Warrior R/V1 Pro+ Sticks

Puckstopper

On 11/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, Puckstopper said:

I'll be honest, I used only Bauer sticks for many years as they were the only company that made a composite I liked.  Warrior's offerings before the CR/1 were composite shaft only or very heavy, and CCMs were not only heavy but not very durable based on anecdotal evidence from guys I play with.  The CR/1 and VR1 Pro+ have changed all of that.  The CR/1 was a little heavier than my Bauer's, but I bought it at a time where I wasn't willing to drop more than $200 on a stick no matter what and it turned out to be absolutely bombproof!  The Pro+'s are holding up just as well and have the added bonus of being in the weight range I like.   I started this thread in mid-April and have 2 completely untouched Pro+'s sitting in the rafters of my basement right now waiting on the first one to fall off in performance.   Admittedly, I took a couple months off after dislocating my shoulder, but that's still 4 months of 2-3 ice times per week and other than the paint being scraped up a little there's no damage to the stick and no loss of pop when shooting.

Unfortunately I can't really chime in on rebounds off the paddle as it's just not something I've noticed a difference on from Bauer to Warrior.  I guess if the puck is hitting the paddle I'm probably in full blown scramble mode anyway and am just happy to have made contact with the puck instead of trying to direct it.  I get what you're saying, but it hasn't been a factor for me.

Similar to me.  Lifelong Bauer stick user and my most recent Bauer was the Total One high end stick. 

Went from that to a CR1 and now a V1 Pro+ and can't say I notice any difference.  I feel like pucks off the paddle on the Warriors are louder than Bauer, but that doesn't mean much.

My shooting and stickhandling has for sure improved moving from Bauer to Warrior.  I just have a ton of confidence in these sticks and now in my abilities to play the puck, which I do quite a lot. 

I can actually loft pucks on my backhand now which I could never do with my Bauer sticks.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, Puckstopper said:

IMG_20191028_120733.jpg

IMG_20191028_120743.jpg

IMG_20191028_120750.jpg

@Puckstopper Not looking to cause a fuss but this is the worst way to gauge/measure paddle height.  As others mentioned the lie is not taken into account.  But more importantly, the blade patterns are different, toe shapes are different & lastly the blade lengths could be different.  All factors would give an incorrect visual impression of paddle length when sticks are leaned up against a wall stick rack style.  The best way is to lay the sticks flat on the floor and line up the heel/blade as best as possible.  From there you'll not only see the difference in paddle length, but also get a better perspective on the lie and shoulder slopes.  

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Similar to me.  Lifelong Bauer stick user and my most recent Bauer was the Total One high end stick. 

Went from that to a CR1 and now a V1 Pro+ and can't say I notice any difference.  I feel like pucks off the paddle on the Warriors are louder than Bauer, but that doesn't mean much.

My shooting and stickhandling has for sure improved moving from Bauer to Warrior.  I just have a ton of confidence in these sticks and now in my abilities to play the puck, which I do quite a lot. 

I can actually loft pucks on my backhand now which I could never do with my Bauer sticks.

Well fuck you man.  I can barely shuffle the puck 10 feet on my back hand :facepalm: lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Well fuck you man.  I can barely shuffle the puck 10 feet on my back hand :facepalm: lol

Haha, it's not easy, that's for sure :)

I"m fortunate to have a weekly 90 minute pick-up game with friends where I can be fearless and try things and f' up all the time. 

I find shooting and passing and playing the puck is one of those things that is impossible to learn and understand.  You just have to do it.  It's very muscle memory heavy .

I had a good one in my real game last night:

up 3-1 and killing a penalty late in the 3rd, pressure in the zone.  Puck is rimmed on my glove side.  I come out with the puck on my forehand on the boards behind the net.  I get everyone to bite on my forehand except my best D who stays in the corner on my right, my backhand side.  I float a pass to him by chipping the puck off the boards on my backhand.  He gets it and clears it out.  We won 3-1.

