M.I.A. Goalies for 2020-2021

RichMan

54 minutes ago, netminder said:

You missed the part where the combined rings in your list is 1. Predictable playing goalies on that list are a giant reason why no NHL team worries about them making a difference once a series is gameplanned, for decades. Arguement could be said that Vasi's isnt as cookie cutter thus made a big difference in his rings, albeit vs the 2 weakest back to back Cup finalist maybe of all time.  lol, but thats not the point here. We also see it at the World Junior levels, as NA starters have taken 8 of the past 11 golds too. If i felt like a doing a deeper dive i would bet AHL and ECHL feature NA starters winning their rings most of the time too.

Good goalies don’t win cups. Good teams win cups. 

1 hour ago, netminder said:

You missed the part where the combined rings in your list is 1. Predictable playing goalies on that list are a giant reason why no NHL team worries about them making a difference once a series is gameplanned, for decades. Arguement could be said that Vasi's isnt as cookie cutter thus made a big difference in his rings, albeit vs the 2 weakest back to back Cup finalist maybe of all time.  lol, but thats not the point here. We also see it at the World Junior levels, as NA starters have taken 8 of the past 11 golds too. If i felt like a doing a deeper dive i would bet AHL and ECHL feature NA starters winning their rings most of the time too.

I agree with @ThatCarGuy the goalie doesn't win the cup unless we're talking about 2012 Quick, who is the most un-american American goalie ever. Of the goalies I listed a bunch of them are future hall members or will be after their careers finish. If you mean to tell me the Avs won last year because of Kuemper? Welll he only played about half the games because he kept getting hurt. You bringing up the World Juniors has to be a joke as again, the NA teams are the most stacked every year, and nobody talks about goaltending when your team is putting up 8+ goals on all the other teams. Either way, the point of my list was to show how a ton of the Euro goalies are anything but cookie cutter. A list of NA goalies would be the opposite. You don't seem to have much to say about what i said before the list. Did I change the great Netminder's mind????

52 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I agree with @ThatCarGuy the goalie doesn't win the cup unless we're talking about 2012 Quick, who is the most un-american American goalie ever. 

Quick was lights out, but let's not pretend that the Kings under Suter weren't a heavy defensive team. 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Good goalies don’t win cups. Good teams win cups. 

Good goalies can drag teams kicking and screaming into the cup finals though. (Price, Giguerre, Hasek, etc.) 

Lundy's take:

”I remember giving up five goals, and I just wanted to hide behind a rock or something. Just disappear. I would definitely not wave to the crowd,” he said.

”But as a goalie, you have different ways to get into your sweet spot when you’re focused, and you’re making good decisions. And to me, if I over-reacted to things, it was just a sign to me that I’m not on top of my game. But Binnington has different ways to get in there, but the question is: Is he doing too much, to try to get to his sweet spot? It’s ben a lot of incidents last couple of years, now.”

This has turned into a radioactive thread.

@coopaloop1234: "I miss this"....lol. But I am still trying to figure out the naked yellow guy in the old man thread. :)

Different strokes for different folks - all of us have our own way to get to the sweet spot mentioned by Hank. Hextall was great but also a thug....at least until Potvin busted open his eye. Binner seems, however, to be melting down some this year. I dont know whether he's honked at the team, himself, or what. But he's off his game as is the team in front of him. Maybe he just doesnt like playing on a defensively weak team; pretty easy to look great when the team is sound. He's pulled a Dan Cloutier frequently this season challenging benches. Kinda surprised no one has brought up Billy Smith. Smith was certifiable but he didnt do his thug routine to get into his sweet spot, He was all ways ready to play.

Edited by Fullright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

He's pulled a Dan Cloutier frequently this season challenging benches.

Cloutier only challenged benches after kicking the piss out of their goaltender, and even so, wasn't a constant hot head during his playing years. 

Compare that with Binnington and his practically immature cheap shots, coupled with never answering the bell, it's a stark difference. 

Dude came flying over with intent. I miss this era of the NHL. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Cloutier only challenged benches after kicking the piss out of their goaltender, and even so, wasn't a constant hot head during his playing years. 

Compare that with Binnington and his practically immature cheap shots, coupled with never answering the bell, it's a stark difference. 

Dude came flying over with intent. I miss this era of the NHL. 

Watching this clip actually doesn't make me miss those days, beating guys lying down on ice to back and neck. Fight is a fight but it ends when either one falls down and you don't beat after that. Octagon is different thing.

Looked like there was a pure intention to injury Salo in that clip whacking down to his neck.

We have some players that beat the fallen opponent in the NHL, rat moves I'd call them and point to some directions...