Bauer vs Warrior chesties

Looking for comparisons between the Bauer Supreme 2S/S290, Bauer Vapor, Warrior G4, and Warrior GT2. 

Im particularly interested in the Senior-level gear. 

What’s the difference between Supreme and Vapor chesties?

What’s the difference between the G4 Classic/G4 Senior (non bionic arms) and the GT2?  I understand there was no difference whatsoever between the G2 Classic and the GT. 

How do the Bauers compare to the Warriors?  Which are lighter, more mobile, more protective, etc.

Thanks!

I’m looking for basic general differences. Kinda weird the manufacturers don’t advertise the differences. I mean, what’s their goal in designing the Vapor compared to the Supreme. Also kinda weird how there’s almost no info on these popular brand chesties.

Its hard for me to make it to a store. I usually like to order 2 products online and return one, but not even sure which 2 to order. 

A very general description:Vapor/R/GT will sacrifice a little protection and coverage in favor of mobility.  Supreme/G4  give you maximum coverage, but are aimed a little more at the technically sound goalie who doesn't make as many scrambling type saves.   C/A is really hard to buy without trying.  I usually spend more time fitting a customer for those than I do with pads due to the number of adjustments and how personal the fit and feel is.

3 hours ago, BonesDT said:

I’m looking for basic general differences. Kinda weird the manufacturers don’t advertise the differences. I mean, what’s their goal in designing the Vapor compared to the Supreme. Also kinda weird how there’s almost no info on these popular brand chesties.

Its hard for me to make it to a store. I usually like to order 2 products online and return one, but not even sure which 2 to order. 

Well the reason they create more than one ( as already mentioned) is to accommodate those who want coverage and those want mobility.  Please don't ask for both haha.

Also, all companies want to be able to get as much of the market as possible in every goalie category. That's why you often see 2 families in pads, 2 families in catchers, skates, sometimes masks etc. Making 1 of each would simplify things for the manufacturer but then gamble on losing the customer if they didn't like that 1 chest/arm that the company would put out.

I found that chest/arm protectors are frustrating to fit, and trying to order one online is a crapshoot, at best. I had good luck with the Warrior R/G1, the Brians SZ3 was a bit tougher for me (rib protection sometimes rides into my armpits) and I was feeling shots like crazy in the arms until Dennis Dombrowski (Factory Mad) clad them with more protection.

What was the purpose of this tirade? To reiterate what @Puckstopper and @ULTIMA were saying: best to try one on in person if possible, see if you want mobility or ultimate shot deadening. 

23 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

This is a lot to compare. 4 different chest/arm units. Up close examination and actual demonstration and on-ice use are very different. Seriously doubt there's anyone who's tried all 4.

Go try on.

op: how tall are you, what's your weight and arm span? What do you use now? What have you used before?

I've essentially tried everything on you are asking about, and then some

19 hours ago, BonesDT said:

Difference between Vapor and Supreme line: Supreme is about maximizing coverage and less flexibility. Vapor is about adding flexibility and mobility to the OD1N tech compared with Supreme. Both of these lines are about using the newest materials possible and breaking from tradition.

23 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I took a look at the GT2 senior chesty...it's SUPER beefy. It's on par AT MINIMUM with the GT1 PRO.

If it fits you well, I'd get that hands down. 

forget the G4 senior. It's pointless because it's just a GT1 senior. 

I was wondering that.  That was always my impression between the G4 and GT1.  Thanks for confirming, that is helpful.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:05 PM, Puckstopper said:

A very general description:Vapor/R/GT will sacrifice a little protection and coverage in favor of mobility.  Supreme/G4  give you maximum coverage, but are aimed a little more at the technically sound goalie who doesn't make as many scrambling type saves. 

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Difference between Vapor and Supreme line: Supreme is about maximizing coverage and less flexibility. Vapor is about adding flexibility and mobility to the OD1N tech compared with Supreme. Both of these lines are about using the newest materials possible and breaking from tradition.

This is helpful thanks.

23 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

op: how tall are you, what's your weight and arm span? What do you use now? What have you used before?