I was proud of that play.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha, it's not easy, that's for sure :)

I"m fortunate to have a weekly 90 minute pick-up game with friends where I can be fearless and try things and f' up all the time. 

I find shooting and passing and playing the puck is one of those things that is impossible to learn and understand.  You just have to do it.  It's very muscle memory heavy .

I had a good one in my real game last night:

up 3-1 and killing a penalty late in the 3rd, pressure in the zone.  Puck is rimmed on my glove side.  I come out with the puck on my forehand on the boards behind the net.  I get everyone to bite on my forehand except my best D who stays in the corner on my right, my backhand side.  I float a pass to him by chipping the puck off the boards on my backhand.  He gets it and clears it out.  We won 3-1.

I was proud of that play.

I wish I could do stuff like that.  I am so god awful at playing the puck.  I honestly don't know what it is.  One time I can put the puck over the glass the next time I flub it and it dribbles 5 feet away from me.  I feel like I am doing the exact same thing but not getting the same result.  Put me on the living room floor playing floor hockey with my 2 year old son though and I look like Mike Smith or Carey Price hahaha

1 hour ago, Kirk3190 said:

@Puckstopper Not looking to cause a fuss but this is the worst way to gauge/measure paddle height.  As others mentioned the lie is not taken into account.  But more importantly, the blade patterns are different, toe shapes are different & lastly the blade lengths could be different.  All factors would give an incorrect visual impression of paddle length when sticks are leaned up against a wall stick rack style.  The best way is to lay the sticks flat on the floor and line up the heel/blade as best as possible.  From there you'll not only see the difference in paddle length, but also get a better perspective on the lie and shoulder slopes.  

All very good points. Admittedly I just ran into the store I work at on my lunch break from my real job to grab that shot quickly.  I was a little surprised to see that a couple sticks the Warrior be taller than the CCM given that mine are almost exactly the same, but the difference in curve/blade length explains that.  I'll do better next time!

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

This!  It's also very dependent on your level of confidence.  Not saying that I don't make mistakes when I'm "feeling it" but I make a lot more when I second guess myself.

21 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

This!  It's also very dependent on your level of confidence.  Not saying that I don't make mistakes when I'm "feeling it" but I make a lot more when I second guess myself.

That's another thing I don't understand.  I've had moments where I had all day and got a decent pass out with a nice touch of loft, as well as times where I screwed it up.  I've also had moments where I had no time at all and had both outcomes.  It is so literally random for me.

6 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Yes.  Tough skin when screwing up, for sure.  It's going to happen.  You just can't let screwing up be a reason not to do it.  If you're doing more good than harm, keep going.

Confidence is key but also having D who trust you and are REACTIVE rather than DIRECTIVE is so important.

I have a couple of D who clearly aren't use to having goalies play the puck and they get anxious and fussy when I come out.  "Leave it!" "No!" "Stay in the net!" "Here!" "Stop!" "OH MY GAAAAWWWDDDD!"  All the words. They in turn would make me nervous and anxious and cause me to make more mistakes. I had to have talks with them and we are all in a good space now.  I had to tell them to chill the F out and react to me. Wait. Be patient.  Allow me to do my thing.  Me making a mistake and causing a turnover out of the net is WAY WORSE than you doing the same. 

Jerks :)

24 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

All very good points. Admittedly I just ran into the store I work at on my lunch break from my real job to grab that shot quickly.  I was a little surprised to see that a couple sticks the Warrior be taller than the CCM given that mine are almost exactly the same, but the difference in curve/blade length explains that.  I'll do better next time!

No worries!  I get pictures like the one you took sent to me a lot.  I just like to set the record straight when I see it done that way.  Every store lines their sticks up on a rack this way so I understand why it's the most natural assumption.  

@Kirk3190

Does the color of the spines on the shaft mean something?

I have 2 26 Bishops in the same color,  both V1 Pro+ and the colors of the spines are different.

