DIY: Paddle Shaving + Stick Height

BadAngle41

I didn't want to title this Paddle Modification as most would likely start thinking trigger, square rounded etc. Rather, I have some Passau sticks (foam core heavy 21 shaft) I ordered at 28" paddle and have found that I actually really liked the previous batch at 27.5" instead. (Might even try one at 27".) So I'm looking to keep the shape and just shave down the existing paddle. I'm assuming I can just cut and go over with a fine grade sand paper then throw a little clear coat on it to seal, but anyone else have any thoughts? 

I am a veteran paddle shaver. I have done trigger, Hasek, and any hybrid in between. I have recorded my shapes on cardboard templates.  I tend to taper my shoulders much more dramatically than what is standard if I feel like a more traditional shape.  I also cut down too tall sticks that are on sale. Sure- I may lose the logo; I am not above making my own logo for the hell of it. I may do a take-off on the Twigz logo as a joke!!!

Foam is super easy to shave, as I use a mouse palm sander to shape my foam paddles. On wood, I use either a coping saw or my dremel, then smooth it out with my mouse palm sander.  

16 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am a veteran paddle shaver. I have done trigger, Hasek, and any hybrid in between. I have recorded my shapes on cardboard templates.  I tend to taper my shoulders much more dramatically than what is standard if I feel like a more traditional shape.  I also cut down too tall sticks that are on sale. Sure- I may lose the logo; I am not above making my own logo for the hell of it. I may do a take-off on the Twigz logo as a joke!!!

Foam is super easy to shave, as I use a mouse palm sander to shape my foam paddles. On wood, I use either a coping saw or my dremel, then smooth it out with my mouse palm sander.  

Good deal... do you tape up the fresh foam/fiberglass or shoot it with some spray clear or anything?

I just ran out to the garage... marked the sticks against the Passau I do like... grabbed the sander... shaved the 28" Passaus down to the same height... and threw a light coat of spar varnish on to seal up the new fiberglass ends. Worked like a charm. Might shave the Sherwood to 27" and put a trigger on the Warrior. Never been one too into the various grips, just been realizing my paddle height was giving me more a hole under my armpit than I would have liked. I mean it must be the stick right?!?!

Thanks for all the replies @bunnyman666 and I do like the 'ole Warrior Woodrow. 

15 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I just ran out to the garage... marked the sticks against the Passau I do like... grabbed the sander... shaved the 28" Passaus down to the same height... and threw a light coat of spar varnish on to seal up the new fiberglass ends. Worked like a charm. Might shave the Sherwood to 27" and put a trigger on the Warrior. Never been one too into the various grips, just been realizing my paddle height was giving me more a hole under my armpit than I would have liked. I mean it must be the stick right?!?!

Thanks for all the replies @bunnyman666 and I do like the 'ole Warrior Woodrow. 

Many goalies, much like players, use too tall of sticks. Too tall of a paddle opens that hole between the elbow and ribs. I have never been scored on stick side between the elbow and ribs stick side. 

I never thought the various grips had their place until I tried them, myself. Some work well, some work okay, and some necessitated going back to the drawing board.  

Spar varnish is great to throw on. You can also throw on two part household epoxy, as well.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:21 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Haven’t tried this one:

I use that one, I cut it into a pro return reactor 6000(1s graphics), it ends up taking about an inch off the total height so I get sticks 1 inch taller now....I really like this grip, I feel like my blocker is more in a reactive position with it.

28 minutes ago, Scott said:

I use that one, I cut it into a pro return reactor 6000(1s graphics), it ends up taking about an inch off the total height so I get sticks 1 inch taller now....I really like this grip, I feel like my blocker is more in a reactive position with it.

I may try this one next! Yes- it requires a taller stick. I used one 2” taller to make this one.

22 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I may try this one next! Yes- it requires a taller stick. I used one 2” taller to mak this one.

Yeah, on the stock Bauer shoulder you only need to cut down 1inch to make it square, I’ll post a pic or two later

Just now, Scott said:

Yeah, on the stock Bauer shoulder you only need to cut down 1inch to make it square, I’ll post a pic or two later

I used 2” taller as these were on sale like they were going out of style!!!! I am fun-sized, therefore would use something between the tallest intermediate and shortest adult paddle. 

Shout out to @bunnyman666 for his guidance on sanding down my existing stable of twigs to match the one I currently like best. The spar varnish is great. Thick enough to keep those pesky potential fiberglass fibers out of my hand yet still look like the day they were made. Here are some post work action shots from the garage... on some you can tell where it was sanded down, but I'm happy with the work. 

The all black Passau was the template. More Passaus behind it were 1/2" taller, while the Sherwood and Warrior were about 1" taller. Also cut down the shafts to matching lengths and retaped. Worth noting, like the good GGN that I am, I still ordered another batch of Passaus. Just in case. 

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

On 10/10/2017 at 4:29 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Shout out to @bunnyman666 for his guidance on sanding down my existing stable of twigs to match the one I currently like best. The spar varnish is great. Thick enough to keep those pesky potential fiberglass fibers out of my hand yet still look like the day they were made. Here are some post work action shots from the garage... on some you can tell where it was sanded down, but I'm happy with the work. 

The all black Passau was the template. More Passaus behind it were 1/2" taller, while the Sherwood and Warrior were about 1" taller. Also cut down the shafts to matching lengths and retaped. Worth noting, like the good GGN that I am, I still ordered another batch of Passaus. Just in case. 

You did a cracking job on those!!!!

Good onya!!!!!

Looks amazing??

Yep - I'm 5'9 and generally use 26" Warriors and usually cut a few inches off the handle so the stick is easier to handle / play the puck with / doesn't get stuck in the net etc.

Also shave the paddle down so the top side is squared off and the under side has a notch for my index finger as in the pic!

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 01.51.19.png

Wow those came out so perfect they look like a factory finish!  Amazing job on those! 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wow those came out so perfect they look like a factory finish!  Amazing job on those! 

Thanks man... I was pretty happy with how they all turned out. It became very apparent how light the Passau sticks really are once the Sherwood and Warrior were shaved down to the same paddle and shaft heights. The spar varnish really was nice to have sitting around too (refinished my Big Green Egg table this summer.) Sealed everything up really well with just a couple light coats.

9 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Thanks man... I was pretty happy with how they all turned out. It became very apparent how light the Passau sticks really are once the Sherwood and Warrior were shaved down to the same paddle and shaft heights. The spar varnish really was nice to have sitting around too (refinished my Big Green Egg table this summer.) Sealed everything up really well with just a couple light coats.

Wait, you think your Passau sticks are lighter than your Warriors?  What model are those Warriors?  I think my Passau foam cores are significantly heavier than my Warrior Swagger Pro foam core sticks.

Archived