Blacked out logos on purpose

creasecollector

I've seen M-A Fleury black out his old Itech neck guard due to NHL fees and the fact that Itech isn't around anymore. We've seen NHL Goalies receive "Ghosted" logos on their custom stuff all the time, and I wanted to know if anyone have done this on purpose with their own gear? 

I wouldn't ever do this on pads, gloves or pants, but I decided to do my neck area and I think it looks great. I just love the "solid" look it gives up there. It's a minor detail, but I feel it works.

Yeah, some might think it's overkill, and that's a fair point. But hey, I really like it. I just used a regular black sharpie to get the job done. I played in it today and there was no running ink or colour changes. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience doing this as well? 

2011+NHL+Winter+Classic+Practice+EpUArWy

Blacked out logo on neck guard.JPG

Blacked out logo on CA.JPG

A few of us get rid of logos on pads if the logos are inked on. Of course I buy a lot of Factory Mad, which is usually devoid of logos (I put one on my blocker). 

I tend to like logo-free. My Dad used to say “why are you paying them to advertise on you? They should be paying you to advertise!” I even have removed the jenpro letters from the sides of goalie pads. 

Of course I may be debuting my own joke brand if I can get it to work from my Cricut. 

4 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Have you ripped the logos off your car and bikes as well?:giggle:

I actually know someone who would rip the logos off of their cars! Yep- he taught me how to use dental floss to remove badging. Before the badges were stuck on, he would remove the logos and patch the holes. He also shaved chrome trim from his cars and put on new grilles with, you guessed it! No logos!

He owns a body shoppe. But unfortunately, will NOT touch goalie helmets!  

17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I actually know someone who would rip the logos off of their cars! Yep- he taught me how to use dental floss to remove badging. Before the badges were stuck on, he would remove the logos and patch the holes. He also shaved chrome trim from his cars and put on new grilles with, you guessed it! No logos!

He owns a body shoppe. But unfortunately, will NOT touch goalie helmets!  

I always laugh when I see somebody who de-badged their car. Sorry bud, despite your efforts people can still tell that you’re driving a Honda. 

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I always laugh when I see somebody who de-badged their car. Sorry bud, despite your efforts people can still tell that you’re driving a Honda. 

Nah- he did it to Caddies; yet he also made C1500 trucks into Cadillac trucks! After all- he had plenty of logos...

He has also butchered several sacred cows, including unsplitting a split window ‘vette!

@creasecollector There are several ways to cover logos. Sharpies work, but something else you could consider: some stuff can’t be blacked out with sharpies, but you could buy a small amount of HTV, cut it to cover, then iron it on. I use a hobby iron on high. You would want a teflon sheet to protect the rest of the fabric. You can’t Sharpie out some materials because it is just too big.  

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Respectfully, some people may not feel this is a waste of time. Different strokes...

There is mystique in logo-free gear for some, and some like the look of ghost logos or covered up logos. 

I like parodies of iconic brands, myself!

I can see custom ordering something sans logos or with color matched logos if that's the look you like but to just cover them up or color them in...idk, pointless imo.

30 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I can see custom ordering something sans logos or with color matched logos if that's the look you like but to just cover them up or color them in...idk, pointless imo.

I had to cover logos buried under clear coats a few times when I was racing bikes, which was pretty simple: flat black paint!  Then the vinyl plotter went to work or we got factory decals for the downtube. That was a pain, but sometimes the sponsor did not build what was needed back in those days. Penalties were stiff if you raced on a non-sponsor’s bike with the competing company’s name showing. I had one favourite bike frame for time trials and at that time, few companies made a dedicated TT bike!

I can see your point, but some people like that look. Now- if people started painting their pads and gloves with Krylon to emulate times when the NHL made teams do that with certain logos,  THAT would be silly!

27 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I had to cover logos buried under clear coats a few times when I was racing bikes, which was pretty simple: flat black paint!  Then the vinyl plotter went to work or we got factory decals for the downtube. That was a pain, but sometimes the sponsor did not build what was needed back in those days. Penalties were stiff if you raced on a non-sponsor’s bike with the competing company’s name showing. I had one favourite bike frame for time trials and at that time, few companies made a dedicated TT bike!

I can see your point, but some people like that look. Now- if people started painting their pads and gloves with Krylon to emulate times when the NHL made teams do that with certain logos,  THAT would be silly!

Covering logos because you have an actual sponsorship is totally different.  That's not doing it because you like the look.  

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Covering logos because you have an actual sponsorship is totally different.  That's not doing it because you like the look.  

I know. The point (which I admit was meandering) was that I was not all that crazy about it. I would have rather covered up the down tube sticker and head tube badge. 

I also wanted to provide an alternative to Sharpies. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Blacked out logos on purpose
  • 5 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 12:05 PM, Doobiesnax said:

this is my de-badged set up...  No pay .... no display ..... ;)

5a72216462be9_set1.thumb.jpg.8d8db66a073b7bbedcac7b99b230e8f1.jpg

What do you use to remove the logos from the jenpro? I have a set of Passau gloves that the logo has come off but has left a discolouration where the letters used to be. I have tried goo gone with no luck.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:33 AM, wigalicous said:

What do you use to remove the logos from the jenpro? I have a set of Passau gloves that the logo has come off but has left a discolouration where the letters used to be. I have tried goo gone with no luck.

I believe he used acetone.

It's all preference. I don't mind logos on my 'main' pieces of gear (pads, gloves, pants, stick... though I've de-labeled plenty of sticks), but I just do not like the look of small logos peaking out on pieces of gear. I un-stitched the big yellow Brown logo on my neck collar because it was very visible, and didn't go with any of my gear or team jerseys. I removed the Vaughn logos on the toes of my skates, because they can be seen through my new-retro pads, and I liked the blank white look. I removed the Brian's logos from my new knee set because I liked a clean, black transition from my pants to my knee-guards. I've never gone as far as to de-label my C/A or cup, because they're not visible on the ice and don't "mess with my look, man."

Call it OCD or a very narrow 'design aesthetic', but I really do prefer a clean, blank look to some of these smaller pieces of gear. You could say it's a waste of time, but if it makes me happier with how my gear looks and I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes on it (and I never mind time spent modifying gear), I wouldn't consider it time wasted.

Archived