CA selection input

Big2

Guys

i am looking at getting a new CA for my son he currently has a Brians SZ2 Pro and the new units that I am considering are: Another SZ2 Pro a SZ3 Pro a Vaghn Velocity V7 Pro THS spec and the Vaughn Ventus SLR Pro Carbon.

My son loves his SZ2 and I am told that it is the unit that provides the most coverage it also provides him very good protection even after nearly 2 years of usage - we did beef it up by getting him a padded undergarment from CCM.

My problem with all of the 3 other units is that I have never seen them! None of the stores in Montreal carry all 3 I have seen the SZ3 imported unit and the Ventus senior.

I was informed that the new SZ3 provides slightly less coverage than the 2 but is still one of the units that covers more space and I personally like the Ventus SLR Pro, it looks similar to the SZ size wise.

If you have seen all 3 newer units above and have any feedback either positive or negative let me know. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vaughn V7 is the new beefed up version of the V6 2200 that I play in and love, so thats a +1 for the V7, however not really made for coverage as much as mobility, so likely to be a big difference from what he's using now.  If he's more of a coverage goalie and tends to drop and block, I would say stick to the SZ or Ventus, those are better designed for that purpose.  I believe the SZ is going to have more adjustability though.

11 hours ago, Big2 said:

Guys

i am looking at getting a new CA for my son he currently has a Brians SZ2 Pro and the new units that I am considering are: Another SZ2 Pro a SZ3 Pro a Vaghn Velocity V7 Pro THS spec and the Vaughn Ventus SLR Pro Carbon.

My son loves his SZ2 and I am told that it is the unit that provides the most coverage it also provides him very good protection even after nearly 2 years of usage - we did beef it up by getting him a padded undergarment from CCM.

My problem with all of the 3 other units is that I have never seen them! None of the stores in Montreal carry all 3 I have seen the SZ3 imported unit and the Ventus senior.

I was informed that the new SZ3 provides slightly less coverage than the 2 but is still one of the units that covers more space and I personally like the Ventus SLR Pro, it looks similar to the SZ size wise.

If you have seen all 3 newer units above and have any feedback either positive or negative let me know. 

I have worn the GNetik II and V6 2200 Pro Return aka V7. IMO, GNetik II is the beefiest unit available at retail and I don't think I ever felt puck. I have seen SZ2 and can say that looks bulletproof as well. Yet to see SZ3, but I know a lot of pros switched that unit. Josh Robinson (ECHL) left Brian's but kept his SZ3. A story like that like always gives a lot of credibility to a unit for me. 

After using the V6, I fell in love with it's weight and low profile design. I didn't like a few things on it, modded the shit out of it, and it's now my gamer. I have nothing negative to say about the GNetik, it's just two different approaches to building a unit. Like having a butterfly and hybrid pad in the portfolio. If you go V7, hit up a Source for Sports and get the "beef up kit" versions. 

If you can wait for a custom, I have pretty much never heard anything negative about Passau and they will customize anything for you at a reasonable price. @bunnyman666 + @SaveByRichter35 will chime in shortly and Brown loyalists will hijack this thread :giggle::giggity:

Can you provide some insight into what your son wants in a C&A? Please prioritize the following items in terms of importance for us?

1. Mobility 

2. Weight

3. Looking Big

4. Sight-lines around shoulders 

5. Long term durability 

6. Price 

TGN

I will pass on the Passau I find their units give out large rebounds ( I have seen it with goalies that have played with my son - their seems to be a rigid outer shell you can even hear it when it hits their unit - unfortunately I canot specify exactly where ) and their pro model is too heavy as per the Brown!

GNetik2 CA these are hard to find - I would have to see the unit again.  When we bought his SZ2 my son did like the GN2 however I thought I had too many moving parts.

Below are the important points in order of priority - I added protection!

1. Mobility

2. Protection

3. Looking BIG

4. Weight/Feel

5. Sight-lines around shoulders 

6. Long term durability 

7. Price 

Definitely a fan of the Ventus series.

I've been using the LT90 since it came out and have had very little issues with it. Despite it being a "bulkier" vaughn unit, it's still more streamlined than many of the other brands.

Unit has been super protective aside from the odd belly shot. This has been improved upon since then in the LT98 and SLR version. It's very mobile, light, and comfortable.

