Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

To discuss any random bullshit in one place to avoid making excess threads.

If you ever lose your stick in a scramble in front of the net be sure not to try and catch a shot with your blocker hand. It does not feel good:D. It looked pretty sick and got both benches up and yelling when I reached up and out to my right and caught it with my blocker hand and tipped it into my glove but shit my thumb went numb almost immediately. Thank goodness it wasn't a hard shot haha.

During the tournament last week I made a backdoor pass save by sticking my stick behind me and the player hitting it. The puck ended up underneath me and I was trying to cover it but it ended up being loose and going back to the point. Because I was scrambling I ended up losing my stick, so I ensured I was going to cover the 5-hole with my pads from a shot from the point. When I went to close my legs, my lost stick got directly between the knee blocks on my pads and left a gap which the puck found its way through... that ended up being a go ahead goal for the other team. Luckily their goalie screwed the pooch and let up a weak goal for us to tie it and then we jammed home a rebound.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a random piece of bullshit from an old fart. I don't know the age of most of you but at some point your league days will end. That's cool; it is inevitable. If you get to that point and still burn to play, you become a drop in goalie and if you're lucky, you find a good one with some high end players, a lot of mid range ones, and a few benders. The age range goes from about 18 to about mid 40s...I'm 54 but goalies don't need to be in shape because all we do is stand there, right?

So here's the bullshit part. When in the name of heavens did this misguided fantasy develop that 4 or 5 goalies could split a 2 hour session? The worst part? You try to be a nice person and get everyone's cell so perhaps we can just effing text each other so we can match up. What happens? No one responds leading to nights were there is one goalie and other nights, hold onto your hat, SEVEN of them. What the hell? Now it is a public drop in so you cant tell folks to get lost but geez this is how good skates disappear.

I don't know how you can get a roll going in 10 min shifts or worse not blow a hamstring sitting and going back in. Mike Keenan isn't my coach anymore. My two cents where this originates: the gear is so good, anyone can play goal and it is a big whoop to put a pic on Facebook of a bruise. I cant go tonight and am typing this from my office at 7:10 pm on Friday night, the night of the Friday skate. I told everyone and their uncle last week I would likely not make it this week - I was the only goalie last Friday - and texted the goalies all this week....not a word in response. Thanks for reading this because it is something I would never say publicly...at this age.

Edited by Fullright
  • Like 2

As much as I wish I could get some extra ice throughout the week I avoid the local open hockey games.  They're a shit show.  They tend to only allow up to 3 goalies, which is nice since you don't have to sit as much, and its free for us too.  The turnout for everyone else is never constant.  There have been times where it was great, 20 people show up and you have 2 lines per side and there have been times where 5 people show up.  And it was a waste of time.  The same can go for the goalies too though.  Luckily, there is a website with signups for goalies so no one just shows up.  If you show up without signing up on the website you're sent home or offered a spot to play out if you have the gear. 

On your point, SBR, the Friday night building does have a signup sheet for the goalies they but they don't cut off sign-ins or enforce it. Sometimes there's been 2 signed in but 4 on the ice, for example. The skaters are basically a mix of 3 teams and mostly a practice for white. Rare deal for a drop in.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:11 PM, Fullright said:

Here's a random piece of bullshit from an old fart. I don't know the age of most of you but at some point your league days will end. That's cool; it is inevitable. If you get to that point and still burn to play, you become a drop in goalie and if you're lucky, you find a good one with some high end players, a lot of mid range ones, and a few benders. The age range goes from about 18 to about mid 40s...I'm 54 but goalies don't need to be in shape because all we do is stand there, right?

So here's the bullshit part. When in the name of heavens did this misguided fantasy develop that 4 or 5 goalies could split a 2 hour session? The worst part? You try to be a nice person and get everyone's cell so perhaps we can just effing text each other so we can match up. What happens? No one responds leading to nights were there is one goalie and other nights, hold onto your hat, SEVEN of them. What the hell? Now it is a public drop in so you cant tell folks to get lost but geez this is how good skates disappear.

I don't know how you can get a roll going in 10 min shifts or worse not blow a hamstring sitting and going back in. Mike Keenan isn't my coach anymore. My two cents where this originates: the gear is so good, anyone can play goal and it is a big whoop to put a pic on Facebook of a bruise. I cant go tonight and am typing this from my office at 7:10 pm on Friday night, the night of the Friday skate. I told everyone and their uncle last week I would likely not make it this week - I was the only goalie last Friday - and texted the goalies all this week....not a word in response. Thanks for reading this because it is something I would never say publicly...at this age.

