Switching From Original Brians Gnetik to CCM Premier II

Jsmooth299

New to the forum. I'm getting back into semi competitive hockey after a couple years off and I have not kept up with the latest gear. I am needing to upgrade from the original Brians Gnetik pads as pads these days are much lighter. I wore velocity's my entire life until switching to a single break Gnetik. They were stiffer than what i was used to, but I ended up liking them better. I'm now thinking I want to get a pair of the Premier II's as they seem to review very well, but i am worried I might find them too stiff.  Has anyone made this switch before? Even general comments regarding switching from mid stiffness to a stiff pad or comments regarding a better pad to switch into would be greatly appreciated.

I've done the opposite. Went from premier to velocity, to R/GT1 and R/GT2.

While the switch to a softer pad went fine, going form velocity to GT1 was a big change up with how stiff they were and going form my GT1 (which were super soft at the end) to my GT2's was an adjustment period as well.

You're going to feel like you won't be able to move as fluidly and you will be fighting your gear a lot more till you get used to how they play. I'd definitely expect a transition period going to a stiffer pad.

You'd be better off in an Eflex pad, if you want something more on the flexible side. Why are you wanting to switch brands?  The new Gnetik IV is very flexible (both torsionally and within the core) and would also be an excellent option.

Are you looking at off the shelf P2's?  CCM's custom program is pretty detailed so if you went that route you could get a more flexible pad with the hotter reounds and rounded medial roll.

15 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

You'd be better off in an Eflex pad, if you want something more on the flexible side. Why are you wanting to switch brands?  The new Gnetik IV is very flexible (both torsionally and within the core) and would also be an excellent option.

Are you looking at off the shelf P2's?  CCM's custom program is pretty detailed so if you went that route you could get a more flexible pad with the hotter reounds and rounded medial roll.

Agreed, if you are worried about stiffness, order custom and get additional breaks and the soft boot and you should be in good shape.

44 minutes ago, Jsmooth299 said:

The pads I'm looking at are basically brand new online. They have been used a couple times. It says they have no external break with dual internal break. Would this be considered "additional breaks"? Or would this be standard stiffness on the Premier II's

Watch this...

@TheGoalNet has the same breaks in his P2's.  If you wanted pure flexibility you would want a double internal and double external.  But if you store the P2's upside down, you'll get a nice S curve.

Also be careful with the P2 sizing.  The boot angle is steep so you won't be able to move in the same size of P2 that you had in Vaughn or Brian's.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:01 PM, Jsmooth299 said:

New to the forum. I'm getting back into semi competitive hockey after a couple years off and I have not kept up with the latest gear. I am needing to upgrade from the original Brians Gnetik pads as pads these days are much lighter. I wore velocity's my entire life until switching to a single break Gnetik. They were stiffer than what i was used to, but I ended up liking them better. I'm now thinking I want to get a pair of the Premier II's as they seem to review very well, but i am worried I might find them too stiff.  Has anyone made this switch before? Even general comments regarding switching from mid stiffness to a stiff pad or comments regarding a better pad to switch into would be greatly appreciated.

Trust me, you will be fine in premier 2 pads. They are much softer than the premier 1 pads. They aren’t super soft, but they aren’t super stiff either

13 hours ago, Imperative said:

Side note, are ccm’s Heavier than other pads on the market? I know when I had retro flex pros and g netik pro 2 the ccm’s were much heavier although they were very comfortable. 

My EFlex 4's are approximately the same weight (within 10-20 grams) as my Optik pads. They did a really good job with weight reduction on the new pads.

19 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Trust me, you will be fine in premier 2 pads. They are much softer than the premier 1 pads. They aren’t super soft, but they aren’t super stiff either

It's not so much the thigh/boot flexibility that will feel different but the torsional flex. Going from a soft pad that moves with you like the original Gnetik to a premier pad will be a large change in how each pad moves with you.

48 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's not so much the thigh/boot flexibility that will feel different but the torsional flex. Going from a soft pad that moves with you like the original Gnetik to a premier pad will be a large change in how each pad moves with you.

That’s true. I think he’ll be fine though but that’s just my opinion 

• 1 year later...

Hey, reviving this thread because it is spot on what I’m thinking of doing. Yes I’m in Gnetik 1s still (stiffer flex than stock) and planning to go to CCM P2s.  Would love thoughts on anyone out there that has tried these.  More important - does the softer boot on the P2s (compared to P1) make a difference on sizing?  I’ve been told to drop down 2” from my Gnetiks (from 34” to 32”) in P1s which seems crazy.  Is the samE true of P2s? Any experience out there?  ATK is like 17.5 and FTK Is a hair over 20.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, CSGoalie said:

Hey, reviving this thread because it is spot on what I’m thinking of doing. Yes I’m in Gnetik 1s still (stiffer flex than stock) and planning to go to CCM P2s.  Would love thoughts on anyone out there that has tried these.  More important - does the softer boot on the P2s (compared to P1) make a difference on sizing?  I’ve been told to drop down 2” from my Gnetiks (from 34” to 32”) in P1s which seems crazy.  Is the samE true of P2s? Any experience out there?  ATK is like 17.5 and FTK Is a hair over 20.  Thanks!

The P1s were just horrible, stiff as a rock. The P2s are a big upgrade, my favorite ccm pad. They are not as stiff as ppl make it to be, mine got softer after some use. 

Archived