The lacrosse goal: ban it?

seagoal

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, netminder said:

"Travelling" for sure. I'd like to see a formal rule that states the difference between taking many strides with it pinned against your elbow and resting in on a blade until you score. Goals coming off the elbow are allowed just as much as a stick blade, zero difference.

Deflections off elbows are allowed,  sure.  They allow goals on deflections off of almost anything.  

I've not seen anyone pin or cradle the puck and proceed, but if that happens,  that would indeed fit under the ban on "traveling" or "carrying" by skaters with the puck that I've argued for here with lacrosse goals.  

That type of "possession" should be off limits for skaters.

Edited by seagoal

I used to play with and against a former female pro who carried the puck lacrosse-like on the blade, about 2-3” off the ice. She was an incredible puck handler, and she’d fling the puck into the goal for one of her trick shots. Of course she would piss off the 30-somethings who thought they were passed over for the National and they would try to hit her, which she would be even more slippery and make them look like idiots. I was in lurve 🤗🥰

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

I posted elsewhere that I got beat on the lacrosse 2 weeks ago by a young player, with as they say, "mad skills". He tried it again this past Friday and the attempt failed. The puck just bounced off my chest. I dont like the move but if the players have the skill to do it and the D wont prevent it, we just have to figure a way to stop it. 

• Like 4

Fun fact: I saw a lacrosse goal in person for the first time last night.

Dallas Stars at Seattle Kraken.  I showed up early to watch warmups (pretty standard) and I was behind the goal in row 3. At the end, the Stars were doing the crowd the goalie, play until score drill and the puck ended up behind the net where Seguin goes to retrieve it.  He got it, and then did the lacrosse goal, scoring glove side (left) on Wedgewood, who throws up his hands and all the guys on the ice and everyone in the stands behind the net went crazy and we were all smiling.  Seguin then did a pretty hilarious celly.

It was great.  Good times.

5 hours ago, MTH said:

Hug the post... no more lacrosse goals. 

Bring back standup!

Yes, MTH! Leather pads that weigh 12 lbs each dry, leather gloves, junk C/A, skates with a full cowling that are sharpened with a flat ground, but we wont get truly back to the way things ought to be until we make skate saves and wear fiberglass masks again. Are we not men or are we Devo? LOL.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Yes, MTH! Leather pads that weigh 12 lbs each dry, leather gloves, junk C/A, skates with a full cowling that are sharpened with a flat ground, but we wont get truly back to the way things ought to be until we make skate saves and wear fiberglass masks again. Are we not men or are we Devo? LOL.

Leather gloves are the REAL deal. Check out my latest custom build:

FA5F20CA-3BC5-4F22-B353-5F9D6ED44095.jpeg

• Like 2

Honestly, the one time 15 years ago I was scored on with the lacrosse move, I WAS on my feet. It’s more about the player moving from one side of the net to the other and executing the move quickly before the goalie can get all the way over. It’s a good reminder to turn and look at the attacker as you’re about to go to the other post. At worst, if you can’t get all the way over, you can lead with a hand and block it away. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Honestly, the one time 15 years ago I was scored on with the lacrosse move, I WAS on my feet. It’s more about the player moving from one side of the net to the other and executing the move quickly before the goalie can get all the way over. It’s a good reminder to turn and look at the attacker as you’re about to go to the other post. At worst, if you can’t get all the way over, you can lead with a hand and block it away. 

@WillyGrips13 that is a really good point. It is a race to the opposite post like any other play behind the net. The only distinguishing element is the puck is off the ice cradled on the stick blade.

18 hours ago, Fullright said:

Are we not men or are we Devo? LOL.

I have an uncontrollable urge to throw out a skate save. DEVO is an underappreciated band.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got, freedom from choice is what you want." is one of the greatest lines in a techno jam ever.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MTH said:

I have an uncontrollable urge to throw out a skate save. DEVO is an underappreciated band.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got, freedom from choice is what you want." is one of the greatest lines in a techno jam ever.

Skate saves are under appreciated. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, seagoal said:

Fun fact: I saw a lacrosse goal in person for the first time last night.

My kids play. I've see these goals in Pee Wee games now (12u). Half the kids on every team can do them in practice. It's pretty amazing to see them do it so effortlessly.

• Like 1

Just now, MTH said:

My kids play. I've see these goals in Pee Wee games now (12u). Half the kids on every team can do them in practice. It's pretty amazing to see them do it so effortlessly.

Nice.  I was pretty impressed with how quickly Seguin pulled it off.  I had to kinda do a double take.

4 minutes ago, MTH said:

I actually hope they don't ban it. I think all the youngins are able to do it easily. These kids will be where the NHL players come from in a few short years. To them, it will be just another type of goal.

That's a tricky standard though.  You could say the exact same thing for so many other types of goals, like kicking the puck, throwing the puck, headbutting the puck, etc.

Being able to do a thing is different than whether or not the thing should be done.

But I get you, totally.

Edited by seagoal

• 1 year later...