Brian’s VS Bauer

Griffin Foster

I have a question regarding Brian’s versus Bauer, I’m currently in Brian’s GNetik 3s but I’m trying to decide if I would rather get GNetik 4s or if I should switch to Bauer 2x. If you could give me some insight on the pros versus cons that would be amazing.
Thanks Again!

16 hours ago, Griffin Foster said:

I have a question regarding Brian’s versus Bauer, I’m currently in Brian’s GNetik 3s but I’m trying to decide if I would rather get GNetik 4s or if I should switch to Bauer 2x. If you could give me some insight on the pros versus cons that would be amazing.
Thanks Again!

Hi Griffin, welcome to the site. As @SaveByRichter35 mentioned, click around. There's lots of threads on the GNetik IV and the Vapor 2X Pro.

With that said, can give us some more info?

What do you like about your GNetik 3? What don't you like? What level of hockey do you play? How often are you on the ice? What do you think you want in a pad that you don't currently have?

19 hours ago, Griffin Foster said:

Thanks Again!

Depends. I would try them both out at a store if possible. I love the strapping of the gnetik 4, maybe you find you hate it and love the vapor. Gnetik 4 will be much closer to the gnetik 3, they are quite similar in a lot of ways. Vapor will be MUCH stiffer than both. Both have amazing seal. As @TheGoalNet was asking, what don't you like about them, and what do you love about them? I'm a brians fanboy, so I'm sure I could help you out 😁. I have the gnetik 3 pads also

10 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Depends. I would try them both out at a store if possible. I love the strapping of the gnetik 4, maybe you find you hate it and love the vapor. Gnetik 4 will be much closer to the gnetik 3, they are quite similar in a lot of ways. Vapor will be MUCH stiffer than both. Both have amazing seal. As @TheGoalNet was asking, what don't you like about them, and what do you love about them? I'm a brians fanboy, so I'm sure I could help you out 😁. I have the gnetik 3 pads also

Right now I’m transitioning from AAA into juniors and so far what I love about the GNetiks is the strapping definitely and the close on the glove but what I am not typically fond of is how my Brian’s seem to be flimsy. I have never tried on Bauer’s just because I have worn Brian’s my whole life.

1 minute ago, Griffin Foster said:

Right now I’m transitioning from AAA into juniors and so far what I love about the GNetiks is the strapping definitely and the close on the glove but what I am not typically fond of is how my Brian’s seem to be flimsy. I have never tried on Bauer’s just because I have worn Brian’s my whole life.

Sounds like Brian’s is working well then. If you think the pads are too soft, order a custom set and get a stiffer thigh rise. I have a 4-1-1 in mine and they’re very stiff, but still flex when needed 

8 hours ago, Griffin Foster said:

Where are you playing juniors?

On 6/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, Griffin Foster said:

You can get  custom brians and ask them for the same strapping system. If you want less flimsy, you could probably ask them to have only 1 internal break below the knee, make the thigh very stiff

On 6/12/2019 at 10:46 PM, Griffin Foster said:

Couple different options and depending on the league I may have to wear a certain brand but I was just weighing what two brands I thought I’d like the best.

If you want a very sturdy pad, I would recommend the ccm premier 2 or Eflex 4. Premier 2 is the most stable pad on the market, Bauer and Brian’s have extremely thin and more of a flimsy thigh

Yeah, I'm not so sure that's accurate about Bauer pads.  I agree they look like cheap plastic just visually,  but having one in your hands, they are far from flimsy.  I was pretty shocked about how they felt once I was able to hold both the 2S and 2X in my hands.  They felt so much more substantial than I thought they would based on looks.

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You've held a Bauer pad before right?

i know you werent talking to me, but ive seen videos of bauer pads and holy shit they are the furthest thing from flimsy in the thigh. their "soft" pad is like one of the stiffest pads ever made

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

i know you werent talking to me, but ive seen videos of bauer pads and holy shit they are the furthest thing from flimsy in the thigh. their "soft" pad is like one of the stiffest pads ever made

Ok yes vertical flex it is stiff, but ccm has the most torsionally stiff pads I’ve ever seen

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I can't say I agree with you on this one. 

from what ive seen, if hes refering to flex where you grab the 2 ends of the thighrise and flex them in and out, the ccms and the bauers are the only ones that dont flex. 

Go to 5:14 of this for what im refering to

When it comes to rebounds I’ve been quite surprised at how my GNetik 4s “deaden” the puck. I understood that a hybrid pad wouldn’t give out the booming rebounds of a stiffer pad but it’s been a bit of a challenge to get used to. You have to be ready to pounce on the puck after it dies in your pad, the good thing is shooters are also surprised that the puck isn’t booming out after it hits the pad. Something to think about if you’re considering GNetik. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I can't say I agree with you on this one. 

ive never used either pad besides the ccm ones at a demo. You're probably knowing more than me, this is just how I feel they bend torsionally when I try to twist the thigh into a V shape

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

ive never used either pad besides the ccm ones at a demo. You're probably knowing more than me, this is just how I feel they bend torsionally when I try to twist the thigh into a V shape

I've never used either on the ice. Well, aside from a reebok P2 I had. 

In store though, the bauers are as stiff torsionally as it gets. Only difference between their lines is the boot/thigh flex. 

CCM is kind of the same way. Their eflex line will have more torsional flex through out the pad, but will still have a super stiff thigh. Premier is about as stiff as a bauer. (almost) 

Like, you're not wrong about ccm being a very sturdy pad in that fashion, but I'd say you are wrong about bauers being flimsy. Those suckers are planks. 

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've never used either on the ice. Well, aside from a reebok P2 I had. 

In store though, the bauers are as stiff torsionally as it gets. Only difference between their lines is the boot/thigh flex. 

CCM is kind of the same way. Their eflex line will have more torsional flex through out the pad, but will still have a super stiff thigh. Premier is about as stiff as a bauer. (almost) 

Like, you're not wrong about ccm being a very sturdy pad in that fashion, but I'd say you are wrong about bauers being flimsy. Those suckers are planks. 

That’s true, I just think if he wants a stable and stiff pad ccm would be good, Bauer also tends to break down fast

37 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

That’s true, I just think if he wants a stable and stiff pad ccm would be good, Bauer also tends to break down fast

If you're basing that on Pro Use... then yes, the 2S/2X lines may not have the durability some manufacturers do.  But if we're talking lower level hockey or beer league... There is no breakdown issues for Bauer

On 6/16/2019 at 12:37 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Actually the latest Premier is quite flexible and light weight if you compare P2 to all previous Premiers.  

Archived