Socks Vs Sockless

TheGoalNet

Socks   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear socks?

• Yes
    • No

As many of you might be aware, I recently embraced knee pads. 

I’m trying to be as open as I can to new gear choices. 

The NME VTX is a great example too. It’s not a helmet I would have picked walking into the store... but I’ve been impressed so far... 

So what do you wear under your skates and why? Any sock recommendations for a first timer? 

No socks. Been doing this many years as a player and now as a goalie. I always felt like socks allowed my feet to slip around inside the skate too much. I always fit skates for bare feet. Now that I’m in VH/True, I’m getting that great connected feeling everyone is talking about. 

Downside, I am told by many skate sharpeners and family members that my skates stink to hell. Small price to pay IMO. 

When my VH skates were new, I did not wear socks, as I could not get into those skates, otherwise. Now that they are getting close to a year old, they have *just* enough room for a very thin sock. I still get that super-connected feeling with the skate having a super-thin sock. Oddly enough, my skates are starting to slightly smell better. I dry my skates after each use: first with a cold blow dryer and now with a Peet’s boot dryer.  

I would get a long version of a running sock. Bauer has a thin sock that would cover your needs.

I've always worn socks, thin ones, but always had socks. When I was little I'd wear a pair of my Dad's dress socks, they were thin and were oversized enough to pull up high. Nowadays there so many specialty socks it's crazy. My experience lately is this...

• Protective Sock $$$ - I had the Bauer NG Elite w/ Kevlar. They are on the thicker side and after about a year of wearing and washing the Kevlar fibers started to poke out and feel really scratchy against my leg. Under Armour makes pair too, just as expensive I believe. 
  • Stability Sock $$ - I haven't tried these myself, but they're interesting. Stable 26 makes some that have interchangeable silicon pads be for the medial and lateral portions of your heel to help lock your foot into your skates. Hopefully someone has tried these and can add some color around their experience.
  • Compression Sock $ - I have gone back to a thin soccer style sock (Under Armour Performance Skate Socks.) A little compression around the arch of my foot and pull them up over the calf. 3/4 compression pants over the top of them. Inexpensive enough to buy a couple and keep a spare pair in your bag for tournaments.

Bauer NG Elite Performance Socks            Stable 26 Above Calf Sr. Hockey Socks                  Under Armour Performance Skate Socks

That said, you'll probably never actually be comfortable with them as @Punisher Goalie points out having gone sans socks for so long, but there are certainly plenty of options out there.

56 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I've always worn socks, thin ones, but always had socks. When I was little I'd wear a pair of my Dad's dress socks, they were thin and were oversized enough to pull up high. Nowadays there so many specialty socks it's crazy. My experience lately is this...

Some of us still only use dress socks. :P

4 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Sockless skates were the grossest things to touch or even be around. I refused to sharpen a few pairs when I was working. To breathe in someone else's bacteria from their feet for what I was making? Nope.

To be fair, dust masks should be mandatory when sharpening skates.

dm-302.jpg

I sharpened skates for 9 years, it was never mandatory and still isn't. Even so, I didn't wana even touch them.You could see the build up of slime or whatever the hell was growing on a footbed at times. How people don't take pride in their gear and cleaning it and being courteous to have to let other people handle their skates is beyond me.

7 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I sharpened skates for 9 years, it was never mandatory and still isn't. Even so, I didn't wana even touch them.You could see the build up of slime or whatever the hell was growing on a footbed at times. How people don't take pride in their gear and cleaning it and being courteous to have to let other people handle their skates is beyond me.

I know they're not, I said they should be. ;) I mean, it's only grinding metal, what harm could that do to your respiratory system? :P

People can be gross. Hell, I find my gear habits could be a hell of a lot better. And I air out and dry my gear properly after every game.

I always wear socks in goalie skates. It's a mental thing. I wear Swiftwick socks to protect against cuts. They are also very comfortable and form-fitting, so it feels like I'm wearing nothin' at all nothin' at all nothin' at all...

swiftwick-sock1.thumb.jpg.9b51d55dc6945fbb9e16462813098bc6.jpg

Oddly I'm not as particular when I wear my player skates, and depending on the time of year I will go without. I sharpen my own skates, so no trauma for shop employees. As a sharpener myself I know how gross it is, and understand @ULTIMA's plight. The second worst is when people give you crappy pond skates, or skates fresh off the ice that haven't been wiped off.

Archived