That is one of the reasons I really will not go to drop in anymore as a goalie. I always left if there was more than 2 and they were staying for the whole time... more than 3 it is ridiculous. I'll only go if I have new gear I want to wear before a game.

I remember one time I went out because I wanted to try a new piece of gear out, well I brought out a player on my team to take some shots on me so I could get used to it. 3 skaters signed up and 6 goalies total... they all stayed. My buddy and I went out, grabbed a net and a few pucks and he started taking shots on me. A few of the other goalies lined up and were "waiting their turn" and then tried to push me out of the net. I simply told them that the shooter and I were there together, and when I leave he and the pucks go. If they want the net they can have it and we'll go to the board and finish up. So they took the net... with no players to shoot on them since they didn't come out yet. My buddy and I keep shooting on me on the boards working in what I wanted to use and then left after 20 minutes. None of the other goalies left... it made no sense.

Another SUPER frustrating thing was that this one shinny was pretty fast paced and there were 2 goalies that the players basically brought out to make it enjoyable and competitive. Well there were 2 other sub goalies that were awful and completely ruined the play whenever they were in net, they basically caused all the good players (3/4 of the players) to leave after the flood because they didn't want to play against them.

The last time I saw an open hockey was a Friday night, they had the ice after my game, there was one goalie on one end taking shots from like 3 guys.  The other end was another 2 or 3 guys taking turns taking slap shots on an open net with a go pro on the ice facing the puck as they shot it.  They were all complete benders.  This is what its like a lot of the time.  Then sometimes there are nights where there is a decent turn out.

35 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The last time I saw an open hockey was a Friday night, they had the ice after my game, there was one goalie on one end taking shots from like 3 guys.  The other end was another 2 or 3 guys taking turns taking slap shots on an open net with a go pro on the ice facing the puck as they shot it.  They were all complete benders.  This is what its like a lot of the time.  Then sometimes there are nights where there is a decent turn out.

I'd rather poke out my eyes!

You guys are making the point much better than I. I understand drop-in is usually garbage. What distinguishes this one is that 3 teams use it as a practice pretty much year round. The problem is the goalies who don't want to communicate and the building's inability/refusal to enforce its rules. Look, I probably shouldn't even be playing anymore and Sundays, a private skate, is off the charts. The problem with Sundays is that is from the end of March to about mid August. I mean, if you've watched my film, it is not bad hockey and the only problem, aside from mentioned above, is the D sucks....but that's expected even in a league.

Yeah, it's understood that drop-in, regular groups, and even league play won't have great defending. However, when any skate stops resembling hockey, goalies can injure themselves trying to make miraculous saves or develop bad habits due to unrealistic situations. What I'm talking about is when players are consistently getting breakaways from their own blue line with zero pressure and can go as slow as they want and even stop fully before they shoot. And if you manage to save it, they still have time to go get the rebound in the corner or behind the net and bring it back in front of goal and take an eternity to shoot. Then when your team finally returns to the zone after a goal or save and cover, they take the puck and immediately turn it over. That's not hockey. That's insanity. 

• Like 1

Just now, WillyGrips13 said:

Yeah, it's understood that drop-in, regular groups, and even league play won't have great defending. However, when any skate stops resembling hockey, goalies can injure themselves trying to make miraculous saves or develop bad habits due to unrealistic situations. What I'm talking about is when players are consistently getting breakaways from their own blue line with zero pressure and can go as slow as they want and even stop fully before they shoot. And if you manage to save it, they still have time to go get the rebound in the corner or behind the net and bring it back in front of goal and take an eternity to shoot. Then when your team finally returns to the zone after a goal or save and cover, they take the puck and immediately turn it over. That's not hockey. That's insanity. 

I've played with some pretty lax defense but never like that, thankfully.  I would probably just leave if that happened.

• Like 1

What I'm describing usually happens when there are only 12-14 skaters. The first twenty minutes are fine. Then people get gassed. By 45 minutes to the hour mark, it's a circus. And if the slot is an hour and a half the last half hour may as well be just breakaway and _ on 0 drills. I try to avoid getting roped into these situations, but sometimes you can't anticipate it will happen. 

• Like 1

Don't give it a thought, SBR. You cant hijack a rambling post anyone written out of a very long work day. :)  I just wish I had written it as succinctly as you guys wrote it. Since college, (I graduated at 22), I played pretty decent beer league until 34. So from age 22 till now, even including the 16 or 17 year hibernation, I've met about 3 or 4 real D-men. They tend to stand out, lol. Probably the hardest position to learn in my eyes.

