CCM vs True goal skate

Blomman32

Hello, i have been wondering about which skate is the best, CCM ft2 custom or True? I have currently True 2-piece goal skates and i have loved the comfort in them. Have never felt any pain in them. But they have teared down pretty fast so i'm wondering if i should try the new CCM ft2 customs or just buy a new pair of Trues. The most important thing for me is comfort because i go on ice about 8 times per week so i pretty much need the best skates available. I tried ones the CCM AS1 (non custom) skates but i couldn't wear them without feeling pain. I've never felt any pain in the Trues but im kind of interested in the new CCM ft2 customs. If i would but the CCMs i would defenitely buy the custom 3D ones to get the best fit possible. If any one have any experience about CCM ft2 skates i would defenitely like to hear your experience with them!ccm-goalie-skates-jetspeed-ft2-sr.jpg

8 times per week will test the durability of any skate. That being said, nobody has raved about the durability of True skates (or the VH brand that came before). The fit is legendary, as it seems that since the Reebok Pump skates changed to a narrower Ribcore fit, my only alternative for a good fit is 100% custom. 

@TheGoalNet just either ordered or received a new pair of the 3D moulded CCM skates. I think his are the stock heat fit around a 3D mould of your foot. Keep an eye on this forum. 

1 hour ago, Blomman32 said:

Hello, i have been wondering about which skate is the best, CCM ft2 custom or True? I have currently True 2-piece goal skates and i have loved the comfort in them. Have never felt any pain in them. But they have teared down pretty fast so i'm wondering if i should try the new CCM ft2 customs or just buy a new pair of Trues. The most important thing for me is comfort because i go on ice about 8 times per week so i pretty much need the best skates available. I tried ones the CCM AS1 (non custom) skates but i couldn't wear them without feeling pain. I've never felt any pain in the Trues but im kind of interested in the new CCM ft2 customs. If i would but the CCMs i would defenitely buy the custom 3D ones to get the best fit possible. If any one have any experience about CCM ft2 skates i would defenitely like to hear your experience with them!ccm-goalie-skates-jetspeed-ft2-sr.jpg

The foam on the inside of these is the softest and thickest of any skate I have used. I have NOT worn True skates, so I cannot speak to them.

However, I would be shocked if you got a full custom CCM and were disappointed. The FT2 and 2S Pro are both the "narrow" fit goalie skates. The FT2 has considerable amount of volume to them too, I know that's one of the hallmarks of the True skates. Obviously with a full custom, the idea of a narrow skate goes out the window, but I thought it might be a relevant data point to you. There is always a full Custom AS1 with XSG holder if the FT2 would not work for some reason.

I'm glad this thread was started. I'm interested in getting a custom skate and I was debating between both these brands. I've read mixed reviews on the trues so I'm a bit reluctant to drop over $800 over them. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything about ccm custom skates. 

Any know which skate has the higher attack angle? 

31 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@TheGoalNet you're basically saying the CCM FT stock are more of a narrow fit like the 2s? No wider boot option unless the EE? 

That's in line with what I've heard from my inquires which concerns me a bit. I'm in reg width 1X right now and I need to get into wide ASAP but I was hoping to try out a pair of these new CCM first but if they are built for narrower foots there is no way I'm squeezing into them. I would have to assume I'm a Tacks fit for CCM but getting any info on the AS1 with the new XSG cowlings has been hard to come by.

57 minutes ago, wox33 said:

That's in line with what I've heard from my inquires which concerns me a bit. I'm in reg width 1X right now and I need to get into wide ASAP but I was hoping to try out a pair of these new CCM first but if they are built for narrower foots there is no way I'm squeezing into them. I would have to assume I'm a Tacks fit for CCM but getting any info on the AS1 with the new XSG cowlings has been hard to come by.

Like you I'm wide as they come. I wanted to go cowingless, but dropping over a grand here for custom is a no go. I can get a deal on stock skates so it looks like I'm going 2x Vapors EE cuz in store the 1X fit. I'm still going to trt CCM FT in stores see how they feel but if it's a regular skate narrow fit no way I'm getting in. 

