HECC Process

TheGoalNet

Going to start researching and trying to make sense of the HECC process... please let me if you have additional questions I should consider? 

1. Lehman’s explanation of the process

2. Definition of safety for the helmet process 

3. How has the process evolved over time

4. Has material make up been considered as something to consider for goalie helmets

5. Has there been considereation to make to the process more accessible to smaller companies

6. It’s a consensus that fit is key to in helmet safety, why are custom fit helmets excluded

7. Has HECC considered approving shells instead of the padding. There should be some accountability on the consumer and seller  

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Going to start researching and trying to make sense of the HECC process... please let me if you have additional questions I should consider? 

1. Lehman’s explanation of the process

2. Definition of safety for the helmet process 

3. How has the process evolved over time

4. Has material make up been considered as something to consider for goalie helmets

5. Has there been considereation to make to the process more accessible to smaller companies

6. It’s a consensus that fit is key to in helmet safety, why are custom fit helmets excluded

7. Has HECC considered approving shells instead of the padding. There should be some accountability on the consumer and seller  

5.1 What costs are involved with HECC certification? How many examples must be provided for testing etc.?

7.1 Has HECC considered approving replacement (non-OEM) padding? (wink to Maltese etc.)

8. Why did they institute expiration dates and how was 6.5 years decided upon?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 3:28 PM, TheGoalNet said:

5. It's accessible to anyone willing to spend the amount of cash to have the testing done. Smaller companies aren't going to be able to get the same level of retail penetration as CCM and Bauer, so it isn't worth the cost to be certified, when you can sell to adults who don't need the sticker at a price that isn't inflated by passing on the testing costs. Each size of mask needs to be tested, so if you plan to offer Jr and S/M/L/XL shells, it's 5x the testing fee.

6. Once a specific shell/padding/cage combination passes testing, only the reproduction of that identical shell/padding/cage is certified. Because each custom mask will have a differently shaped shell, it isn't the "same" as the one that was tested, even if the same manufacturing method is used.

7. They test the total package. Testing individual components isn't particularly instructive.

Archived