Brians gNETIK IV opinions

Dero

currently have my eyes set on ordering a TGN spec set of 34 + 1.5 brians gnetik IVs

looking to hear people's personal experinces with the pads/gloves and what people like/do not like about them

*also want to point out that the Bs absolutely shmacked the habs last night*

Cannot speak for TGN spec as it's hyper modded from stock especially the pads. 

Stock wise: Best set of pads and catcher I've ever used. Great balance, feel, features/tech, quality/durability, sliding, performance, etc.

They do soften up quite a lot, especially in the thigh. That would be my only major negative. I've never had a goal sneak in because of the flimsy thigh rise (as thankfully the pro bump knee blocks cover that). The other negative was I personally wasn't a huge fan of the stock strapping. In order to get the strapping right, I had to use the lower calf tight, the big calf semi loose, and a super tight elastic professor strap on the upper calf. Also not the lightest pads on the market, but I never noticed the weight. 

While I appreciate how great the "pancake" closure of the glove is, pucks are hard to catch directly in the palm. Since there is no room for a puck to land, if the puck does not directly bounce into the pocket, it pops out. Whereas on the more classic "U" shaped closure such as Optik, a puck is much more easily trapped directly in the palm. I would recommend getting the biggest pocket possible (Double T). 

Blocker is just average. Has a decent pop. Lexan will definitely give it better pop, but it adds a lot of weight and may throw off the balance. Sidewall is still too soft and would definitely recommend getting an added HD foam in the sidewall.

Added bonus is this has to be one of the best stock graphics of recent memory. 

On 11/27/2019 at 10:45 PM, TheGoalNet said:

What particular concerns or reservations do you have?

im mostly worried about their seal to the ice because ive seen some reviews where they name that as their biggest negative. also since i would be getting tgn spec gloves, i saw how you moded the blocker quite a bit and i like a blocker that fires pucks out so whether it shoots out pucks or not would be good to know.

other than the sliding, i guess the really only last debate i would have is whether to go with the boa strapping or not.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:56 AM, Aquilzz said:

Cannot speak for TGN spec as it's hyper modded from stock especially the pads. 

Stock wise: Best set of pads and catcher I've ever used. Great balance, feel, features/tech, quality/durability, sliding, performance, etc.

They do soften up quite a lot, especially in the thigh. That would be my only major negative. I've never had a goal sneak in because of the flimsy thigh rise (as thankfully the pro bump knee blocks cover that). The other negative was I personally wasn't a huge fan of the stock strapping. In order to get the strapping right, I had to use the lower calf tight, the big calf semi loose, and a super tight elastic professor strap on the upper calf. Also not the lightest pads on the market, but I never noticed the weight. 

While I appreciate how great the "pancake" closure of the glove is, pucks are hard to catch directly in the palm. Since there is no room for a puck to land, if the puck does not directly bounce into the pocket, it pops out. Whereas on the more classic "U" shaped closure such as Optik, a puck is much more easily trapped directly in the palm. I would recommend getting the biggest pocket possible (Double T). 

Blocker is just average. Has a decent pop. Lexan will definitely give it better pop, but it adds a lot of weight and may throw off the balance. Sidewall is still too soft and would definitely recommend getting an added HD foam in the sidewall.

Added bonus is this has to be one of the best stock graphics of recent memory. 

i personally like softer pads so i dont think them i would mind them softing up too much. 

do you mean pucks are hard because the glove itself is small or because of the closure. since as of now i have my mind set on a tgn spec, that would mean id be going with and extra inch on the pocket along with a single T and skate lace.

and yeah, the graphics are insane, ive spent the last week on the customizer 24/7 and still havent decided what i like most to order! 

7 hours ago, Dero said:

im mostly worried about their seal to the ice because ive seen some reviews where they name that as their biggest negative. 

This is something you really don't need to worry about in ANY modern pad. Seals on a modern pad are always great and never a detriment. 

It's not like 10 years ago where there were larger differences 

1 hour ago, Dero said:

im mostly worried about their seal to the ice because ive seen some reviews where they name that as their biggest negative. also since i would be getting tgn spec gloves, i saw how you moded the blocker quite a bit and i like a blocker that fires pucks out so whether it shoots out pucks or not would be good to know.

other than the sliding, i guess the really only last debate i would have is whether to go with the boa strapping or not.

59 minutes ago, Dero said:

i personally like softer pads so i dont think them i would mind them softing up too much. 

do you mean pucks are hard because the glove itself is small or because of the closure. since as of now i have my mind set on a tgn spec, that would mean id be going with and extra inch on the pocket along with a single T and skate lace.

and yeah, the graphics are insane, ive spent the last week on the customizer 24/7 and still havent decided what i like most to order! 

