The lacrosse goal: ban it?

seagoal

On 12/8/2021 at 4:53 PM, CJ Boiss said:

I still don't like the idea of not allowing players to do anything with the puck if they lift it off the ice. Require them to be stationary, sure. Automatically disallow any goals if they contact the goalie's head with their stick while attempting a Michigan, definitely. But disallowing stuff like the Zegras pass? No sir. That was electric, an amazing play, and if guys can pull that off they fuckin' deserve to.

To me, this begins and ends as a goaltender safety issue. If guys keep trying the Michigan then someone, probably a goalie, is going to get a stick in the eye. Not allowing guys to skate with the puck in the air on their stick, and disincentivizing trying to tuck it top corner past the goalie's head, would solve that.

Not to get into the whole debate here, but I don’t think the league will side with goalies on eye safety if they are using non-certified cat eye grills… but that’s only 2-3 of them, right…?

8 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Not to get into the whole debate here, but I don’t think the league will side with goalies on eye safety if they are using non-certified cat eye grills… but that’s only 2-3 of them, right…?

I'm trying to remember when the last time a goalie in the NHL used a certified cage?

Tim Thomas cheater cage doesn't count.

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Lots of goalies don't wear danglers or neck guards either, but we still have rules against kicking pucks into the net.

Personally, I dont like it. But until someone who does it gets knocked onto his backside, there's no chance of deterring it. I dont think The Show will enact a rule against it. Why would they? Keeps the league in the headlines. Yahoo today linked the NHL Network where Torts expressed his displeasure with it. I havent had anyone do it on me yet but last night a really good player did the Gretzky pass over the night from behind it thing. Thank heavens the shooter missed after the pass. :)

Edited by Fullright

2 hours ago, Fullright said:

Personally, I dont like it. But until someone who does it gets knocked onto his backside, there's no chance of deterring it. I dont think The Show will enact a rule against it. Why would they? Keeps the league in the headlines. Yahoo today linked the NHL Network where Torts expressed his displeasure with it. I havent had anyone do it on me yet but last night a really good player did the Gretzky pass over the night from behind it thing. Thank heavens the shooter missed after the pass. :)

I wish Tortorella had a chance to elaborate on his position, saying it's not "good for the game."  I'd love to hear him discuss this on a podcast where he has time to further explain.

My suspicion is that he would land in roughly the same spot as I am on this and for similar reasons. 

On 12/10/2021 at 9:58 PM, CJ Boiss said:

Lots of goalies don't wear danglers or neck guards either, but we still have rules against kicking pucks into the net.

Tell that to MAF. He wears a dangler, and I presume also a neck guard. Malcolm Subban also wears one, same for Jarry, Fleury's tandem partner Lankinen, and both Samsonov and Vaneček, just to list a few. 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

Tell that to MAF. He wears a dangler, and I presume also a neck guard. Malcolm Subban also wears one, same for Jarry, Fleury's tandem partner Lankinen, and both Samsonov and Vaneček, just to list a few. 

What part of "lots of goalies" made you think I said "no goalies"?

On 12/10/2021 at 6:04 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm trying to remember when the last time a goalie in the NHL used a certified cage?

Tim Thomas cheater cage doesn't count.

Good question. You get that occasional call up with his college or juniors cage sometimes. But I think they can wear cat eyes in those levels too.

14 minutes ago, MTH said:

Good question. You get that occasional call up with his college or juniors cage sometimes. But I think they can wear cat eyes in those levels too.

NCAA and American Junior league goalies can wear non-certified cat eyes, anyone playing Juniors in Canada are mandated to use a certified cage.

They all use straight bar cages because certified cat eye's are just bender bait.

The last NHL guy wearing a certified cage is a good question though.

You might have to go helmet/cage guy.  Maybe Hasek in his last season with the Sabres. He switched to the Warwick helmet and HM50L style cage with the Wings. But at the end of his run with the Sabres, it was still a certified cage with a composite helmet (not a SK2000). I think that cage is a HM50. I'm fairly certain at the end of the HM50 run, bauer changed it to the "FM500" with the white chin cup and the black strap now.

Hockey Hall of Fame class of 2014 | The Star

The Warwick (or whoever) HM50L style cage had flared ear wings:

HASEK PRO STYLE | Warwick Mask

This one had loooong ear wings:

The Dominator has returned - Deseret News

46 minutes ago, MTH said:

The last NHL guy wearing a certified cage is a good question though.

You might have to go helmet/cage guy.  Maybe Hasek in his last season with the Sabres. He switched to the Warwick helmet and HM50L style cage with the Wings. But at the end of his run with the Sabres, it was still a certified cage with a composite helmet (not a SK2000). I think that cage is a HM50. I'm fairly certain at the end of the HM50 run, bauer changed it to the "FM500" with the white chin cup and the black strap now.

Hockey Hall of Fame class of 2014 | The Star

The Warwick (or whoever) HM50L style cage had flared ear wings:

HASEK PRO STYLE | Warwick Mask

This one had loooong ear wings:

The Dominator has returned - Deseret News

Hasek wore a small shell, and as you could see, his ears were likely getting dinged, necessitating the longer wings. Most people I know who bought the Warwick shell found it very difficult to fit. 

I would be a CWD again if I played Hasek’s style, as you need full head protection to play like that. 

41 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Hasek wore a small shell, and as you could see, his ears were likely getting dinged, necessitating the longer wings. Most people I know who bought the Warwick shell found it very difficult to fit. 

I would be a CWD again if I played Hasek’s style, as you need full head protection to play like that. 

Yikes , just noticing the exposed ears.  That's crazy. 

16 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I miss the diverse styles of tending we took for granted just twenty or so years ago!

This x10000

Even the skaters all look like clones anymore. The 90s / early 2000 were the heyday of individual style in the NHL.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I miss the diverse styles of tending we took for granted just twenty or so years ago!

17 minutes ago, MTH said:

This x10000

Even the skaters all look like clones anymore. The 90s / early 2000 were the heyday of individual style in the NHL.

Just be thankful we have some goalies willing to put colour on their pads as we slowly buck this "all white" trend.

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just be thankful we have some goalies willing to put colour on their pads as we slowly buck this "all white" trend.

Thank goodness for pad wrap/Padskinz.

I think the lacrosse goal is atrocious and a safety issue, but I'm not sure if it should be banned outright. We'd need to do tests in the pre-season before rolling out a ban in the regular season. If there was a punishment, I'd make it simple: Goal doesn't count. If the goalie gets hurt from the lacrosse move, call the shooter for slashing, because the lacrosse move is a reckless use of the shooter's stick. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Thank goodness for pad wrap/Padskinz.

I think the lacrosse goal is atrocious and a safety issue, but I'm not sure if it should be banned outright. We'd need to do tests in the pre-season before rolling out a ban in the regular season. If there was a punishment, I'd make it simple: Goal doesn't count. If the goalie gets hurt from the lacrosse move, call the shooter for slashing, because the lacrosse move is a reckless use of the shooter's stick. 

Sensible solution. Bettman needs to read this.