Opinion on C/A´s -> Bauer 1S, Warrior R/GT, Vaughn V6 2000

alex

Hey,

I´m looking for a new chestprotector and I have some different options on the retail side. I´m not looking for a custom chestprotector but still want to get a solid one.

For my price range I have some different options at the moment -> Bauer 1S, Warrior R/GT and Vaughn V6 2000.

What´s your opinion on these? Any experience in regards of durability, protection .....?

Thank you for your help!

Well, first of I´m trying to stay in my budget and also don´t really need a custom unit. A pro retail unit is good enough for me so I don´t need to spend the extra amount of money. Also I´m from Germany and it´s a bit easier to go retail.

No actual on-ice experience with 1S, but tried at store at looks almost same as my NXG and my previous ONE95 - same contruction and style. 1S has better elbow cups than NXG, but I found outer materil little cheap. But my friend has 1S with no materiAl issues yet. NXG/1S chest is on the bulkier/blocker type side. I think that it is just kind of construction "love it/hate it." 

***Let me preface the comment I'm about to make... should anyone have additional insight/correction by all means please do so.***

I was under the impression that 1S line was focused on blocking and 1X was mobility. What came to my mind first when reading your list is that the 1S is different from the Warrior R/GT and Vaughn V6 2000 in that both of the latter are constructed with a more mobile style in mind. I struggle with this myself when I look at new pieces of equipment and are they built to compliment my style of play? Fit and feel are the most important for sure, and there is no substitute for trying them all on with your pants to see how each integrates and fits in general.

I've never owned a Warrior, although I have looked at them. Same goes for Bauer. Brian's, Vaughn, and CCM only so far. Wearing the CCM now I miss aspects of my Vaughn and would put a beefed up package unit on my own short list for next C/A... along with a Passau unit. 

54 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

If those retail units are in your price range, you should really consider looking at Passau. Esp if you’re in the US and can take advantage of the conversion rate. With the same budget you have a lot of options available. 

He's in Germany.

I wouldn't want to pay for the shipping.

I use a Bauer nxg (which I assume is similar to the 1s except for the addition of the curv composite) and it’s great, the body is very protective, it does give off pretty good rebounds off the chest though. The only stinger I’ve had was a slap shot that got tipped and hit me square in the forearm. I don’t have a problem with that though because that was literally the first shot and only shot I’ve taken to the arm. It looks like the arms are much better on the 1x but I don’t know about the 1s. It is also very mobile when it’s worked in, I bought it used from an OHL guy so I don’t know how long it takes to break in though. Hope I helped

A dozen games so far with a R/GT Pro (stock) and it is a tank, but very mobile right from the start. Coming from a 'well-worn' 15plus? year old  koho 570pro, I'm now more than comfortable to face the shots from an ex-AHLer & some ex-CFL linemen. Highly recommended.

i've used a significant amount of c/a's (6 in 4 years), and will vouch for the R/GT. It's mobile and very protective. Also, the way it's designed makes it easy to add pieces and perform repairs (which I do a lot of). 

I don't like the 1S because Bauer has gone cheap on a lot of the materials in that unit VS the NXG, not to mention the elbow cups are garbage. If anyone ever took a shot there looking to bank it off of you, or if you fall on it, then you're screwed. It's literally a nylon/soft padding cup with a small Poron XRD dot in the middle. It's half-assed and not worth it. Vaughns are mobile but have very little side-rib and arm protection. If you're oNLY choosing between these 3, then I'd go Warrior.

The new CCM's are also gimmicky. My old premier pro had weak stomach padding and the arms were atrocious. The old RBK P1 and P4 arms were leaps and bounds better. 

Oh. Try Brian's. Their stuff rocks too. 

Archived