Wow, what a s#%! show tonight. I was asked to play at a skate that is a normal group. I call it a rent out. For some reason ALL the good players were on one team. I started on the good side. We were up 4-0 before I saw a shot. After 20 minutes the other goalie asked to switch. They did shift one guy over at that time, too. It evened out a little for maybe 15 minutes. Then it fell off a cliff. There's one guy who comes in on a breakaway and stops and puck handles back and forth three or four times before shooting. And he still has time to get the rebound and the rebound and the rebound. This happened more than once. Like five to ten times. That's how bad the one team was. After an hour or so I would just stand there since no one was presenting any resistance to anyone. Plus I feel like I'd injure myself trying to make a desperation save on the twentieth backdoor pass on one sequence. And of course I got it all on the damn GoPro. Maybe I'll edit some of this footage, or maybe I'll throw the GoPro into the river. @Fullright, I don't know how you do it with your two hour shinny session with lopsided teams. To me it doesn't resemble hockey and it isn't fun. I find it hard for it to be productive when it gets that way. 

Edited by WillyGrips13

Have you been watching my shinny? So much of what you said is what I live every game that I had to multi quite you…

What I'm talking about is when players are consistently getting breakaways from their own blue line with zero pressure and can go as slow as they want and even stop fully before they shoot. And if you manage to save it, they still have time to go get the rebound in the corner or behind the net and bring it back in front of goal and take an eternity to shoot.

Happens all the time with both shinny groups I play but especially on my Sunday group: by the last half hour there’s one kid who just floats between  centre ice and my blue line waiting to convert an “alley-oop” into a breakaway and yes he has a time on some to stop and even back up to get a better angle

Then when your team finally returns to the zone after a goal or save and cover, they take the puck and immediately turn it over.

Last Wednesday’s game – first five rushes against me are breakaways: the first one was the first real play of the game. I stop the breakaway, but while I am trying to recover my D decides the best thing to do is to put a pass from behind the net through the crease and in off my skate…

Add to that, oft times I will start against a markedly stronger team so I get buried (despite the fact the fellow who organizes this knows everyone’s caliber of play he lets them set up their own sides - at the start, but then…) As soon as we (goalies) switch ends at the halfway point the fellow who organizes the skate then decides, “oh, it’s pretty lopsided, I’ll shift a bunch of strong players to the other side, so then I’m yet again getting lit up by a stacked team. I don’t come out of these games looking too good (or feeling too good about my tending abilities). While I play for fun, sometimes it feels like I'm the only one that's trying. At some point your pride just says "WTF?"

Edited by Ghostender

Getting pissed off goes with the position. How you deal with it is the hard part. Believe me, Willy, sometimes I just want to put some of the skaters in a headlock, punch them in the head, and ask why they are so stupid or lazy. But that isn't very practical and, personally, I don't have a lot of options. I am not so sure I could handle a league anymore skill-wise and I certainly don't have the energy to play a game late at night on a weekday. So I've been lucky to find Friday night. The Sunday deal is during the off season together with not being a scrimmage. It's all shooting drills. So if I want to "play" - I agree the chances against are ridiculous and almost impossible - I just have to eat it on Fridays. The fun of playing, fortunately, out weighs the absurd nature of the hockey.

What helps too is remembering that even with good hockey, most teams have idiots who look at you cross-wise on any goal. It happened in my league-days and it shows up in Hills' and Imperative's videos and they're great goalies on mostly just decent teams. So just enjoying it and trying to remember that stupid nonsense happens even with a team is how I try to cope and avoid arrests for killing dumb asses with a bad attitude, no brains, and the inability to turn left skating backwards.

Edited by Fullright

Indeed. I think I finally have had an epiphany. It's like I am finally acknowledging that competitiveness and the desire for winning really is at odds with the nature of any non-league adult hockey. Hell even some league play is devoid of the required level of desire and compete level. After Thursday's debacle, I skated out at my usual Friday night skate. We had 13 skaters for an hour and a half session. I was lucky to be on the good team. Of course there was a dominant team and a weaker team. I could only imagine being the goalie on the weaker team. I guess that's just what hockey is now, run and gun and no care for defense.

• 5 months later...

I hate playing in blowout games.  I've been on both sides of the beating and both can be just as bad.  We won our game the other night 16-6.  It wasn't fun.  We were up 16-3 with like 5 minutes left and my team totally just stopped playing.  Rightfully so, offensively, but even defensively.  Let up two 2-0 goals and one 3-1 goal in the last 5 minutes to make a respectable game(personally) a mediocre game.