Unfortunately,  I don't have a side by side pic, but i bought this one in Surrey,  BC and they're purple. 

My other i bought online with Goalie Monkey and they're black or grey.20190511_164952.thumb.jpg.0b41f9b65fece949c99659b6bccf06bd.jpg

20190511_164945.jpg

Edited by seagoal

22 hours ago, seagoal said:

@Kirk3190

Does the color of the spines on the shaft mean something?

I have 2 26 Bishops in the same color,  both V1 Pro+ and the colors of the spines are different.

Unfortunately,  I don't have a side by side pic, but i bought this one in Surrey,  BC and they're purple. 

My other i bought online with Goalie Monkey and they're black or grey.20190511_164952.thumb.jpg.0b41f9b65fece949c99659b6bccf06bd.jpg

20190511_164945.jpg

I'm not completely following what you're asking.  Can you show a side by side of the Surrey stick and Monkey stick?  It's possible your Monkey stick was what we would refer to as SMU (Special Make Up) aka a special colorway only offered at Monkey.  The stick from Surrey is a stock stick with stock graphic/colors.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:46 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

If weight is a factor for you then do what I do with my sticks.  Use a heavier foam core for warm ups and keep the composites for the game.  I know last night in text you said you don't like to change like that before a game but think of it as a batter using a donut on their bats in the on deck circle.  If you can get one or two Warrior Swagger foam cores(which are on a really good sale price right now on GM) with the same curve that you get in your composite stick it will be basically the same exact stick but heavier.  There isn't much of a transition.  It will make your composite game stick feel that much lighter.

I do this for practices but warm ups not so much (don’t get much time and I stretch more than take shots). 

15 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

I'm not completely following what you're asking.  Can you show a side by side of the Surrey stick and Monkey stick?  It's possible your Monkey stick was what we would refer to as SMU (Special Make Up) aka a special colorway only offered at Monkey.  The stick from Surrey is a stock stick with stock graphic/colors.

Sure thing.  I'll grab a pic when I go home for lunch today.

7 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I stretch in the room before warmups.  

I do as well (and have coffee) but none of the folks I play with can do the warm up the way I want (few glovers, few blockers, few legs, then a few low) so I take some but stretch and do slide warm ups. 

Edited by benner33

7 minutes ago, benner33 said:

I do as well (and have coffee) but none of the folks I play with can do the warm up the way I want (few glovers, few blockers, few legs, then a few low) so I take some but stretch and do slide warm ups. 

Lol my team never does what I want them to.  I constantly get these idiots trying to snipe corners, shooting 5 hole, shooting on the ice at my feet, missing the net, etc.  All I want is for them to put it within hands reach so I can get my hand eye going.  I never go down in warmups.  If someone decides to wanna take a breakaway I ignore them and move on to the next shooter.  To the original point, regardless if I get onto the ice for the full 5 mins of warmup time or if I get out there with 1 minute of time, I always use an older foam core.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

Here they are.

Purple came from Surrey and black from Monkey.

20191105_122241.jpg

20191105_122131.jpg

On 11/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, Kirk3190 said:

No worries!  I get pictures like the one you took sent to me a lot.  I just like to set the record straight when I see it done that way.  Every store lines their sticks up on a rack this way so I understand why it's the most natural assumption.  

So how does a Warrior CR1/V1.. compare to the CCM's in size then? Say a 26" Warrior is comparable to what CCM size? I've seen it's a difference of about a 1" (So a 25" is comparable, is that true?)

Edit: Nevermind / Found someone noted earlier in this thread that a CCM is about 1-1.5" smaller than the Warrior so my above comparison 25" CCM is closely = to 26" Warrior

Edited by litt

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to share my experience so far with some V1 Pro + I picked up off of Pro Stock Hockey.

First off... I'm coming from using Bauer composites. I had tried a traditional paddle shape on a composite with a Sherwood BPM150... and didn't like it at all. From that point on I swore I was an Ergo paddle guy. But as the Bauer stock dwindled (still have 1 Pro Stock NXG but have finally depleted all the 2S Pro)... I really was having a hard time justifying $300 per twig... so I started to look around. 