If you do get to try it let me know how it goes. 

Same here. The 1X pair I have I got used just to try out the cowling-less and now that I have there is no going back. They are a half size bigger than what I usually wear to make up for the fact they are not EE width and it's starting to cause foot problems but I'm not doing a grand for skates when I see how quickly these 1X broke down and Trues reputation hasn't done them any favors either.

I hope to get somewhere that actually has the FTs in stock but it sounds like that may not be until mid to late May.

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

Same here. The 1X pair I have I got used just to try out the cowling-less and now that I have there is no going back. They are a half size bigger than what I usually wear to make up for the fact they are not EE width and it's starting to cause foot problems but I'm not doing a grand for skates when I see how quickly these 1X broke down and Trues reputation hasn't done them any favors either.

I hope to get somewhere that actually has the FTs in stock but it sounds like that may not be until mid to late May.

To be honest I think I wear a half size too big but it would be uncomfortable othereise :/ so I play it safe, I'm used to it. Plus with my bunion I should go custom but over a grand is rough. My 11ks held up great for 5-6 years but time for a change.  I'd like to learn more about these FT2s for sure. 

22 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

To be honest I think I wear a half size too big but it would be uncomfortable othereise :/ so I play it safe, I'm used to it. Plus with my bunion I should go custom but over a grand is rough. My 11ks held up great for 5-6 years but time for a change.  I'd like to learn more about these FT2s for sure. 

The last pair of skates I had that were truly comfortable were my old Canadian made Reebok 9k. Funny enough they were the last pair that were wide width. Ever since I've been in regular width Bauers that I can only believe are what has caused a bunion on my right foot. That has been what is driving my purchase as on certain nights it is hard to even have my foot in the skate for more than a few minutes.

14 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have a super narrow foot (I slipped my foot into a stock True skate with no issues) so the FT2 might be the perfect skate for me. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if I make a run to monkey sports.

I was at monkeysports in Dallas over the weekend picking up my True skates and they did not have any of the new CCM gear in yet - no EFlex4 pads or FT2 skates. Apparently the shipment was slow. I would call before you head over to avoid going in to try something that's not there.

15 minutes ago, Teezle said:

I was at monkeysports in Dallas over the weekend picking up my True skates and they did not have any of the new CCM gear in yet - no EFlex4 pads or FT2 skates. Apparently the shipment was slow. I would call before you head over to avoid going in to try something that's not there.

Funny you should say that, I was there last Tuesday and was told that there's rumor that the FT2's are on site, just not yet in the system and not on the floor. He could've been wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

EDIT: Just checked GoalieMonkey's website, for some reason the CCM FT2's are not listed.

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Funny you should say that, I was there last Tuesday and was told that there's rumor that the FT2's are on site, just not yet in the system and not on the floor. He could've been wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

EDIT: Just checked GoalieMonkey's website, for some reason the CCM FT2's are not listed.

I talked to them today and they aren't getting their shipment of skates until later next month so that's why they pulled them from the site. I don't know if there were a ton of pre-orders that caught CCM off guard or if they are just behind in general. When I ordered my EF4s earlier this month I was quoted a good bit longer than what earlier orders were seeing.

24 minutes ago, Teezle said:

That's funny. The store in Texas has the big warehouse attached to it, so it is strange they didn't have EF4.

I was at Monkey Sports Irvine on Sunday and they had the EF4 pads, sticks and maybe a glove set or two. No FT2 goalie skates though.

6 hours ago, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

I'm glad this thread was started. I'm interested in getting a custom skate and I was debating between both these brands. I've read mixed reviews on the trues so I'm a bit reluctant to drop over $800 over them. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything about ccm custom skates. 

Any know which skate has the higher attack angle? 

highest attack angle (descending order):

1. True 2-piece

2. CCM FT2

3. True 1-piece (this is the only skate I've used and the attack angle is plenty high. no slip outs or push issues whatsoever)

4 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@TheGoalNet you're basically saying the CCM FT stock are more of a narrow fit like the 2s? No wider boot option unless the EE? 

