Cowlings: Graf vs Bauer vs CCM

RichMan

I haven’t used a ccm cowling but trying one on it’s the lowest pitch of the three. Graf is the most pitched forward from my experience. The bauer vertexx 2.0 cowling has better attack angle than the stock graf cowling but with a price cut on the graf they’re about the same. I don’t have the numbers but I’m pretty sure the graf cowling is heavier than the bauer.

3 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I haven’t used a ccm cowling but trying one on it’s the lowest pitch of the three. Graf is the most pitched forward from my experience. The bauer vertexx 2.0 cowling has better attack angle than the stock graf cowling but with a price cut on the graf they’re about the same. I don’t have the numbers but I’m pretty sure the graf cowling is heavier than the bauer.

I mean, there are several iterations of each cowling within the last 7 years. In that time frame CCM has gone from the bulky, Graf like cowling of the 20k's, the less bulky version on the 40k's, to the very limited (essentially just a toe cap) cowling on the Tacks/AS1's.

I know the Vertexx cowling didn't really change too much during that time aside from adding and reinforcing the cutout.

No idea about Graf.

So depending on what Rich is looking for, there may be a few answers to give back.

If you take newest models in context, the Graf has more heel wrap, the Bauer has a more flat and tighter toe cap, CCM has gone full minimalist.

Obviously Graf offers more protection but is somewhat bulkier. Bauer (which I've used in the past with my One80s) has a more tapered toe cap but still good forward protection, where as CCM has barely anything to go on.

It seems like the Graf blades are shorter, CCM coming in second, followed by Bauer.

Graf has a 4mm blade. Bauer has the option of 4mm and 3mm. CCM has ... I don't know. My current skates are the X700, so 3mm blades.

Thanks @ThatCarGuy for the pitch information.

To answer @coopaloop1234, I'm going to combine a brand X boot to a brand Y cowling à la Price, Trav4Oilers etc. I want to make sure I choose well.

CCM Attack Cowling (the new minimalistic ones found on AS1). Very light, great attack angle. Has 4mm steel. I like it better than my cowlingless skates due to the more neutral pitch it has. I have it mounted to Reebok 16K skates. CCM Attack Cowling (the new minimalistic ones found on AS1). Very light, great attack angle. Has 4mm steel. I like it better than my cowlingless skates due to the more neutral pitch it has. I have it mounted to Reebok 16K skates. 

47 minutes ago, Kayen said:

CCM Attack Cowling (the new minimalistic ones found on AS1). Very light, great attack angle. Has 4mm steel. I like it better than my cowlingless skates due to the more neutral pitch it has. I have it mounted to Reebok 16K skates. CCM Attack Cowling (the new minimalistic ones found on AS1). Very light, great attack angle. Has 4mm steel. I like it better than my cowlingless skates due to the more neutral pitch it has. I have it mounted to Reebok 16K skates. 

You ok there Kayen?

Step would not make an Extreme blade for Graf as they think the blade is tall enough. Of course I am hearing that there are fewer and fewer Extreme blades from Step.

Vaughn cowling is a dead ringer for the old Tuuk cowling on the old Bauer Supreme goalie skates, albeit with a replaceable blade. They are the lowest cowl out there.

14 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Step would not make an Extreme blade for Graf as they think the blade is tall enough. Of course I am hearing that there are fewer and fewer Extreme blades from Step.

Vaughn cowling is a dead ringer for the old Tuuk cowling on the old Bauer Supreme goalie skates, albeit with a replaceable blade. They are the lowest cowl out there.

I have Step steel on my Graf.. They are taller than Graf original blades

1 hour ago, jeantodt said:

I have Step steel on my Graf.. They are taller than Graf original blades

And by a fair bit from what I understand.

When I was looking into the Graf, that’s when I found out about Step saying “no need for Step Extreme for Graf as the blades are tall enough”. 

21 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

And by a fair bit from what I understand.

When I was looking into the Graf, that’s when I found out about Step saying “no need for Step Extreme for Graf as the blades are tall enough”. 

I have that Step st? Or what it has been called.. But they are taller than original Graf blades. About 20mm if I remember correct

4 hours ago, jeantodt said:

I have that Step st? Or what it has been called.. But they are taller than original Graf blades. About 20mm if I remember correct

Yep- Step is always taller except for the  goalie blade that fits the hybrid goal/player holder.

When enquiring about Extreme for Graf, they told me their aftermarket  blade was tall enough and they will not offer an Extreme for Graf. The stock runner for Graf is deceptively tall. 

For the record, I am not interested in the least at Step Steel blades or any tall blades for that matter. It took me a year to get used to my Vapors, even with their G1 blade.

So it seems like the Bauer Vertex is the way to go? Graf has their regular blade and the Step2 (taller) or something of the likes as I recently noticed.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

For the record, I am not interested in the least at Step Steel blades or any tall blades for that matter. It took me a year to get used to my Vapors, even with their G1 blade.

So it seems like the Bauer Vertex is the way to go? Graf has their regular blade and the Step2 (taller) or something of the likes as I recently noticed.

For someone who is using Step Steel blades for the first time on a skate (since about August), it does have an adjustment period for sure. At first I didn't think it would make a difference on my body, but I defitely felt it for the first month or two in the hip area. Now I'm good, but I can see why some goalies want to stay in a lower skate or at least use normal height blades. I can only imagine what a Step Steel Extreme blade would feel like. 

Update: to fill you in on my project, I got my hands on some new Vaughn GX2 skates for dirt cheap. My goal was to get into a softer better quality boot and change out the cowlings for a proportionate size since Vaughn failed on that one. The boot makes me think of a Graf in looks. Never skated in Grafs so I'm not sure about comfort once baked and broken in.

As for the brand choice of cowlings, I'm thinking of going with Bauer, only cause the cowlings come in pairs WITH the blades for a lesser cost than Grafs which I'd have to by the cowlings and then the blades for more money. I'm very familiar with the Vertexx cowlings. Of course, should they not be a good fit, I'd be forced to opt for the Grafs.

I hope this turns out well cause I'm tired of having sore tired feet. How I f***ng miss my Bauer Supremes of old.

More to follow in a near future.

BTW...best place to get the swap done in Québec/Ontario?

22 hours ago, RichMan said:

Update: to fill you in on my project, I got my hands on some new Vaughn GX2 skates for dirt cheap. My goal was to get into a softer better quality boot and change out the cowlings for a proportionate size since Vaughn failed on that one. The boot makes me think of a Graf in looks. Never skated in Grafs so I'm not sure about comfort once baked and broken in.

As for the brand choice of cowlings, I'm thinking of going with Bauer, only cause the cowlings come in pairs WITH the blades for a lesser cost than Grafs which I'd have to by the cowlings and then the blades for more money. I'm very familiar with the Vertexx cowlings. Of course, should they not be a good fit, I'd be forced to opt for the Grafs.

I hope this turns out well cause I'm tired of having sore tired feet. How I f***ng miss my Bauer Supremes of old.

More to follow in a near future.

BTW...best place to get the swap done in Québec/Ontario?

I don't know where exactly you are at, but I can tell you despite the name, Hockey Experts in Sherbrooke, QC is NOT the place I would take a custom project.

Archived