RGT Boot Strap?

estogoalie

I have a question about the RGT boot strap: I see it is kind of a stretchy material with clips on the sides. I like a solid and tight boot strap. Is it possible to replace the stock/stretchy one with a traditional leather boot strap? Or at least something solid that doesn't stretch that will keep the pad tight and secure to my skate?

It is elastic, but it's fairly stiff. It's also super adjustable, I'm sure you could a similar feel if you tightened the settings on it.

As for completely replacing it, the strap is set up around two plastic rings. You won't be able to attach a typical tabbed leather strap to these and modifying it to do so may be tricky.

Untitled.png.f213c895377762fba883bb39ae8bb35a.png

Alright, thanks. I see one end is a clip, is the other end a clip too, or is it fixed to the pad? ie: can the whole strap be easily removed, in case I want to make my own strap?

...and how is the pad in general compared to a "traditional" or hybrid pad? I'm coming from a V4, then now to a Gnetik 2, and it took me some time to adjust. The V4 was pretty much a traditional pad, but the Gnetik is kind of a more modern pad, but with some traditional feelings or features. I guess the RGT's are something similar? I tried one in the shop one quick, and I liked the bottom half of the pad, was soft and flexible, but I found the thighs kind of too stiff and banging into each other. And I have no idea how the RGT strapping would feel on the ice. I'm using the Gnetiks now with the optional leather straps, because I couldn't adjust to the loose feeling of just velcro straps. (Altho I might try removing the leather straps and give it a little more time to see if I can adjust.)

46 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Ditch your boot... Makes everything easier. 

I have seen a leather boot on a GT2 set recently, but @Kirk3190 can likely best direct you

I've heard this a lot and considering the new EF4's are stock without a boot strap I'm more encouraged to try this, but why? How does it make things that much better?  

Side note, how do you carry your pads into the rink without straps 😅

19 minutes ago, litt said:

I've heard this a lot and considering the new EF4's are stock without a boot strap I'm more encouraged to try this, but why? How does it make things that much better?  

I carry mine with an old shoulder strap with from a hockey bag and clip the ends with carabiners....looping the strap through my calf strap.  Perfect.

Think about what a boot strap is meant to do, its function.  So the opposite of that is what most goalies want these days, so there is no point to having a boot strap.

15 minutes ago, litt said:

The idea is that you replace the boot strap with a professor strap, or a similar strapping setup that locks in behind your knee/above your calf; that keeps your pad from falling off your leg, making the boot strap extraneous. (and I guess, if there's no straps on your boot acting as a pad anchor, you should be able to move your feet more quickly and with a greater range of motion)

Anyways, seems like the trend is towards securely attaching pads at two points only: your toes (via laces or, as is becoming more common, elastics), and behind your knee at the top of your calf.

(side note: I carry my pads by knotting my toe laces together, and slinging them over my shoulder)

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Alright, thanks. I see one end is a clip, is the other end a clip too, or is it fixed to the pad? ie: can the whole strap be easily removed, in case I want to make my own strap?

...and how is the pad in general compared to a "traditional" or hybrid pad? I'm coming from a V4, then now to a Gnetik 2, and it took me some time to adjust. The V4 was pretty much a traditional pad, but the Gnetik is kind of a more modern pad, but with some traditional feelings or features. I guess the RGT's are something similar? I tried one in the shop one quick, and I liked the bottom half of the pad, was soft and flexible, but I found the thighs kind of too stiff and banging into each other. And I have no idea how the RGT strapping would feel on the ice. I'm using the Gnetiks now with the optional leather straps, because I couldn't adjust to the loose feeling of just velcro straps. (Altho I might try removing the leather straps and give it a little more time to see if I can adjust.)

It's two plastic clips and is easily adjustable or removable. 

I went from a set of V4 to my rgt and now rgt2. 

They're going to be noticeable stiffer than what you're used to. They do break in considerably though. I wanted a stiffer upper pad with the torsional goodness and they were it. 

The rgt2 is noticeably stiffer above the knee.

3 hours ago, litt said:

Boot straps serve no purpose with modern pads. Removing the bootstrap frees up the ankle to more easily grab a recovery edge with the skate, and ease tension through the knees and hips. When paired with a bungee toe strap you get the best of both worlds.

And carrying my pads... Passau Backpack bag 

hires_Backpack-bag-shoulder.jpg.496cc3321b950d3d3c8abfb2908d15db.jpg.d649c2ce3263fdc6f76dfa708a5f61f6.jpg

I'm an older traditional/hybrid goalie, but still willing to try some new things. It took me longer than usual for me to adjust to the Gnetik's, and the big reason for that was the boot. I tried it with the stock bungee toe-ties and had the boot strap too loose, and I totally lost the "connected" feeling with my pad and skate. Once I put on regular skate-lace toe-ties and tightened the boot strap about as tight as it could go, suddenly the pad felt good. Otherwise I was getting ready to give the Gnetik's the "boot".

On 10/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, estogoalie said:

I have a question about the RGT boot strap: I see it is kind of a stretchy material with clips on the sides. I like a solid and tight boot strap. Is it possible to replace the stock/stretchy one with a traditional leather boot strap? Or at least something solid that doesn't stretch that will keep the pad tight and secure to my skate?

We make a Leather Strap Kit (Heel Strap Only) - That you can easily put on your R/GTs.

• 7 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, Kirk3190 said:

The CCM ones are mushroom straps so they wouldn't work on our pads.  Ours have screws that lock in the straps.

image.png.b1a411d40534915cd0a9fd9b3eee4993.png

mind if I ask, where can I get these and do you have photos of how they attach? 

do the work for G4’s?

Archived