The "I Need a New Mask" Thread

cwarnar

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

Bauer profile 950x with eco foam. How good is the protection on that helmet?

I would consider it mid-level and suggest you do better than that.  Guessing that's going for around $250ish...if you can go $400.  Talk to Dennis @ OTNY and get a certified X1 Kevlar for $400 USD.  He will even get your measurements and custom pad it to give you the best fit.  Trust me on this, its worth it.  

Just now, jayluv54 said:

I would consider it mid-level and suggest you do better than that.  Guessing that's going for around $250ish...if you can go $400.  Talk to Dennis @ OTNY and get a certified X1 Kevlar for $400 USD.  He will even get your measurements and custom pad it to give you the best fit.  Trust me on this, its worth it.  

I’m a 17 yr high school student playing at a high lvl of play. I’m broke I can’t pay :( all of my pads are used.

8 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I talked to the person selling the helmet. He said he played college level hockey. I think the helmet should hold up at my level.

ive seen senior gear like the 950 used in college. A goalie, not sure his name, for Rhode Island uses s190 pants and Bauer elite skates i noticed at one of their games

It’s not a normal 950x it has eco foam and I heard eco foam is just like Maltese. I feel the protection should be better than medium

35 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

17 hours ago, Goalieinneed said:

Bauer profile 950x with eco foam. How good is the protection on that helmet?

17 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I’m a 17 yr high school student playing at a high lvl of play. I’m broke I can’t pay :( all of my pads are used.

I talked to the person selling the helmet. He said he played college level hockey. I think the helmet should hold up at my level.

16 hours ago, Goalieinneed said:

It’s not a normal 950x it has eco foam and I heard eco foam is just like Maltese. I feel the protection should be better than medium

Ok so let me get this right.  So just because one dumb ass, who probably had no idea wtf he was talking about, told you he used it in "college" hockey you're just going to assume everything is fine and dandy and roll with it anyway?  Don't come crying to us when you get a concussion.  Its not a mask for "high level" competition.  If you can't afford it then tell mom and dad that your brain is not something to cheap out on.  Tell them it is an early Christmas present if that'll get it done.

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ok so let me get this right.  So just because one dumb ass, who probably had no idea wtf he was talking about, told you he used it in "college" hockey you're just going to assume everything is fine and dandy and roll with it anyway?  Don't come crying to us when you get a concussion.  Its not a mask for "high level" competition.  If you can't afford it then tell mom and dad that your brain is not something to cheap out on.  Tell them it is an early Christmas present if that'll get it done.

How does the nme 8 sound. The other two goalies on my team use the nme line. One uses the nme 8 and the other nme 4

54 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't know, I have no experience with any of Bauer's gear.  I would go with what was already suggested to you.  If you can't come up with an extra $150 ask your parents and tell them to get you one or two less Christmas presents.  You'll be far better off.

How long is the turnout for OTNY? I need my mask ASAP. I’m going to get a job so I can shell out more money and just pay my parents back. I was thinking abt picking up the nme 10 or maybe something 400$ on SidelineSwap 

4 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

How long is the turnout for OTNY? I need my mask ASAP. I’m going to get a job so I can shell out more money and just pay my parents back. I was thinking abt picking up the nme 10 or maybe something 400$ on SidelineSwap 

Maybe talk to @Joe Messina about his Masked Marvel masks.  I don't know who the contact would be for Otny.  I'm not sure we even have anyone on the board associated with them.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Maybe talk to @Joe Messina about his Masked Marvel masks.  I don't know who the contact would be for Otny.  I'm not sure we even have anyone on the board associated with them.

I actually just looked on the site the masks are a bit expensive. I’m going to keep looking.

anyway have you seen anything special on SidelineSwap?

3 minutes ago, CharlieB29 said:

@Goalieinneed Masked Marvels is the best of the best. You need a good helmet if you want to keep playing hockey. I suggest you spend more money and get a Masked Marvel, talk to Joe.

What model should I get? The top model seems very expensive. 

I found some a wall v8 for 550$ along with what seems like some good sportmask masks for around the same price.

update: the wall mask fits close to a Bauer fit 2 which is the size I need

3 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I found some a wall v8 for 550$ along with what seems like some good sportmask masks for around the same price.

Hold on, which Wall company? Apparently Wall USA is not affiliated with the original Wall Finland, which is the one you would want.

4 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

Thanks for the info I’ll check

Also how often does your league check for certification? You don't necessarily need a certified mask once you graduate high school, which if you're 17 is only a year or so away. 

I would consider as well these: https://www.thegoaliecrease.com/index.php/products/product/2592-sportmask-f-series

They are a great deal for the price, which is in CAD, so it would be a steal for you (~300 USD). However, if you were to go this route I would definitely ask them if they have a certified-type cage that would fit.

2 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Also how often does your league check for certification? You don't necessarily need a certified mask once you graduate high school, which if you're 17 is only a year or so away. 

I would consider as well these: https://www.thegoaliecrease.com/index.php/products/product/2592-sportmask-f-series

They are a great deal for the price, which is in CAD, so it would be a steal for you. However, if you were to go this route I would definitely ask them if they have a certified-type cage that would fit.

I don’t know how often the league checks. Worse comes to worse I put on the cage from my old helmet.

but how is the protection on this helmet?

3 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I don’t know how often the league checks. Worse comes to worse I put on the cage from my old helmet.

but how is the protection on this helmet?

I haven't used one, but many others swear by their Sportmasks. I would definitely just shoot them an email to ask if they have the certified cages because getting another's brand's cage to fit is usually a lost cause, and at the same time ask which one would fit best for you. Honestly, to me this seems like one of the best deals at the moment.

You could also email info@sportmask.com to ask if they make the certified cages for those models.

4 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I haven't used one, but many others swear by their Sportmasks. I would definitely just shoot them an email to ask if they have the certified cages because getting another's brand's cage to fit is usually a lost cause, and at the same time ask which one would fit best for you. Honestly, to me this seems like one of the best deals at the moment.

You could also email info@sportmask.com to ask if they make the certified cages for those models.

I’m looking on SidelineSwap and I see some pro series sports masks masks. I see the mage pro and the vx5 pro 

both around 550$

1 minute ago, Goalieinneed said:

I’m looking on SidelineSwap and I see some pro series sports masks masks. I see the mage pro and the vx5 pro 

both around 550$

Yeah those are the Pro models which I think are a step above the F-series (the one I posted a link to), but the F-series should still be a good mask.

33 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I have an Assault and play high level high school and very competitive travel hockey. I love it. No problems at all.

Archived