Seal is really good. Pad lifts a tiny bit in the thigh usually,  but not nearly enough for a puck to fit through. Seal from the knee down is rock solid. If you want a fully perfect seal from boot to thigh, get a 90 degree boot. The thigh lifts because of torsion from the tapered boot. TGN spec also may fix this because of the added HD foams.

Glove is huge. The smaller cuff gives you a lot of catching area. Its how it closes in my eyes. Imagine it like this: Standard gloves close like a "U", where the fingers and cuff leave a gap in the palm. The Gnetik is like a "V" where when it closes, it's like a pancake, flat in the palm. Gives the glove amazing closure, but it's hard to catch pucks in the palm. I would honestly recommend getting a double T, but the +1" on the Anchor T should be just fine, just more expensive. For reference, I use a standard depth Anchor T. 

Specs on the glove I would recommend are Anchor T with +1 depth on the pocket, pro palm with extra break in. This is what I went with and it's the best glove I've ever worn. Closes like a game ready glove but the pro palm will help with wear and tear if you play a-lot. 

Pads I went with no outside break, stiff knee blocks, pre curved tops. I strongly recommend trying the pads on before you order to get correct sizing. I went from a 36 in Bauer to 34 in Brians. I would have ordered the wrong size if I assumed I was the same size from one manufacturer to another.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:38 PM, Doc1200 said:

Specs on the glove I would recommend are Anchor T with +1 depth on the pocket, pro palm with extra break in. This is what I went with and it's the best glove I've ever worn. Closes like a game ready glove but the pro palm will help with wear and tear if you play a-lot. 

Pads I went with no outside break, stiff knee blocks, pre curved tops. I strongly recommend trying the pads on before you order to get correct sizing. I went from a 36 in Bauer to 34 in Brians. I would have ordered the wrong size if I assumed I was the same size from one manufacturer to another.

thanks

On 11/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Aquilzz said:

Seal is really good. Pad lifts a tiny bit in the thigh usually,  but not nearly enough for a puck to fit through. Seal from the knee down is rock solid. If you want a fully perfect seal from boot to thigh, get a 90 degree boot. The thigh lifts because of torsion from the tapered boot. TGN spec also may fix this because of the added HD foams.

Glove is huge. The smaller cuff gives you a lot of catching area. Its how it closes in my eyes. Imagine it like this: Standard gloves close like a "U", where the fingers and cuff leave a gap in the palm. The Gnetik is like a "V" where when it closes, it's like a pancake, flat in the palm. Gives the glove amazing closure, but it's hard to catch pucks in the palm. I would honestly recommend getting a double T, but the +1" on the Anchor T should be just fine, just more expensive. For reference, I use a standard depth Anchor T. 

right now i have a double T and tbh i don't even notice that much of a difference between that and the single T i had on my reactor set before the brians. I was only thinking about single T partly because of aesthetics, but if i have more of an advantage with the double T ill go with that.

1 hour ago, Dero said:

right now i have a double T and tbh i don't even notice that much of a difference between that and the single T i had on my reactor set before the brians. I was only thinking about single T partly because of aesthetics, but if i have more of an advantage with the double T ill go with that.

Double T does provide a wider pocket, but single/Anchor T provides a more responsive catch. Also technically easier to see in a Double T's pocket, but I can see just fine in a thin single T.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Aquilzz said:

yea the tgn spec i believe is the signle (anchor T) plus one inch. youre saying this is a good alternative to the double T?

im just worried about pop outs thats all. in a perfect world i owuld order and anchor T +1 with skate lace which is tgn spec but if theres gonna be pop outs then id just go with the standard double T

34 minutes ago, Dero said:

yea the tgn spec i believe is the signle (anchor T) plus one inch. youre saying this is a good alternative to the double T?

im just worried about pop outs thats all. in a perfect world i owuld order and anchor T +1 with skate lace which is tgn spec but if theres gonna be pop outs then id just go with the standard double T

Both pockets are insanely deep (even without the +1) that I wouldn't worry about pop outs with either.

I guess if we're being technical here, the Anchor T provides more lace, which provides more friction to stop the puck, but I think that's just sort of grasping at straws at that point. 

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

At some point, knowing how to catch will help with pop outs more than the T you utilize on your glove.  If you're using a glove that is drastically different than you're used to sometimes all it takes is getting used to the new glove and you'll start gobbling up those pucks again.

That's taking into account one can gobble up pucks in the first place.

One of these days my nickname of turkey will be a positive.

29 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

At some point, knowing how to catch will help with pop outs more than the T you utilize on your glove.  If you're using a glove that is drastically different than you're used to sometimes all it takes is getting used to the new glove and you'll start gobbling up those pucks again.

Old man SBR with the tired old “technique” and “work towards results” stuff again. 

...which, as an even older old man, I TOTALLY agree with.

Archived