Warrior R/GT2 Chest Protector Review

motowngoalie

I have a GT2 I purchased 2 months ago. Straight off the rack she was ready to go. Tried on all the other brands at the store and the Warrior was the best for comfort, mobility and weight. 

straps are easily adjustable for fit. I bought the chesty and 2 hours later I was on the ice for my game. Didn’t need a break in. 

I did take the pad extenders off for the stomach and sides. Best value in a chesty. Highly recommend 

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, RichMan said:

If you look at the following pic. For all you GT2 users, have these been a nuissance in the sense of keeping the flaps open?

GT2 arm.jpg

I hate those from my arm I will try to stitch them this week I don’t know if I will lose a lot of mobility or not 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:03 PM, RichMan said:

If you look at the following pic. For all you GT2 users, have these been a nuissance in the sense of keeping the flaps open?

GT2 arm.jpg

Mine on my GT1, and only on my blocker side, is super loose to the point they'll come right out. 

Doesn't affect anything but makes it harder to put on a jersey than it needs to be. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Mine on my GT1, and only on my blocker side, is super loose to the point they'll come right out. 

Doesn't affect anything but makes it harder to put on a jersey than it needs to be. 

Given how thin those pieces are, I can't see how protective they can be. The upper part though I see as some kind of dampener to some small extent.

I figured that if the side pieces were removed, the upper flaps would fall more flush to the arm, something to be concerned with should the jersey sleeve be too loose or runs up too short. Makes sense?

On 3/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, RichMan said:

GT2 arm.jpg

Yes, the never stayed "down" for me. Even with the jersey over them, they want to stay in that V shape; one of the reasons I got a different brand of chest protector.

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

They definitely want to stick out like that. I've never had it interfere or be a problem though, thus far. The other thing I've noticed is they'll also fold under the middle flap, which is an easy way to get rid of the issue. 

Wouldn't that create an even larger gap under the HD overlay flap?

28 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Wouldn't that create an even larger gap under the HD overlay flap?

Potentially sure, I've had the same thing happen and it's yet to cause any protection or functionality issues.

It's annoying as all hell and definitely a design flaw, but nothing to really worry about in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Potentially sure, I've had the same thing happen and it's yet to cause any protection or functionality issues.

It's annoying as all hell and definitely a design flaw, but nothing to really worry about in my opinion.

Interesting. I reached out to @Kirk3190 for some insight and have yet to get a reply. Not that I don't believe you guys, just want some feedback/thoughts from the designers.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got to wear my "once-for-sale-not-sure-anymore-let-me-test-it-before" GT2 pro c/a yesterday during a drop-in practice. It felt bulky as I expected. Had serious issues trying to simply push my hair back to put on my mask. Even though my pants are XL, the c/a does take a lot of room in them. I also was annoyed that my mask would rub against the floaters whenever I looked down or around. Maybe I just need to make a few strapping adjustments and see.

I have to admit that arm mobility is pretty good and protection is quite good. I didn't take any bombs but I doubt there should be an issue. The bulkiness compared to my TGC P1 is quite noticeable. One or 2 more skates before I make my decision.

• 9 months later...

Just curious if anyone has any long-term thoughts on this. I got one on a great deal over boxing day, but now am starting to have some creeping buyers remorse that I should have just sprung for a pro model. I play mid-tier beer league and some of these guys can shoot pretty hard. Was in a McKenney 870 pro but the foams have softened so I've been feeling shots.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:49 AM, indykrap said:

Just curious if anyone has any long-term thoughts on this. I got one on a great deal over boxing day, but now am starting to have some creeping buyers remorse that I should have just sprung for a pro model. I play mid-tier beer league and some of these guys can shoot pretty hard. Was in a McKenney 870 pro but the foams have softened so I've been feeling shots.

The senior level gt2 will be on par to the pro gt1. I used the pro gt1 for years without issue in mid tier beer leagues. 

It wasn't until three years in that the body blocks started to soften up a bit, but overall its still protective and mobile. 

On 1/8/2022 at 2:19 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

The senior level gt2 will be on par to the pro gt1. I used the pro gt1 for years without issue in mid tier beer leagues. 

It wasn't until three years in that the body blocks started to soften up a bit, but overall its still protective and mobile. 

Thanks @coopaloop1234! That’s reassuring. I love the fit and coverage so that addresses that concern. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, indykrap said:

Update: finally got in a game on it, and it is more than protective enough for the level I'm at. I love the seal and protection on the arms too - definitely had a few that would have either snuck through or stung like hell in my old unit.

Thanks @coopaloop1234 for the advice!

I'm not just solely here to dish out memes and laughs. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1