The "I Need a New Mask" Thread

cwarnar

1 hour ago, Doobiesnax said:

The Estonians!!!!

What'd I do now? ?

As for plastic masks.. I've used (ABS) Reidic masks for 15 years, got my kids in them, great masks. Pretty much all Swedish pros were in them in the 2000's, including one who wore his in the NHL.

I posted on GSBB many times about mask materials. Plastic is better for impacts (player helmets, NFL players, all plastic), as long as the mask is reenforced in front to withstand a direct shot, and foam is good, then I'd argue a ABS goal mask is better than carbon due to the fact plastic flexes on ice impact. But this would ruin the business plan of many a carbon mask maker.

That said, I do like the Wall W10 mask. I haven't tried the W6, but if the mould is the same (I think it is) then I might prefer it over the W10 if it's flexable

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, estogoalie said:

What'd I do now? ?

As for plastic masks.. I've used (ABS) Reidic masks for 15 years, got my kids in them, great masks. Pretty much all Swedish pros were in them in the 2000's, including one who wore his in the NHL.

I posted on GSBB many times about mask materials. Plastic is better for impacts (player helmets, NFL players, all plastic), as long as the mask is reenforced in front to withstand a direct shot, and foam is good, then I'd argue a ABS goal mask is better than carbon due to the fact plastic flexes on ice impact. But this would ruin the business plan of many a carbon mask maker.

That said, I do like the Wall W10 mask. I haven't tried the W6, but if the mould is the same (I think it is) then I might prefer it over the W10 if it's flexable

of course you'd say this.... being a sneaky Estonian and all... is that a "Make America Bauer Again" sticker on your mask?

1 minute ago, AG37 said:

Those who have not heard or Wall or seen one in person really should. The W4, W6, W8 and W10 are among the best masks on the market for their price points. I do try to steer others clear of plastic masks but the 'plastic' Wall mask are actually great. I personally wear a W8 (coming from Bauer 960s in the past) and I would not hesitate to wear a Wall polycarbonate mask.

@AG37... while I whole heartedly agree with you... perhaps we should start a new forum on Wall and their masks. Let the continued use of this one be for @cwarnar and his search for the next right mask for him.

2 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

of course you'd say this.... being a sneaky Estonian and all... is that a "Make America Bauer Again" sticker on your mask?

You filthy American dog! May your Tron mask crack like an egg shell and your tiny brain rolls on the ice where it gets skated over into even tinier pieces and then melted by the Zamboni!

?

Just now, estogoalie said:

You filthy American dog! May your Tron mask crack like an egg shell and your tiny brain rolls on the ice where it gets skated over into even tinier pieces and then melted by the Zamboni!

?

Ha, your estonian espionage has proven typically estonian .... unreliable!  I'm Canadian and rock a Coveted mask now ;) 

1 hour ago, AG37 said:

Those who have not heard or Wall or seen one in person really should. The W4, W6, W8 and W10 are among the best masks on the market for their price points. I do try to steer others clear of plastic masks but the 'plastic' Wall mask are actually great. I personally wear a W8 (coming from Bauer 960s in the past) and I would not hesitate to wear a Wall polycarbonate mask.

WALL W6.jpg

What makes Wall’s plastic better than everyone else’s?

On 15/11/2017 at 5:10 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Mroy31 just got a Masked Marvel

MROY - any initial thoughts? 

I'll post a bit more detail in another post after a few more skates, but, initial thoughts are that Masked Marvel should probably be the go-to for anyone who wants a pro level mask and is considering buying off-the-shelf. 

I knew I wanted a 960 with medium fit but a little deeper to accommodate my head, and that's exactly what the Assault model gave me. Foams are super comfortable, better than my 950.  Cost me under $800 when I was ready to drop a grand plus Canadian tax on the 960XPM. 

Don't know if they do head molds if you actually go into the office, so I'm sure the masks originally listed would be considered a level above maybe? But MM beats off-the-shelf for sure imo

16 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Not busting balls, does anyone have a technical explanation of what makes Wall plastic unique?

i don’t doubt that someone could engineer a plastic safe enough for hockey... but I need more info 

See National Football League - and every football league for plastic used on helmets that is tough enough for hockey.

5 minutes ago, MTH said:

See National Football League - and every football league for plastic used on helmets that is tough enough for hockey.

Apples and Oranges, plastic is the current go to material for player helmets too...

Different impacts, different forces, etc 

On 11/15/2017 at 7:17 AM, cwarnar said:

OTNY

Love the X1 Pro... but the Maltese mask is also a good option as I've gone to Maltese in my Stacey

There's an announcement coming soon.  If you haven't committed yet, wait and see.
Should be up this afternoon Eastern Standard Time.

1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

What was the news, did i miss it?

26 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Replacement padding kits specifically for the Bauer NME series? Okay, I can dream right?

The OTNY X1 with Maltese gel cleared HECC/CSA Certs.

The price point is really aggressive for what you get: full kevlar and carbon layered shell and the perks of the gel padding.

image.png.d34e5f81a13461e3b7f0384e929ae1b2.png

13 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Will there ever be a Canadian distribution or at least samples from a representative?

Distribution for Canada is handled by Maltese Canada.  Rhys Johnson is the Canadian rep (rhys@maltesesports.com), you can reach out to him for demo product and procedure.

GoalieMonkey in Canada also carries active stock of our collars and mask kits, although I believe for Canada these items are online only. 

UPDATE... I've decided to go to with a ProTechSport... Bang for buck and the look is classic.  Prior to my Stacey I was in a Koho 570, which as I understand is very close to Michel's masks.

image_2074.jpg.d6630cb1b4be720c8d953f42569c1615.jpg

Sending Michel my deposit today and will get the head mold done soon.  No major preference on shell at this point!

Going full kevlar, black foam, black straps, chin sling and cat eye cage (anyone know if Michel offers a cheater?  Haven't asked him yet)

Second part will be the big decision to go with a paint job/wrap or just a solid color

Archived