Worst mod you've ever made

Scythe

Anybody ever do something that later made you think about what you were smoking? 

I don't do it too much. All I can think of is changing a mask chin cup to a football helmet cup and for some reason just didn't work out. 

Edited by Scythe

When I was a young teenager I tried to make my own calf and knee rises out of very low density foam. I didn't stitch them into the pads, nor use anything other than how they fit into their slots and straps to hold them in place; they fell out almost immediately and were too low density to do anything.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:05 AM, johncho said:

I tried a chin sling and it seemed ok until I got into a game with it. 

That's been the single best mod I've done. 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, chile57 said:

Results may vary on the sling. I have one in all my masks and couldn't fathom going back to a cup.

Also unfathomable to do in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think the main reason is that I have a square jaw/rounder face and the chin sling put a lot of pressure on the side of my chin (mainly on two pressure spots), and I couldn't adjust anything to alleviate the pressure. Whereas the chin cup that I have spreads out the pressure on a wider surface, and I could adjust the length to perfect eh fit.

2 hours ago, johncho said:

Yeah I think the main reason is that I have a square jaw/rounder face and the chin sling put a lot of pressure on the side of my chin (mainly on two pressure spots), and I couldn't adjust anything to alleviate the pressure. Whereas the chin cup that I have spreads out the pressure on a wider surface, and I could adjust the length to perfect eh fit.

Not sure what brand of chin sling you've got, but I got the EcoProFoam from goalieparts.com and it has two hole options. One of them I found horribly uncomfortable, the other like a warm hug. 

Not really a mod, but back in the day my first custom set was from Battram.   I asked for a one-off graphic that didn't turn out quite like the drawing I sent (not his fault, I should have been clearer) an extra set of knee stacks (back when you laced in multiple sets to build your knee stack to the desired height) and a godawful XLP catch glove that was 2" bigger than old NHL legal.   Not only did that thing weigh a ton, but I couldn't catch for beans with it.   Bigger isn't always better.