Mask repadding/refurbishment ???

Snowman30

Who is out there now that is doing mask repadding /refurbishment ? I know we lost a couple of places in the last few years who backed away or decided on no longer to offer it as it was taking over there main business. I am going to be looking for someone to work on my new to me Lundqvist Pro department mask I just picked up today used. Is there anyone based in Canada anymore ? Google didn't really help much, just give me most of the ones who no longer offer it. Thanks

On 12/2/2017 at 7:37 PM, Snowman30 said:

Who is out there now that is doing mask repadding /refurbishment ? I know we lost a couple of places in the last few years who backed away or decided on no longer to offer it as it was taking over there main business. I am going to be looking for someone to work on my new to me Lundqvist Pro department mask I just picked up today used. Is there anyone based in Canada anymore ? Google didn't really help much, just give me most of the ones who no longer offer it. Thanks

I believe Frank Cipra has access to the Rubatex that was used in these masks.  He's in Ontario.

Shameless plug, but Maltese gel is an option as well.

Good thread... I was going to start one myself. Wife actually suggested I refurb an old mask or two... some need clear removed and paint touched up as well... but I was thinking Maltese in any/all of them.

@Chenner29... any chance there is a way I can order sheets instead of the retail strips? I'm sure it adds up to the same protection... but was wanting to fill it out like Jonas...

image.png.c0a75556cce425770ece812d4f13a490.png    image.png.ae20814bbfc45aa926903fce65e02e58.png

*photo credits to @maltesesportscanada IG

8 hours ago, craig said:

Where are you located Snowman? And what exactly are you looking for?

Depending on how things go I might be looking at get this mask re padded. It a Bauer Pro department Lundqvist mask I just got. I am still unsure if I will keep it as I like my Protech masks alot but I want to try a Bauer out. It's a really nice mask.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice mask.

PM me if you decide to keep it and want to refoam. I don't have a ton of time for mask stuff since we had our second kid... but I could handle a refoaming no problem. 

Not sure where in Canada you are. I'm in Ottawa. 

18 hours ago, craig said:

Nice mask.

PM me if you decide to keep it and want to refoam. I don't have a ton of time for mask stuff since we had our second kid... but I could handle a refoaming no problem. 

Not sure where in Canada you are. I'm in Ottawa. 

Thanks Craig, I will let you know. I am only a couple of hours away from you in Bracebridge,On

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, sebastiancp1 said:

I would also purchase Maltese if it came in the sheets as opposed to blocks.  I would pay quite a bit of money for a 961 Maltese pad kit.

@Chenner29... do I need to get a petition going for this to happen? I'll do it. Getting stone walled by anyone who uses Maltese in their products when requesting to buy sheets.

8 minutes ago, sebastiancp1 said:

I would also purchase Maltese if it came in the sheets as opposed to blocks.  I would pay quite a bit of money for a 961 Maltese pad kit.

And in turn Maltese would probably make a lot of money if they made sheets for the Bauer and CCM masks, considering most people buy those masks from stores.

13 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Chenner29... do I need to get a petition going for this to happen? I'll do it. Getting stone walled by anyone who uses Maltese in their products when requesting to buy sheets.

I've been with Maltese for just under a year at this point, and I get this question all the time.  Unfortunately, there are no plans to release uncut sheets or product-specific solutions at this time. 

I can tell you I've put 3 kits in my masks throughout the years, and have never had an issue with fit, but that's me personally.

What kind of issues are you experiencing with fit, maybe I can help you there?

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I've been with Maltese for just under a year at this point, and I get this question all the time.  Unfortunately, there are no plans to release uncut sheets or product-specific solutions at this time. 

I can tell you I've put 3 kits in my masks throughout the years, and have never had an issue with fit, but that's me personally.

No fit issues... just OCD. If you can help me with that pretty much my whole family and anyone I work with will forever be in your debt.

All joking aside, I just would prefer to pad the mask in the OEM padding style but with Maltese. I understand it's not only needlessly adding weight, and likely overkill, but just saying i'm not alone in that thought process. Ideally I'd carefully remove the Rubatex padding from the mask and use it as a template on Maltese sheets.

To play devil's advocate... why does Jonas not just use a kit? Why is Otny not just using a kit?

(Sidenote: Please do NOT ask why I didn't just get an Otny instead of my polycarbonate Wall W6H... it was a few years ago...)

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I can feel the edges of the strips. It was much less noticeable with the dots, but the strips I don't like at all. I also like the feeling of all of the padding touching my head. The "select points here and there" thing doesn't feel as snug to me. 

