Olie 8000 Mask Materials

10 minutes ago, DL42 said:

this is review forum and "hi" is not how  u write a subject sentence, unless "hi" is a new product

Dude, this is not the first time you’ve jumped all over someone for a very minor thing. Pedantry does not a good community contribution make. And if I’m being honest, not all of your contributions have been gold.

It’s not that you’re wrong in principle, it’s just that it could have been put in a much nicer, more helpful way, like “Oh - Looks like this is missing a title” or “hey - this might fit better in another section” and even - “hey mods - could you help out on this?”

But maybe it’s just me.

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All I could really find was an ebay description: "Sturdy fiberglass resin type construction". When I looked up the maker (Olie sports), they are either perm closed or sorta open or something else. Was super confusing trying to figure out their status. Sorry I couldn't help more.

• Chenner29 changed the title to Olie 8000 Mask Materials
On 6/25/2021 at 2:52 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Dude, this is not the first time you’ve jumped all over someone for a very minor thing. Pedantry does not a good community contribution make. And if I’m being honest, not all of your contributions have been gold.

It’s not that you’re wrong in principle, it’s just that it could have been put in a much nicer, more helpful way, like “Oh - Looks like this is missing a title” or “hey - this might fit better in another section” and even - “hey mods - could you help out on this?”

But maybe it’s just me.

Stuff like that is likely why participation rate is pretty low. I will never be a “cool kid” and won’t berate someone. This is supposed to be a community. 

Lots of disclaimers here but here goes nonetheless...

Piecing together parts from above (and assuming they are accurate) and if I'm recalling these correctly - they were of the more affordable variety (not "cheap" but not trying to compete with Itech/Bauer's 960/961). At that rate - I'd guess they use polyester resin (which degrades over time). If they haven't been in business for at least ten years then whatever mask you have or are looking at is at least that old. Regardless of the construction (all fiberglass or some mix) - the resin would be the limiting factor. All that said - if I had one - I'd retire it. If I was looking to buy one - I'd skip it.

Hopefully that's helpful.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chile57 said:

Piecing together parts from above (and assuming they are accurate) and if I'm recalling these correctly - they were of the more affordable variety (not "cheap" but not trying to compete with Itech/Bauer's 960/961). At that rate - I'd guess they use polyester resin (which degrades over time). If they haven't been in business for at least ten years then whatever mask you have or are looking at is at least that old. Regardless of the construction (all fiberglass or some mix) - the resin would be the limiting factor. All that said - if I had one - I'd retire it. If I was looking to buy one - I'd skip it.

Poly resin not only degrades, but the structures shrink and distort over time. If that is poly resin, stay far away. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 9:52 AM, chile57 said:

I think this is pretty much all that needs to be said.  All Ollie masks are going to be at least a decade old by now.  There are far better affordable options out there these days.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:46 PM, DL42 said:

this is review forum and "hi" is not how  u write a subject sentence, unless "hi" is a new product

On 6/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

But maybe it’s just me.

I agree that this could have been handled a bit more tactfully.  Let's play nice my friends!

@Larceny#30 realize this thread is a bit dated but turned up this link from the Mod Squad BB...

https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/32796-olie-ma2000-pro-series-goalie-mask/

.. which essentially says - 2000 = fiberglass/carbon fiber (if the user is to be believed). They also talk of cracking and whatnot. I know you were talking 8000 so somewhere else I found the 8000 being a ringette mask (which might loan to the point above with it being polycarbonate). Regardless - I stand by my I'd skip it assessment.

Just thought I'd throw this in there in case they next body has the same question and does a search.

• Thanks 1