Thomas Greiss: CANCELLED by Team Germany

estogoalie

3 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

The DEB doesn't have to give any reason for cutting Greiss, actually. Grubauer is better than him anyways.

The official word from the Sport Director Christian Künast is something to the effect that "we are not totally sure that Greiss' values match those of the team". Sounds kind of weak. If your are going to cut your top goalie, you better give some damn good, solid reasons. No wonder fans are ticked.

https://www.eishockeynews.de/aktuell/artikel/2021/05/03/greiss-wird-nach-instagram-post-vorerst-nicht-mehr-fuer-nationalteam-nominiert-wm-chancen-fuer-viele-deutsche-nhl-spieler-sinken/dde44a42-68ff-4f4e-9481-c84551825ba2.html

Greiss was just the NHL player of the week...but OK...LOL

Edited by estogoalie

Just now, estogoalie said:

The official word from the Sport Director Christian Künast is something to the effect that "we are not totally sure that Greiss' values match those of the team"

https://www.eishockeynews.de/aktuell/artikel/2021/05/03/greiss-wird-nach-instagram-post-vorerst-nicht-mehr-fuer-nationalteam-nominiert-wm-chancen-fuer-viele-deutsche-nhl-spieler-sinken/dde44a42-68ff-4f4e-9481-c84551825ba2.html

Greiss was just the NHL player of the week...but OK...LOL

Guys don't make teams for being locker room problems all the time. That's no business of ours.

For the life of me - I don't get why pro athletes keep posting crap online. 

Lay low. Let the money flow.

The world is full of people who enjoy crapping on others. Don't give them anything to scrutinize and bury you for.

Post nothing. Fly under the radar.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CJ Boiss said:

Guys don't make teams for being locker room problems all the time. That's no business of ours.

I didn't read anything about the team complaining, or him making any trouble in locker-rooms. Seems more of a "top-down" thing to me (ie: coach doesn't like him) Maybe you disagree, but I would say the fans deserve a good explanation.

Just now, estogoalie said:

I didn't read anything about the team complaining, or him making any trouble in locker-rooms. Seems more of a "top-down" thing to me (ie: coach doesn't like him) Maybe you disagree, but I would say the fans deserve a good explanation.

The team is made up of guys that play all over the place, professionally; they're not together for him to make trouble in the locker room. And so what if it's top-down? GMs, and to a lesser extent coaches, decide on their rosters. Not players. And they don't owe us an explanation for cutting their back-up goalie.

13 minutes ago, MTH said:

The world is full of people who enjoy crapping on others. Don't give them anything to scrutinize and bury you for.

To be fair, sometimes lifting up the veil can lead to some absolute gems of entertainment.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/08/26/jonathan-marchessault-goes-off-on-instagram-commenters-after-being-accused-of-diving-during-game/

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, MTH said:

Everyone's got some kind of on-line life, kind of hard to avoid. I think Greiss' posting condolences to Rush Limbaugh's family are pretty tame compared to alot of other athletes these days (eg. Lebron calling for cops to be killed).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Everyone's got some kind of on-line life, kind of hard to avoid. I think Greiss' posting condolences to Rush Limbaugh's family are pretty tame compared to alot of other athletes these days (eg. Lebron calling for cops to be killed).

"YOU’RE NEXT #ACCOUNTABILITY" doesn't read, to me, as advocating for the murder of a cop; rather that the officer in question would be the next to be held legally accountable (given what had just happened in the Chauvin trial). Kinda weird that you're taking a bad faith interpretation of LeBron's tweet here, especially given that he subsequently clarified he wasn't advocating for violence. 'Cause, you know, murder isn't accountability, which is what he was demanding.

But this is very much not the topic of the thread, and if that's where you want to take the conversation then it should probably be closed.

35 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

"YOU’RE NEXT #ACCOUNTABILITY" doesn't read, to me, as advocating for the murder of a cop; rather that the officer in question would be the next to be held legally accountable (given what had just happened in the Chauvin trial). Kinda weird that you're taking a bad faith interpretation of LeBron's tweet here, especially given that he subsequently clarified he wasn't advocating for violence. 'Cause, you know, murder isn't accountability, which is what he was demanding.

But this is very much not the topic of the thread, and if that's where you want to take the conversation then it should probably be closed.

LOL at you getting your jabs in and then begging to have the thread closed to get the last word.   Much like your earlier post seemed to imply that Greiss was a Nazi sympathizer, LeBron's inflammatory tweet was VERY MUCH open to interpretation.  People of many different beliefs took what he said as a rallying cry against law enforcement and either thought it was a bad look or loved it.  When you leave your statements open to interpretation you can't get upset when people interpret them.  When that happens it's on you, not them.  Personally I don't believe LeBron for even a fraction of a second.  I think he posted in haste and repented in leisure but I'm more than willing to move past it as long as there isn't a repeat pattern.  Hopefully he learns the importance of precision in communications about sensitive topics.   

It's one thing to hop on Insta and spew out "LMAOROFL the new TrueBauerBattram graphic looks turrible and should be burned at the stake" and another to make deliberately vague statements like "you're next", stir up your followers, and then walk it back with a weak apology.  But that's the social media blueprint:

• Make vague statement that ALMOST says what you didn't have the chutzpah to say in the first place
  • If you get applauded, end of story
  • If you get pushback, claim you were misunderstood and "clarify"
  • If you still get pushback, offer weak apology, "clarify" original statement again
  • Wash, rinse, repeat

Everyone does it.  Conservative and liberal, athlete and politician, people of all races and genders seem to think this is the right way to act.   Hopefully I'm crystal clear when I say it's pathetic and despicable. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

*snip*

When you read what I post, do you just zone out and imagine what I said and then respond to that? Because it sure seems that way.

LeBron is not the topic of this thread, and frankly discussion of his social media posts don't really have a place on an ice hockey goalie forum.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, CJ Boiss said:

Have you ever got a mask painted and not been very specific about every element on it? The S's don't even match the rest of the font. They were clearly SS bolts, which is absolutely equivalent to a swastika or scrawling Hitler's name on there somewhere. Greiss grew up in Germany, dude knew exactly what he was doing with that.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know man. I definitely see what you're saying, but it's not like it's comic sans and time new roman.

He had this mask for a single year and the rest of his masks that have carried his name on the front (which have been many) have all had the same font. Could it be his way of sneaking in a SS symbol for a single year? Maybe, but I do believe that it was more likely a design choice that in retrospect looks poorly.

The other items for their reasoning I'm game for, but I still don't fully buy in on the hidden SS symbol on the mask. Feels like a reach to me.

Maybe.  Just maybe, you're right and he did know exactly how it looked and made sure his painter changed that in all of his masks going forward.  My goodness, what a hard concept to grasp.

• Like 1