Skate Lacing Recommendations?

Would anyone be able to give some of their suggestions on how they tie their goalie skates? Generally I've tried to tie mine as tight as possible in the majority of the eyelets because I tend to like the responsiveness and the ankle support that the boot provides. The issue is after I start to skate, the bottoms of my feet have this burning sensation like when breaking in brand new skates. 

In other words, which areas should be tight and which ones should be loose while still providing response and ankle support?

Thanks

Personal choice. I like mine snug at the bottom and gradually looser near the top of the boot. I dont run the laces through the very top eyelets. No reason. I broke a skate lace and the replacement laces were a little short so I just got used to it. Depends on what works for you.

Personally I like mine pretty loose down by my toes and pretty tight up near my ankles. I easily get cramps in my big toes while playing so I've learned over the years to keep the lower parts loose. 

One thing I strongly recommend for your skates: tie them how you think you want them when dressing and then walk around the locker room before putting your pads on. Rock back and forth, get in your stance, lift up and down from your toes, etc.  I always do this to test how it feels before I tie my final double knot.  More often than not I got it right but I do sometimes make an adjustment, tighter or looser, before putting on my pads. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

I have a high instep and kinda wide feet, so I tie my skates loose at the bottom.  I snug up starting at the 4th eyelet down through the 2nd.  When I get to the top eyelet, I flex my ankle forward and tie it loose to allow for forward ankle flex

The bottom of your foot may be expanding as you warm up

What works for me is to tighten my skates all the way up, stand up in them, make sure my heel is dug into the boot, then sit back down and unlace them, then relace them to where each section is tight, but not full-strength pulling tight.  Kinda like a prebake and final tie up.  Yes it takes longer, but it works for me. 

And lately I've been leaving some slack after the top eyelets and making the knot for my ankles to be able to bend forward more easily.  I used to get the feet burning too until I tried a Shock Doctor foot bed ( no longer made of course) and this lacing method and now I almost never have an uncomfortable skate.  

And wax laces all the way for the locking (I find Howies to be the best, most consistent quality). Shift the entire lace in the boot over an inch after 6 months or so to get fresh waxy lace back in the eyelet area.  Then change about once a year.  Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

What works for me is to tighten my skates all the way up, stand up in them, make sure my heel is dug into the boot, then sit back down and unlace them, then relace them to where each section is tight, but not full-strength pulling tight.  Kinda like a prebake and final tie up.  Yes it takes longer, but it works for me. 

And lately I've been leaving some slack after the top eyelets and making the knot for my ankles to be able to bend forward more easily.  I used to get the feet burning too until I tried a Shock Doctor foot bed ( no longer made of course) and this lacing method and now I almost never have an uncomfortable skate.  

And wax laces all the way for the locking (I find Howies to be the best, most consistent quality). Shift the entire lace in the boot over an inch after 6 months or so to get fresh waxy lace back in the eyelet area.  Then change about once a year.  Your mileage may vary.

I use regular lace. I tighten about halfway between the toes and the ankle bones, and I make the laces as tight as possible from that point to the last eyelet. That way the skates don't suddenly loosen on me. 

16 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Yes, loose top eyelets is the way, otherwise your foot gets stuck in neutral and you can't flex forward

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbxX_1pgHiw/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying a few different ways myself, I tried the Scriven's method of skipping middle to gain flexion, and it did not go so well.

I've heard of folks using two short sets of laces to do one loose and do one tight. I'll probably go back to lacing it up normally minus one from the top.

2 hours ago, johncho said:

I'm trying a few different ways myself, I tried the Scriven's method of skipping middle to gain flexion, and it did not go so well.

I've heard of folks using two short sets of laces to do one loose and do one tight. I'll probably go back to lacing it up normally minus one from the top.

I've skipped the 5th eyelet on my skates since I was a teenager because my right foot has a bit of an arch on the top.  I do my left skate this way too just for symmetry.  So I have no downward pressure over the middle of my feet up top.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, Chenner29 said:

Yes, loose top eyelets is the way, otherwise your foot gets stuck in neutral and you can't flex forward

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbxX_1pgHiw/

So over the past few months I've been getting some serious lace bite to the point where I've been keeping my top eyelet pretty loose to compensate. Didn't want to change anything as we were going into playoffs (we won). 

But,

We had our first game of Spring last night and I wanted to try this out and my lord was it a massive improvement. I feel stupid for not doing this sooner. 

