Warrior R/V1 Pro+ Sticks

Puckstopper

I'm lucky enough to play for two teams with similar color schemes.

Thursday:
IMG_20190416_210430.thumb.jpg.b9727f1c4b56c384d092359db009fc89.jpg

Sunday:
IMG_20190416_210720.thumb.jpg.3fd6f11632a6c6e82464313faf52e960.jpg

My gear is currently white with some Pad Wrap in black, green and a little orange, but I've got some retro brown GT2s coming with a few team color accents (think Andy Moog's retro Vaughn gear in Dallas).  It'll be a huge improvement in both looks and function.

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I'm obviously a fan of composites, and understand if you take anything I say with a grain of salt.  With that said, a couple wraps of stretchy foam tape takes most of the vibration out of the sticks I use.

IMG_20190416_180355.jpg

For sure man. I use that stuff on mine too. Stock grips are never enough for me. 

I didn’t like the amount of vibration of the CR1 but it was less noticeable on the V1 Pro+ for sure. I’d still have to get used to the pingyness of the paddle but that’s just an adjustment. 

With the CR1 I figured I could probably get used to the vibration and pingyness but at 3x the price it seemed silly to not just use what I liked. I’ll definitely be getting some V1 though, eventually.

Played with my new V1 pro + last night, bishop curve - I have the white stick, black lettering with orange 'grip'. I still wish warrior put a tackier grip on the stick but 1 wrap of grip tape and I'm happy anyway. Also threw a goalie buttendz on there (love that product). The stick is lighter than the cr1, and feels very nicely balanced when the blade is on the ice. I personally think the vibration from paddle shots is about the same as CR1, which is top notch. Watch out for innocent looking shots that come to the blade tho just like with any composite stick I find the puck just ricochet's like crazy, can be sometimes tough to control fi you're just trying to play the puck - but again that's all composites IMO. It basically feels like a lighter, improved CR1, and with the weight reduction and a little snappier flex my shot improved as well. Only have had 1 skate but I am very happy with my purchase. I've had the 1S, CR1, True 6.0 and now the VR - bang for your buck and pure performance puts it top of the list, now lets hope it's durable.

Guys, huge problem. I am jealous of all these amazing V1 Pro sticks and reviews but my damn CR1s just refuse to break. They are too durable and I refuse to buy a V1 until they break as I would never use my CR1 again. 

Never had this problem with my Bauers. They would be broken in a couple months at most. 😂

On 4/23/2019 at 6:07 PM, 1C5 said:

Guys, huge problem. I am jealous of all these amazing V1 Pro sticks and reviews but my damn CR1s just refuse to break. They are too durable and I refuse to buy a V1 until they break as I would never use my CR1 again. 

Never had this problem with my Bauers. They would be broken in a couple months at most. 😂

Same problem here.  I've been using the same CR1 for almost a year now.  I think I got it last June.  Still have another CR1 that has yet to see the ice.

I got to use my V1 Pro + for the first time last night and all I can say is Wow. 

I was pretty thoroughly in love with my CR1s and it was difficult to imagine a better stick, but these are amazing. 

The saving in weight alone is so nice with how responsive and agile they feel and the puckhandling and shooting because of this is really nice, a big improvement over the CR1.

I bought the exact same curve but 1 size smaller than my CR1s and this was the right choice.  I am really loving this stick so far.

I have to say though....they are very LOUD.  The "clack!" sound from shots on the ice or the one puck I got on the paddle out of midair is incredibly loud, way louder than the CR1 which was more "thud" than a "clack."

Not a knock on the stick necessarily, just a characteristic to be aware of.  I have a duplicate on the way because the Hockey Shop in Surrey only had 1 of the one I wanted, so now I have 2 of these with 2 CR1s as my backups. 

Life is good.

20190511_164945.jpg

20190511_164952.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, 1C5 said:

Finally found a good sale on these so I couldn't resist and also have 2 V1 Pro+ on the way to me to use for the upcoming season. Can't wait to try them out. I got the same black color as above in 26, Quick. 

Where and what was the sale?

https://www.prostockhockey.com/goalie-sticks/?&search_query=goalie-sticks&filter=Brand_fq:"Warrior"&filter=Recently_Added_fq:"New"&filter=Price_fq:"109.99"&rows=20&start=0

Does anyone know anything about this composite model for sale on ProStockHockey? I emailed and asked for the weight of the 25” model (their customer service is excellent in my experience, btw) and they came back with 840 grams, which seems extremely heavy for a composite. I know Warrior says a painted surface adds about 20-30 grams, but still seems like a lot. 

3 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Do they have a good grip, similar to Bauer’s?

Yes, the V1s have good grip, but not similar to Bauer’s, in my experience. For me, Bauer is way too sticky. The V1s have just enough tack to hold on but it releases easily for puck handling/poke checking. All personal preference though. As you can see from earlier posts, some have added grip tape on top.

I would say there is room in Warrior's portfolio for a more flexible stick like the EF4 or the 2X.  Whether we see them do that any time in the near future (or even distant future) is something only the team at Warrior knows at the moment.   TBH, I'd like to try a Warrior stick with a more flexy paddle, but the V1+s I'm using are great sticks so I'm not sure this is something Warrior NEEDS.

One thing I would like to see  them do is cut the number of price points down to 3 and/or work on a better naming scheme.  Certain customers get lost when trying to keep track of the benefits of the Pro+ vs the SR+ vs the Pro.  The old system of CR1, CR2 and CR3 was way easier for customers to keep track of.  Warrior certainly isn't alone in this trend but it is making things harder/more confusing at the retail level for people who aren't total gearheads.

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

One thing I would like to see  them do is cut the number of price points down to 3 and/or work on a better naming scheme.  Certain customers get lost when trying to keep track of the benefits of the Pro+ vs the SR+ vs the Pro.  The old system of CR1, CR2 and CR3 was way easier for customers to keep track of.  Warrior certainly isn't alone in this trend but it is making things harder/more confusing at the retail level for people who aren't total gearheads.

The unfortunately took a page from Vaughn and their naming conventions. 

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

I would say there is room in Warrior's portfolio for a more flexible stick like the EF4 or the 2X.  Whether we see them do that any time in the near future (or even distant future) is something only the team at Warrior knows at the moment.   TBH, I'd like to try a Warrior stick with a more flexy paddle, but the V1+s I'm using are great sticks so I'm not sure this is something Warrior NEEDS.

I would like to see just a slightly more flexible line with more of a rubbery style grip similar to bauer.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:09 AM, Puckstopper said:

Thanks for the feedback!  We are always in development of new constructions and performance benefits.  Flex profile being one of those at the current time.  I understand your comment about model names.  The "+" is something we introduced in 2019 with the R/V1 sticks and also R/X2 Jock & Knee.  As time goes on you'll begin to see it in other areas of our product offering.  Once it becomes more common place I believe it will instinctively clear up some of the confusion.  In a very general way, the V1 Pro, V1 SR+ and V1 SR are separated by $50 and are on average 50g less/more in weight than each other.  The V1 Pro+ being an outlier because it's a LOT more than 50g lighter than the V1 Pro.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1