Just adding my opinion into the mix.

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've been using the LT90 since it came out and have had very little issues with it. Despite it being a "bulkier" vaughn unit, it's still more streamlined than many of the other brands.

Unit has been super protective aside from the odd belly shot. This has been improved upon since then in the LT98 and SLR version. It's very mobile, light, and comfortable.

That unit was never on my radar until Bobs switched out of a Brown into it. Who knows what options Vaughn customized for him, but impressive none the less. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Coop/TGN

The Ventus SLR Pro Carbon is definitively where we are leaning towards! My son tried the Senior version and he liked it a lot I will have to go to two store to see them all hopefully we can take care of this this week end!

Thanks

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Warrior Ritual Pro has been absolutely FAB!!!!!

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Brown or die :fyea:

There it is... 

I am not sure what equipment loyalist amaze me more. The Brown C&A loyalist or the guys who only use FJ & Titleist products in golf :shakehead: 

All those companies make great products, but are  they that superior to never ever look elsewhere?!?! . . . And yes, I am stirring the pot 

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

There it is... 

I am not sure what equipment loyalist amaze me more. The Brown C&A loyalist or the guys who only use FJ & Titleist products in golf :shakehead: 

All those companies make great products, but are  they that superior to never ever look elsewhere?!?! . . . And yes, I am stirring the pot 

Yes.  Yes they do.

24 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I think it's best we take a Brown loyalist's word with a grain of salt. ;)

22 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Why?  Because we buy gear that will last us 8 years instead of 3 or 4...if you're lucky?

Pot stirred! 

I would have tried Brown but they were too expensive, would have tried Passau but I got stood up twice when I was to meet to get an upclose and personal look at one of their units,  so I went with a $160 clearance Warrior and never looked back.

Brown is on my radar and now that I am more flush, it may be my next.

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I would have tried Brown but they were too expensive, would have tried Passau but I got stood up twice when I was to meet to get an upclose and personal look at one of their units,  so I went with a $160 clearance Warrior and never looked back.

Brown is on my radar and now that I am more flush, it may be my next.

I've still yet to see a Passau up close. That's still on my unicorn list. 

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I've still yet to see a Passau up close. That's still on my unicorn list. 

I know what you mean. Around here, it is mostly Vaughn, Warrior, and weirdly enough, separate Cooper Chest and Arm units with the occasional Reebok here and there.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I know what you mean. Around here, it is mostly Vaughn, Warrior, and weirdly enough, separate Cooper Chest and Arm units with the occasional Reebok here and there.

If you check out the Brian's thread, Joz had a comment that a lot of retailers are reluctant  to carry their units because of their price. Even though it's a better quality unit, it just makes it hard to sell 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

If you check out the Brian's thread, Joz had a comment that a lot of retailers are reluctant  to carry their units because of their price. Even though it's a better quality unit, it just makes it hard to sell 

Partial Hockey used to carry Brian's CA's, but now that there is only one store in a way the hell out of the way town in my local area that carries goal stuff, I hardly bother with them, even with the name change to Diluted Hockey. 

I admit the price tag made me shy away from Brian's. I am afraid of spending that much money on a unit that may not fit. Yes- there are return policies, but you still have to pay to ship it back. On a CA, that is a fair bit of cabbage.

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Partial Hockey used to carry Brian's CA's, but now that there is only one store in a way the hell out of the way town in my local area that carries goal stuff, I hardly bother with them, even with the name change to Diluted Hockey. 

I admit the price tag made me shy away from Brian's. I am afraid of spending that much money on a unit that may not fit. Yes- there are return policies, but you still have to pay to ship it back. On a CA, that is a fair bit of cabbage.

My GNetik looked mint after like 3 years? The better materials that Brian's uses makes a difference 

once I decided on that unit, I ordered from  Canada and the exchange rate made it very affordable 

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Partial Hockey used to carry Brian's CA's, but now that there is only one store in a way the hell out of the way town in my local area that carries goal stuff, I hardly bother with them, even with the name change to Diluted Hockey...

LOL

I love my Brown, but it's hot and heavy and limits movements. But it has been good for me and I've never played better. With that said... I'd love to try a Passau, Brians, or 1X.

I had a Brians Focus and it had a protection gap right next to the heart. I almost went with GNetik but wanted a bigger update than a II beside the name haha.

Archived