I was worried it was going to be a change, but it felt so natural within the first 5 minutes that it was a non issue. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Wanted to give an update and thank everyone who replied. I was able to give some of the suggestions a try this past week.

I noticed when leaving the top eyelet open and keeping the forefoot area somewhat loose, it makes my feet feel very flat footed and actually increases the burning feel.

Is this just getting used to the new tying method or is there something else I need to change?

Thanks

On 5/14/2022 at 8:31 AM, Manny said:

Hi all,

Wanted to give an update and thank everyone who replied. I was able to give some of the suggestions a try this past week.

I noticed when leaving the top eyelet open and keeping the forefoot area somewhat loose, it makes my feet feel very flat footed and actually increases the burning feel.

Is this just getting used to the new tying method or is there something else I need to change?

Thanks

Could be an arch/foot issue.  Have you tried aftermarket insoles?

I'm in custom orthotics now, but @SaveByRichter35's skate guy used to be EQM for NYI.  IIRC he told me most of his guys that weren't in a custom orthotic were in Superfeet. 

This is the one you want, don't get the comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Professional-Performance-Insoles-X-Small/dp/B01CGBD5AW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2FAYNUN7ZLCYW&keywords=superfeet+hockey&qid=1653062296&sprefix=superfeet+hockey%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-6

I've tried Superfeet and Speedplate in the past, but for me what finally worked was the Graf/SIDAS footbed. It's the only way I can wear non-Custom TRUE skates that I've found so far. So if Superfeets don't work, try other footbeds, it might work out for you.

Edited by johncho

On 5/20/2022 at 11:59 AM, Chenner29 said:

I'm in custom orthotics now, but @SaveByRichter35's skate guy used to be EQM for NYI.  IIRC he told me most of his guys that weren't in a custom orthotic were in Superfeet. 

https://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Professional-Performance-Insoles-X-Small/dp/B01CGBD5AW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2FAYNUN7ZLCYW&keywords=superfeet+hockey&qid=1653062296&sprefix=superfeet+hockey%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-6

I have no recollection of him saying that to me nor me telling you that.  Might have been someone else that told you that lol

On 5/20/2022 at 11:59 AM, Chenner29 said:

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have tried aftermarket insoles. I know I'm in unpopular territory when I say this, but I currently use SpeedPlate 2.0's. I like them because they work for my flat arches.

Something else I noticed but really feel it now, can anyone else confirm that true skates feel flat on the bottoms of your feet too? Or is this just me?

Thanks

On 5/25/2022 at 4:16 PM, Manny said:

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have tried aftermarket insoles. I know I'm in unpopular territory when I say this, but I currently use SpeedPlate 2.0's. I like them because they work for my flat arches.

Something else I noticed but really feel it now, can anyone else confirm that true skates feel flat on the bottoms of your feet too? Or is this just me?

Thanks

Speedplates form to the bottom of your feet right?  I'm not sure you're getting sufficient arch support from that.  See the article below I snipped and linked. 

Superfeet and the new CCM OrthoMove have much stronger arch support.  Also, I believe @TheGoalNet has a quotable from Bauer stating Speedplates weren't meant to be used in a goalie skate

Can't speak to the flat feel of True skates as up until 2 weeks ago I was skating on Superfeet for about two years?

image.png.bc557404eba305fc10e1755eed4c1e10.png

Source* https://treadlabs.com/blogs/insoles-reach-your-stride/insoles-for-flat-feet-support-the-arch-relieve-the-pain

On 5/26/2022 at 7:47 PM, Chenner29 said:

Speedplates form to the bottom of your feet right?  I'm not sure you're getting sufficient arch support from that.  See the article below I snipped and linked. 

Superfeet and the new CCM OrthoMove have much stronger arch support.  Also, I believe @TheGoalNet has a quotable from Bauer stating Speedplates weren't meant to be used in a goalie skate

Can't speak to the flat feel of True skates as up until 2 weeks ago I was skating on Superfeet for about two years?

image.png.bc557404eba305fc10e1755eed4c1e10.png

Source* https://treadlabs.com/blogs/insoles-reach-your-stride/insoles-for-flat-feet-support-the-arch-relieve-the-pain

I tried the 1st gen orthomoves again since I already have them from a while ago. The arch support felt a little strange but they did address my forefoot pain that I experienced on the speed plates. I used the low, med and high arch support options. Are there any significant advantages that the Superfeet Carbons have over the orthomoves comfort or performance wise? I also saw Ingoal media's video mention that Superfeet black work on goalie skates too.