What is the worst/your least favorite piece of gear you've ever used?

botpixel

18 minutes ago, anticlaus said:

agh! those Micron skates.  the padding wore away in mine and the ankle bolt/rivet dug into my ankle and screwed me up bad.  they were just plain terrible.  i had some older d&r pads that were heavy and soaked up water like a sponge.  bayard pads were heavy too.  not great.

welcome, thanks for joining

5 hours ago, Hockey34 said:

Mine would be my vapor 2x glove, I hated the single t and the break. I had it for a couple months couldn’t catch a puck with it to save my life so I bought a supreme 2s pro now I have a mach and will never go back to a 590 glove. 

I feel your pain on the 590 glove. I had a Reebok Revoke for a good 6 months that was essentially a second blocker, could not catch a thing with it. Have never wanted to go back to a 590 since!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Novasteel31 said:

I feel your pain on the 590 glove. I had a Reebok Revoke for a good 6 months that was essentially a second blocker, could not catch a thing with it. Have never wanted to go back to a 590 since!

I feel the same way a second blocker.  

• 8 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 10:29 PM, Novasteel31 said:

And now I've gone back lmao

• Haha 1

Not sure I contributed yet but...

BAD: Tack 452 skates. Horrible pain!! Did some nerve damage to my big toe, took a full year to be able to feel it again.

Good: This is a hard one. I loved my Brown 503 c/a. It got wrecked in a flood and I had to throw it out. My Fleury pro-return H5 c/a. Sold it to upgrade. My Eagle Pro-return TT10 glove with mostly corduroy, light as heck. My Jofa glove from the late 80s, the one with the outside finger stalls. Sold it out of frustration :( . A tie between my Eagle PMW1 Kotyk Pro-return pads and my Heaton Helite-Z asymmetric design. Both were terrible for the modern butterfly slides but kicked ass in the old school/hybrid department. The list could go on lolll

On 11/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, seagoal said:

Warrior stick with the Quick/mid curve.  Felt so awkward and useless for me.  Could not play the puck at all.  That's the piece of gear I abandon the quickest........teehee.

For me it's the Bauer P31, CCM Crawford/182-2/P4, Warrior Bishop/TWT/W33 curves... I can't shoot with the banana!  Give me the nice heal-wedge curve of the P34.   I can get away with the Price curve, but I don't like the lie.

Lefebvre gloves. The Reebok glove I got when I started playing in goal was horrible. I couldn't close it properly after 3 years of use!

Runner up are Vaughn chest protectors. I had an old Vaughn Vision, then a newer Vaughn V7 Pro Carbon, and finally a pro return unit. I got stingers to the arms like they were no one's business. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new here guys, but this thread speaks to me. Ironically, the Warrior Quick mid curve sticks are my jam, and i have an absolute bullet and very good long distance pass accuracy using them and buy any I see just cause they are hard to find now. As far as gear I dont like.. Really, Lefevre and Bauer gloves. I was at least able to get a Reebok P3 glove to act as a glove but my god the Bauers I just found to be completely unable to function with. Wouldn't close, wouldn't catch, and genuinely just had no idea how it was passed off as high end gear. I'd also go with any pants that are not Tacklas. I dont know what magic those guys did with their pants but anything and everything else just feels too bulky and interferes with mobility that I never experienced in Tacklas. 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:32 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Gear > technique. 

My wife tells me this applies off the ice as well...  

On 12/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, seagoal said:

Your EF4 set was gorgeous, just sayin'.

They were beautiful to look at but holy cow did they not work for me AT ALL.   

23 hours ago, Mr Smurfington said:

Brand new here guys, but this thread speaks to me. Ironically, the Warrior Quick mid curve sticks are my jam, and i have an absolute bullet and very good long distance pass accuracy using them and buy any I see just cause they are hard to find now. 

Try Perani's.   The damned Mid/Quick pattern is all they order Warrior sticks in apparently.   I'm legitimately amazed they work for you, because I have absolutely no clue how to do anything with them.   It's not like I can only use one pattern, I like both the Bishop and Mrazek patterns from Warrior and use 4-5 different patterns fairly interchangeably when I skate out.   I swear, I'd legitimately be better off playing with a full right stick and playing the puck backhanded than fumblefarting around with a Quick curve.   It's embarrassingly bad.  

• Like 1

Lange Goalie Skates from the early 80's . The outer boot was a multiple piece shell of grey/black plastic riveted at the ankle, with built in blades. The inner boot was a separate item and was easily removed.

The whole concept was based upon ski boots.

The quality was 3 steps below shite. The boots wore out quickly and were very uncomfortable. A fellow goalie I played with eons ago would wear only socks inside of the skate shell because his inner boots wore out and he wasn't able to find replacements. I can only imagine the pain, discomfort and lack of support. Yes, I owned a pair, briefly.

Ughhhh

Very similar to Microns.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Lange Goalie Skates from the early 80's . The outer boot was a one piece shell of grey/black plastic riveted at the ankle, with built in blades. The inner boot was a separate item and was easily removed.

The whole concept was based upon ski boots.

The quality was 3 steps below shite. The boots wore out quickly and were very uncomfortable. A fellow goalie I played with eons ago would wear only socks inside of the skate shell because his inner boots wore out and he wasn't able to find replacements. I can only imagine the pain, discomfort and lack of support. Yes, I owned a pair, briefly.

Ughhhh

s-l300.jpg

That idea looks familiar, I just can't konekt the dots. 

• Haha 4