I talked to Maltese via Instagram a while back about it. Was told basically I'd have to become a vendor, sign a contract, and buy in bulk. Minimum order is 5 sheets, or about $1200 worth. Maybe @bunnyman666 would be interested in using Maltese in his skate shop? ;) 

10 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

While we're talking refurbishment though... I know I can probably google this... but anyone have any insight on the Wire Wrap being used by Bauer? If I'm going to refurb an oldie I could probably get some tubing and mimic this. Would certainly help protect the paint job etc.

image.png.e864f6e4b736f0ecc83696052418a11d.png

My masks all have it (Bauer NME) and it's great most of the time. The problem is when you get a cage powder coated. That little bit of extra thickness combined with the tubing makes it much harder to get the cage on, as if its not already hard enough on a Fit 1 (small) where the cage is designed to work on all three sizes. I've started using slightly longer screws just because it's so much easier. 

32 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

My masks all have it (Bauer NME) and it's great most of the time. The problem is when you get a cage powder coated. That little bit of extra thickness combined with the tubing makes it much harder to get the cage on, as if its not already hard enough on a Fit 1 (small) where the cage is designed to work on all three sizes. I've started using slightly longer screws just because it's so much easier. 

Thanks for the advice@IPv6Freely... I probably would have just gotten annoyed when putting it all back together. I'll pick up some longer screws in advance.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

No fit issues... just OCD. If you can help me with that pretty much my whole family and anyone I work with will forever be in your debt.

All joking aside, I just would prefer to pad the mask in the OEM padding style but with Maltese. I understand it's not only needlessly adding weight, and likely overkill, but just saying i'm not alone in that thought process. Ideally I'd carefully remove the Rubatex padding from the mask and use it as a template on Maltese sheets.

To play devil's advocate... why does Jonas not just use a kit? Why is Otny not just using a kit?

(Sidenote: Please do NOT ask why I didn't just get an Otny instead of my polycarbonate Wall W6H... it was a few years ago...)

I would love to take a stab at this question in an official capacity, but I wasn't privvy to the negotiation so anything I would say would be supposition at best.

The kit in its current form allows us to serve the broadest range of customers.  There are always exceptions like yourself and @IPv6Freely; I'm not saying it's the best solution for everyone, but it's a good solution for most folks. 

Taking off my rep hat for a minute, I would guess:

• Hiller is well-known for being very particular about his gear (much like myself and you, it sounds like);
  • OTNY could meet the MOQ and has the means/desire to cut their own kits

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I can feel the edges of the strips. It was much less noticeable with the dots, but the strips I don't like at all. I also like the feeling of all of the padding touching my head. The "select points here and there" thing doesn't feel as snug to me. 

I talked to Maltese via Instagram a while back about it. Was told basically I'd have to become a vendor, sign a contract, and buy in bulk. Minimum order is 5 sheets, or about $1200 worth. Maybe @bunnyman666 would be interested in using Maltese in his skate shop? ;) 

$1.2K is a lot to come up with for an ancillary product; however- I could sell it as lace bite pads. I’d love to do refurbs, as well; however- my other part time gig needs to wind down a bit...

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

$1.2K is a lot to come up with for an ancillary product; however- I could sell it as lace bite pads. I’d love to do refurbs, as well; however- my other part time gig needs to wind down a bit...

You can actually buy Maltese lace bite pads at retail. 

I was thinking more doing mods to chestys, knee blocks, glove refurb, etc. 

Or maybe a group buy? LOL.

10 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Exactly same opinion, if I can switch padding in my Bauer 961 to the Maltese with the sheet or better with "Maltese kit for 961", this will be best solution. Padding in 961 fits perfectly my head (without some time 20 years ago with helmet - cage combo, I was allways in bauer profile model), other masks and padding don´t fit me good. Overkill for my level of game? Absolutly, but it is never bad to have maximum head protection.

8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:
  • Hiller is well-known for being very particular about his gear (much like myself and you, it sounds like);

That is true, just look at his current CCM set - it is what he is used to and no changes allowed :D. But to be realistic - none of us is in the position of well known ex-NHL goalie and pro in swiss league/national team (of course, I´m only few steps from NHL, before I hit the ice and fall back to reality;) ).

18 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I would love to take a stab at this question in an official capacity, but I wasn't privvy to the negotiation so anything I would say would be supposition at best.

The kit in its current form allows us to serve the broadest range of customers.  There are always exceptions like yourself and @IPv6Freely; I'm not saying it's the best solution for everyone, but it's a good solution for most folks. 

Taking off my rep hat for a minute, I would guess:

• OTNY could meet the MOQ and has the means/desire to cut their own kits

Good deal. Thanks for the note back. Maybe I'll just see if OTNY could do the refurb. Will cost... but is what it is.

Archived