Step Steel Extremes

RyanR3KC

I couldn’t find anything previous on the forums here so asking now. 

My Skates: CCM FT460G with Speedblade XSG holder. They have the stock steel went with a 3/8 hollow  

new to goaltending since last May and getting my kit squared away and hybrid playstyle after trial and error with other setups over the summer. My pads are Warrior GT2 Senior.  I’m in good physical shape  6’2” 225lbs

-Thoughts on changing steel out to Step Steel Extremes for the added height and better attack angle in the push? Is it worth it? I believe I’m good with current skate set up, just need more ice time, but the Extremes have me intrigued. 

Thanks for the time.  

You definitely could go to the step extremes. Though, you're already at a high stance due to the FT460's and the holders.

If you feel that you'll benefit from the added height and aren't concerned about the added stress to your hips and knees due to the added height, then by all means go for it.

7 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Maybe a stupid question so forgive me, but does a taller holder/blades really put that much more stress on your hips? 

Has anyone swicthed to taller steel then switched back because it was too uncomfortable, or is it just something you need to get used to and then you're fine?

It does add more strain to your lower body. I've read a few testimonies of guys switching to the VH/True holder when getting their custom skates and having a hard time adjusting to the added height.

I'm pretty sure Price tried them out for a bit and switched back to his Graf cowlings as he was getting some hard strains on his lower body due to the attack angle change.

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

It does add more strain to your lower body. I've read a few testimonies of guys switching to the VH/True holder when getting their custom skates and having a hard time adjusting to the added height.

I'm pretty sure Price tried them out for a bit and switched back to his Graf cowlings as he was getting some hard strains on his lower body due to the attack angle change.

Thanks for the reply! Getting new (new to me) skates soon so I'm anticipating how tough it will be to adjust to the taller holder, step steel, etc. Looks like it'll be a rough go for a while.

Just now, creasecollector said:

Thanks for the reply! Getting new (new to me) skates soon so I'm anticipating how tough it will be to adjust to the taller holder, step steel, etc. Looks like it'll be a rough go for a while.

I'm still using the lower holders on my Ribcor skates and haven't had the chance to try the new CCM or Bauers on the ice myself. So everything I'm stating is all second hand. Though saying that, there are lots of guys that noticed an immediate improvement going to the taller holders and have had very little to zero issues making the switch.

Everyone's body and style is different. It's good to have as much information as possible before making a decision but ultimately it's going to come down to whether or not your body agrees with the change or if you're stubborn enough to force it to work.

9 hours ago, creasecollector said:

It would also force you to lift your leg up  higher for butterfly pushes, which you would want to do anyways on normal steel for more powerful pushes but my concern is that the step steel extreme is so high that you won’t be able to get all of your blades edge on the pushes, thus not getting as much power on some pushes as you need. As said previously strain to the lower body is possible but it’s also interesting to note things that could be a disadvantage to your game. 

7 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

It would also force you to lift your leg up  higher for butterfly pushes, which you would want to do anyways on normal steel for more powerful pushes but my concern is that the step steel extreme is so high that you won’t be able to get all of your blades edge on the pushes, thus not getting as much power on some pushes as you need. As said previously strain to the lower body is possible but it’s also interesting to note things that could be a disadvantage to your game. 

The taller steel is supposed to achieve the opposite - improved attack angle means you lift you leg less to get the inside edge to bite. Whether that results in an equally powerful push is another issue. 

Another thing that gets lost in this discussion is pitch. My Trues are significantly more aggressive in their pitch than other “tall” skates, which I believe makes a difference in how the added height actually effects technique. 

12 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

The taller steel is supposed to achieve the opposite - improved attack angle means you lift you leg less to get the inside edge to bite. Whether that results in an equally powerful push is another issue. 

Another thing that gets lost in this discussion is pitch. My Trues are significantly more aggressive in their pitch than other “tall” skates, which I believe makes a difference in how the added height actually effects technique. 

Well yeah more attack angle, what I meant was it looks to me like have to lift your leg up so much to get the whole blade, not just the inside edge.

I'm using the Bauer Reactor 4000's in 7.5 size.. not sure which ones are in the pic above... but man i was lost on them for awhile ... the height and the rocker.. at least they felt rockered to me. Love them now. They get more comfortable after every use. 

As far as the pushes go... I'm not the best at it but they seem to work pretty good when I try to. I don't think i could go any taller. 

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

I'm using the Bauer Reactor 4000's in 7.5 size.. not sure which ones are in the pic above... but man i was lost on them for awhile ... the height and the rocker.. at least they felt rockered to me. Love them now. They get more comfortable after every use. 

As far as the pushes go... I'm not the best at it but they seem to work pretty good when I try to. I don't think i could go any taller. 

They are 9000s. They also didn’t fit my feet very well either. I was pleasantly surprised with the CCMs and it felt a lot better. 

The blades on the CCMs are also a little higher and no cowling and I noticed a better power slide and grip on the ice  

Archived