Cechmanek facing up to 10 years in prison

dualshowman

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2020/11/11/21561124/cechmanek-facing-up-to-10-years-in-prison-former-flyers-goalie-what-happened-to-him

For those too young (or too old) to remember, Cechmanek had a brief four year NHL career that was, by every statistical measure, fantastic. He seems to have navigated into dire straights in the last decade. I don't recall there being any indication that he was a shit human being, so this comes as a bit of a surprise. 

5 hours ago, dualshowman said:

I don't recall there being any indication that he was a shit human being, so this comes as a bit of a surprise. 

Little dramatic, no? Read the article and while he's up on charges for fraud, it's not like he was scamming innocent people of their social security checks. Again, just off what I read in the article, it appears to be a land deal that was a mess. Guessing he was in a deal but didn't have the money. I'm sure there are loads of details missing for this, but it's not anything that is too crazy regarding a former pro athlete and investment issues.

Said he's facing charges with sentences up to 10 years. How many times do we hear the 'up to' line used when trying to make someone look bad when in trouble?

Not saying he's not a piece of crap - He did have the best uni-brow in the NHL.

8468651.jpg

Said he now owns a brewery. But note the space between eyebrows now!!

Roman Cechmanek owns a brewery now - Broad Street Hockey

I'm in Philly. Everyone pans this dude. Fact is, his stats were so good here that you could say he was the best goalie the Flyers ever had.

He was a top 10 goalie in the NHL the entire time here. Won the Jennings. Was an all-star. Save percentage was between 921-925 every year. His GAA in his last season here (before the Flyers blamed him for not winning the cup) was a crappy 1.85.

The Flyers traded him for a used puck bag and 11 rolls of friction tape.

Here's what the hockey writers website had regarding:

According to the Czech website blesk.cz, the situation is as follows. Cechmanek made roughly 240 million Czech crowns as a hockey player (more than 10 million dollars at today’s exchange). He then invested in real estate and in his business. He started too many projects at once and, allegedly, none of them generated any profit. Cechmanek’s debts went up to 100 million crowns (about 4 million dollars). His property was seized and later sold in a public auction. Ivo Valenta of Synot Real Estate, Czech businessman and senator, was the buyer. Cechmanek even had to sell his own house. He still lives there, but as a tenant – not the owner. He’s been under fraud investigation because he didn’t pay the companies for work, probably despite knowing he wouldn’t be able to afford the payment.

In the US, he'd just declare bankruptcy and move on. Maybe one day be the President of the USA.

3 hours ago, MTH said:

Little dramatic, no? Read the article and while he's up on charges for fraud, it's not like he was scamming innocent people of their social security checks.

I should have made it clear: Reading the article, and knowing what I know of the man, I do not believe there to be any malfeasance on his part. I come from the land of shit humans making shady real estate deals (Chicago, which happens to be in the U.S.A, fyi), and I spot a patsy. 

No one, and I mean NO ONE that sports that kinda eye hedge has any kind of chip on their shoulder. I wish him all the best.

I remember thinking he was an awkward looking goalie, he always looked like he stood like a Ninja Turtle to me, kinda hunched over with his shoulders forward and his hips back.  He moved very ungracefully, in my view.  He always seemed super strange to me, very good, despite being not very athletic or goalie-like in the textbook sense

Roman Cechmanek | Flyers hockey, Nhl hockey, Ice hockey

Roman Cechmanek | Nhl flyers, Flyers players, Flyers hockey

Flyers: Former Goaltender Facing Jail Time for Fraud

Philadelphia Flyers/NY Islanders Islanders NHL recap on ESPN

Roman Cechmanek Pictures

Sizing Up the Cup / Devils, Avalanche have best talent

Nhl Philadelphia Flyers Save High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

16 hours ago, seagoal said:

I remember thinking he was an awkward looking goalie, he always looked like he stood like a Ninja Turtle to me, kinda hunched over with his shoulders forward and his hips back.  He moved very ungracefully, in my view.  He always seemed super strange to me, very good, despite being not very athletic or goalie-like in the textbook sense

Funny and true.

The time he played was the end of the 'original style goalies'. Post lockout, goalies have become robots with the same training. 

I never dug his gear. The TPS gear always looked odd to me. Great as it was. Although I had a few of those TPS Aramid goal sticks. Those were the bee's knees.

How many of us wanted a Jofa helmet and cage like that? Bare Chimo twig too. I have one of those cages. Never got the Jofa helmet with the 'goalie' upgrade. I put the cage on a SK and wore it loose like Tommy for all of one game. It sucked!

He was a poor man's Hasek.

Lol yeah. I guess it is. But it’s back when I was getting back into playing. So I was just buying shit left and right.   I guess it’s was more about the fact I found one vs. that it was great.  Although I did like it. I mounted it a little different than Tommy did.  

Wait, you bought old gear on eBay simply because you could find it? That's so weird.

(Joking my garage is full of useless old eBay gems)

I bought that Goalie Jofa cage for the same reason.

American Beauty video quotes | This isn't life

What is that in the driveway?

1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!

Archived