I've essentially tried everything on you are asking about, and then some

I'm trying to avoid making this a "which C&A is right for me", since others have already noted that's an impossible question to answer online.  I'm basically looking for objective differences between the C&A's.  Do some act more like a stiff floating board with an air gap between your chest or are they more contoured to your body and more pillowy?  Which are lighter and which are heavier?  Which are more protective and which are less protective?  Which have exo-skeletons on the arms?  Some say the Supreme is designed for max coverage instead of mobility; however, it seems the Supreme has rounded arms while the Vapor has squared off arms - this seems to be a contradiction.

The GT2 would probably be the bulkiest and somewhat heaviest ones on this list as they do not follow NHL sizing regulations. The arms are very squared off and the padding is VERY thick. That being said though, Break-in may change that perspective. 

The vaughns have weak arms, even at the pro level. They are light and well protected at the torso, however very little rib protection. They're probably also the easiest units to get accustomed to, right out of the box. To buy their units though, I would only get ones with reinforced arms. 

The Supreme line is based off of the old One100 pro units, with stiffer shoulder floaters which do not have any breaks. In terms of coverage, it will be about the same as the vapours. I don't like the vapour 1X arms because of the exposed  Curv comp with little padding to deaden impacts on the outside, which may also lead to breakage of the Curv material. I also don't like the fact that the vapours have very little rib protection as well. 

I'll throw CCM in this ring since we're on the subject, but I would stay away. I had the first gen Premier pro unit, and was getting stingers in the arms and belly after month 5. The nylon o n the arms were falling apart and shots to the shoulders hurt more than they should have. If that's the pro unit, I don't even want to know what the SR unit is like. It was nice when it was new though. 

2 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

The GT2 would probably be the bulkiest and somewhat heaviest ones on this list as they do not follow NHL sizing regulations. The arms are very squared off and the padding is VERY thick. That being said though, Break-in may change that perspective. 

The vaughns have weak arms, even at the pro level. They are light and well protected at the torso, however very little rib protection. They're probably also the easiest units to get accustomed to, right out of the box. To buy their units though, I would only get ones with reinforced arms. 

The Supreme line is based off of the old One100 pro units, with stiffer shoulder floaters which do not have any breaks. In terms of coverage, it will be about the same as the vapours. I don't like the vapour 1X arms because of the exposed  Curv comp with little padding to deaden impacts on the outside, which may also lead to breakage of the Curv material. I also don't like the fact that the vapours have very little rib protection as well. 

I'll throw CCM in this ring since we're on the subject, but I would stay away. I had the first gen Premier pro unit, and was getting stingers in the arms and belly after month 5. The nylon o n the arms were falling apart and shots to the shoulders hurt more than they should have. If that's the pro unit, I don't even want to know what the SR unit is like. It was nice when it was new though. 

So the GT2 is pro like protection, but isn’t mobile?

6 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I'm not entirely sure tbh. The body feels the same but the large arms may cause some issues in the beginning. I think after breaking them in, it'd be pretty mobile. I have the gt1 pro and love it

11 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I've found it to be pretty mobile - not as mobile as, say, a Vaughn unit would be - but I can easily touch my ears when I'm wearing it and I've only used it a couple times. The padding on the inside of the arm/elbow is also very comfortable, which I think is a large improvement from the G4 (robot arms unit). 

20 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Got the 2X Pro C&A. It's probably the most unique chest I have seen in awhile. If you can wait another 2-3 weeks before buying, I would go check one out.

Intriguing. What exactly is so unique about it?  Do you know what differences from the 1X there are?

• 1 month later...

So I went to the store and extensively tried on pretty much every Senior-level chestie on the market: S29, X2.9, X900, G4, XP, R1.9 and E2.9.  They didn’t have the GT2 so I ordered it and just got it today.

I posted the weights in the below post.

It was a surprising experience.  They all kind of felt the same after a while.  The only one that stood out a lot was the Bauer Vapor X900.  This actually is an outdated model (2017, just replaced by the X2.9).  But this is by far the crappiest of the bunch.  And it’s also the lightest, in a bad way.  It looked like street hockey gear.  I checked a few times to make sure it wasn’t.  For the outdated sale price, if you’re specifically looking for Beginner-level protection, this would be an option, but it’s outrageous this thing ever sold at top Senior level pricing (over $300).