2 hours ago, wox33 said:

I am saying that based off fit:

FT2 and Supreme compete = Narrow fit

AS1 and Vapor compete = Wide fit aka more accommodating fit

This example has NOTHING to do with different widths. It's about the last and the shape of the boot design. CCM matches their player lines. Bauer goal skates do not align with their player skates.

hopefully this clarifies my point... Based on my personal experience to date, FT2 has more volume than the Supreme line does. So if you are a "tapered fit" foot and you go with FT2, you can expect more volume in the stock skate. With full custom, you can add volume to the boot

image.thumb.png.5a1587b0886887069e190e1268fc41d3.png

image.png.b595ecfed5cd10e84dbd29bffa79f73b.png

Well I am stuck with wide feet and high arches so I'm 99% sure I fit into a Tacks as far as CCM is concerned. Unfortunately nobody seems to have any current info on putting the AS1 onto the new XSG holder so I may just have to go with a wider set of 1X skates as I don't think I can wear my current pair until the 2X make it to retail.

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

The last pair of skates I had that were truly comfortable were my old Canadian made Reebok 9k. Funny enough they were the last pair that were wide width. Ever since I've been in regular width Bauers that I can only believe are what has caused a bunion on my right foot. That has been what is driving my purchase as on certain nights it is hard to even have my foot in the skate for more than a few minutes.

I hear ya man, 11k Reebok last Canadian made in EE are the ones I'm on with step steel! My bunion is due to my gout, don't ask..I got it at a young age I'm not even close to being a senior lol.

Maybe the CCMs are coming out with the Vapors? May 17th is the date. 

15 minutes ago, wox33 said:

Well I am stuck with wide feet and high arches so I'm 99% sure I fit into a Tacks as far as CCM is concerned. Unfortunately nobody seems to have any current info on putting the AS1 onto the new XSG holder so I may just have to go with a wider set of 1X skates as I don't think I can wear my current pair until the 2X make it to retail.

From InGoalMag's podcast (I think) where they discussed the new FT2 skate, they were talking about how you shouldn't put the existing AS1 skates on the new XSG holder - the toe cap is not protective enough. I.e. don't put the new holder on a stock AS1 skate that came with the attack cowling attached to it. If you a order custom AS1 with the XSG holder, there is a newer toe cap that is designed to be more protective, like on the FT2, to make up for not having any external protection.

9 minutes ago, Teezle said:

From InGoalMag's podcast (I think) where they discussed the new FT2 skate, they were talking about how you shouldn't put the existing AS1 skates on the new XSG holder - the toe cap is not protective enough. I.e. don't put the new holder on a stock AS1 skate that came with the attack cowling attached to it. If you a order custom AS1 with the XSG holder, there is a newer toe cap that is designed to be more protective, like on the FT2, to make up for not having any external protection.

That's what I was talking about with the the Tacks. But the two retailers I talked to about it didn't know what I was talking about so I was trying to find out if it was really going to be a custom option or not as I figured it would be cheaper than having to go full blown custom on the FT2 to get the right amount of space inside the boot.

28 minutes ago, wox33 said:

That's what I was talking about with the the Tacks. But the two retailers I talked to about it didn't know what I was talking about so I was trying to find out if it was really going to be a custom option or not as I figured it would be cheaper than having to go full blown custom on the FT2 to get the right amount of space inside the boot.

Was it really that hard to get 2 different boots for there cowingless skates? I'm a little dissapointed. 

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Was it really that hard to get 2 different boots for there cowingless skates? I'm a little dissapointed. 

You’d think since they were late to the market they would’ve had multiple options right away but that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

You’d think since they were late to the market they would’ve had multiple options right away but that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

Seriously, like 3 or 4 years late! They haven't even made changes to the goalie pants, or ccm premier chesty just different colours 🤔👎

Archived