+2 = 4.65 lbs 

SLR 2 - 33+2 = 5.3 lbs 

As expected, Vaughn stiffed up the pad core to make a better seal and harder rebounds. HD foam and carbon is heavier than LD foam. That is the weight change. 

Specific Changes:

SLR2:

- Thicker thigh rise

- HD core on the full face ( stops at knee on SLR1)

- Additional carbon in the thighrise 

Vaughn sent this to us directly 

AB27A248-2FD6-4FD8-A295-21B887B2E3F2.jpeg

24FFF431-DAF8-44C4-B51F-D89F34CBAD80.jpeg

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

SLR - 32+2 = 4.65 lbs 

SLR 2 - 33+2 = 5.3 lbs 

As expected, Vaughn stiffed up the pad core to make a better seal and harder rebounds. HD foam and carbon is heavier than LD foam. That is the weight change. 

Specific Changes:

SLR2:

- Thicker thigh rise

- HD core on the full face ( stops at knee on SLR1)

- Additional carbon in the thighrise 

Vaughn sent this to us directly 

AB27A248-2FD6-4FD8-A295-21B887B2E3F2.jpeg

24FFF431-DAF8-44C4-B51F-D89F34CBAD80.jpeg

Awesome explanation. Makes sense, beefier, stiffer pad means it's heavier too.

Archived