I was disappointed in the materials on both new Bauers (Supreme S29 and Vapor X2.9).  They were super crappy, they had that black cloth that looks like it tears easily on the inside - def no modern materials or anything that should be patented.  All the other chesties had this material too, but for some reason I expected more from Bauer (maybe because they are clearly the most expensive, throughout their entire line of gear).  I didn’t have any Pro models to compare, but based on pictures, it seems the Pro level stuff is a completely different story.  I’ve always been bitter about Bauer, especially after the OD1N’s came out, because they are obnoxiously overpriced and all three of these Senior-level chesties are no exceptions.

I ruled out both CCM’s just cuz I didn’t like the arms as much for some reason and they were the heaviest, but nothing else wrong about them than any of the others.

I pretty much had a toss up between the S29, X2.9 and the Warrior Ritual G4 Sr.  Not very different.  The weird Pure Goalie exclusive Warrior Ritual XP Sr is allegedly a rebadged GT Sr, which is now outdated.  Very similar to the current G4 Sr, but maybe thinner protection and definitely not as good looking as the G4.  I would not recommend the XP.

Left the store empty handed, undecided between the Bauer’s and G4 and hoping the GT2 would be the right one.  

Then I got the Warrior Ritual GT2 Sr.  Sans the X900, this chestie is definitely much different than the others, but in the opposite way.  This is the Senior-level tank some of you are looking for.  I had to check the label multiple times to make sure it was not a Pro.  This thing is beefy AF and the arms are ginormous and def max protection. You won’t hurt your arms.  I don’t necessarily care for such protection and I’m questioning my mobility in it.  It’s more like you don’t have to move your arms, they just stick out the side and there’s still no gap between your arms and torso.  It’s wider than it’s tall.  It’s also the heaviest - Pro level weight.  This chestie is definitely the best value at $320 and puts Bauer’s $350 X2.9 to shame.  Of note, the sewed in patch that has the “R/GT2” logo on the left shoulder, was sewed in upside down.  This is definitely a production mistake and I wonder how many units this happened to. 

Unfortunately, I have to regrettably pass on the GT2, primarily because of its weight (one of my top priorities), the protection (hence mobility) is overkill for my liking, and a tiny bit because the logo is upside down, which looks very weird.  I’m going to have to check out those Bauers and G4 again.

The Vaughn Ventus doesn’t suck. I’ve had a stock unit for ~4 years of 2ish nights a week and have faced all level of shots with no stingers. I tried on the Velocity at the store and it felt thin comparatively. I’d not hesitate to buy a new model Ventus off the shelf. 

7 minutes ago, Taco said:

The Vaughn Ventus doesn’t suck. I’ve had a stock unit for ~4 years of 2ish nights a week and have faced all level of shots with no stingers. I tried on the Velocity at the store and it felt thin comparatively. I’d not hesitate to buy a new model Ventus off the shelf. 

Even though I'm in a G/T, I'd definitely parrot this sentiment.

Had the LT90 for a few years and the protection in the arms/shoulders was great. Only ended up getting rid of it as the body was pretty short on the first model. They addressed this on the LT98 and SLR's.

13 hours ago, Isles12 said:

@BonesDT

Any consideration for Vaughn? If mobility and light weight are your priorities? Some of their senior level units are pretty decent or get a used pro one for cheap

Vaughn’s product line has always confused me. They don’t specifically advertise any chest as “Senior”. Rather it seems they have “Pro” and “Pro Carbon”. I did notice they seem to carry one chestie in the Senior-level price range, I think it’s the Ventus. Always thought it was odd they don’t have a Velocity in that price range as that’s their famous line. 

Ive never heard anything especially positive about the Senior-level Ventus, if anything about it at all. Furthermore, the store I went to didn’t have it.  My gut is that Vaughn isn’t really a brand for my particular style, but I admit I’d never actually used any of their gear.

3 minutes ago, BonesDT said:

Vaughn’s product line has always confused me. They don’t specifically advertise any chest as “Senior”. Rather it seems they have “Pro” and “Pro Carbon”.

You mean Vaughn has the most peculiar naming conventions for their gear? You don't say.

Archived