This topic in particular finally peaked my interest in Warrior sticks again... but still didn't want to spend $300 each. Searched the interweb for a deal... SideLineSwap... eBay... HockeyStickman... etc. Then I stumbled on some for a curiously low price on Pro Stock Hockey. About 1/2 the price of a retail stick and 3 rolls of tape... might as well give it a try. So I picked a couple up thinking I'd immediately order 2 more if I liked them. I went with an Anton Forsberg 27" Actual paddle height with a mid curve.

Upon receipt they felt good in my hand... light... less grippy  of a paddle than Bauer... lie angle is steeper than P31 Bauer... and the balance point felt lower than on a Bauer... but no real issues so off to the scale they went. First one was a little heavy for what I saw on this topic but nothing crazy at 679g. I mean it's Pro Stock so it's not the exact same as retail. But the Second one came in at 730g... V1 Pro/CR1 territory. Let me stress that this is by no means heavy... but when expecting somewhere around 650g - 660g... that's heavy. I immediately started looking at the composition of the stick thinking maybe it was just a V1 Pro/CR1 dressed as a V1 Pro+. The carbon weave is small... no Minimus Carbon G 1200 markings etc... just the paint job and a name.

I shot a note to Pro Stock Hockey looking for some clarity... but it was late on a Friday afternoon and didn't expect a reply over the weekend. So I decided to tape one up and use it in a Sunday game. Worst case I'd send one back to PSH and sell the used one to someone locally. Turns out I actually didn't really notice much of a change at all from the Bauer to this... so construction aside I'd order a couple more so I can have a good consistent twig for a little while. Before doing so though I did call PSH and talked to them about the make-up. Essentially while the carbon weave differed significantly from a retail V1 Pro+... the paint is really all they had to go on (unlike Bauers etc where you can discern by coding.) I did ask however that they weigh everything they had in stock and just send me the 2 lightest on my next order. They arrived 2 days later... and weights are 666g and 677g. Can't complain one bit. I'll use the remaining NXG and the "heavy" V1 Pro+ in my pick up skates and keep the 680, 677, and 666 sticks for games.

It's still a bit of a head scratcher on what these are exactly... they seem lighter the a retail V1 Pro/CR1... but slightly heavier than a retail V1 Pro+. Are they stripped down V1 Pro/CR1 or beefed up V1Pro+? Whatever the case... the bottom line... they're plenty light and a great price... even came with 3 rolls of tape each (although it's not as good as Howies... it works.) TBD on the durability front but I have no reason to think they'll snap quickly. If anything I wondering how long I'll be using these things.

image.thumb.png.a8c5300f994520fc38b13fa7789bc050.png

image.thumb.png.dd18f9c17c638fd0fb2fb95eabc1e896.png

image.thumb.png.354f4fa6a8c37db8fe8d732914c9a519.png

image.thumb.png.71a33c00a2a346ec0fddd9260782181c.png

image.png.85d962115345923a52c246367233eedd.png

https://www.prostockhockey.com/hockey-sticks/goalie-sticks/left-anton-forsberg-white-v1-pro-stick/

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Lol my team never does what I want them to.  I constantly get these idiots trying to snipe corners, shooting 5 hole, shooting on the ice at my feet, missing the net, etc.  All I want is for them to put it within hands reach so I can get my hand eye going.  I never go down in warmups.  If someone decides to wanna take a breakaway I ignore them and move on to the next shooter.  To the original point, regardless if I get onto the ice for the full 5 mins of warmup time or if I get out there with 1 minute of time, I always use an older foam core.

Yup same here. I’ve started to do some warm ups in the butterfly and sliding to the shooters to get what I want (glove level makes it easier and helps me stretch) but usually they’re useless so I take a few and if it’s useless I go do slides, pass the puck to myself, and stretch. 

• 1 month later...