Most Iconic Goalie Per Team History

RichMan

I grew up in NH in the 80s, so Boston was my team.  All I can tell you is we called Lemelin, Reggie "Let-em-in"...  Perhaps unfair, but Andy Moog was the guy during that time period.

• Like 2

I know he had cups of coffee with a couple other teams (same can be said for Ozzie) - but being from the mitten and an unofficial Red Wing "historian" - Terry Sawchuk has to be the go to for Detroit. Hands down. I mean if you are synonymous with the position of goalie - period - then you kind of have to be the default of the team where you made your name. 

I know it was mentioned that it wasn't about stats but c'mon - 447 wins (not counting playoffs which put him over 500) which held for decades and before the watered down effects of expansion - 103 which were by shutout (tack on another 12 in the playoffs). A shutout every 4.3 games. Unreal. 

Edited by chile57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kings... because I'm 47 and this was in my youth...

Kelly Hrudey talks about his new book, mental health, and The Great One |  theScore.com

The gear, the swagger, Gretzky and mullets. This was a great era of Kings hockey.

Tell me this isn't the coolest save made.......

Kelly Hrudey - Los Angeles Kings (NHL Hockey Card) 1991-92 Pro Set Pla –  PictureYourDreams

Edited by MTH
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MTH said:

Kings... because I'm 47 and this was in my youth...

Kelly Hrudey talks about his new book, mental health, and The Great One |  theScore.com

The gear, the swagger, Gretzky and mullets. This was a great era of Kings hockey.

Tell me this isn't the coolest save made.......

Kelly Hrudey - Los Angeles Kings (NHL Hockey Card) 1991-92 Pro Set Pla –  PictureYourDreams

I used to have those vic sticks and my buddy took a sharpie to my old crap coopers to mark them up like his McMartins...man that was a disaster 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, UCLALabrat said:

I used to have those vic sticks and my buddy took a sharpie to my old crap coopers to mark them up like his McMartins...man that was a disaster 🤣

Ever pick one of those Vics up now? Weigh like 25 pounds. Brutal!

The Blues are a tough one. Some great goalies through the years. Cup runs, etc.

Glenn Hall played just 4 years. Same with Eddie Johnson. They seemed to revolve goalies until Ed Staniowski lasted 6 years into 1981.

Mr. Goalie' Glenn Hall cheering on St. Louis Blues in Stanley Cup final |  The Star Phoenix

Mike Liut played 6 also (1980-1985). Was pretty good there.

Not in Hall of Fame - 80. Mike Liut

Greg Millen and Cujo did 6 years each too. Forget that Cujo was there and until he left was one of the most tenured goalies in Blues history. What a helmet too!

Greg Millen | Hockey goalie, Hockey pictures, Goalie

Fuhr did 4 (96-99) had a nice run there but he's an Oiler. Although Fuhr's gear was amazing and he jumped with the uniform change too. What sty!

Grant Fuhr St Louis Blues 8x10 Photo | eBay

Photo: Blues Grant Fuhr - - UPI.com

Brent Johnson played 5. He did ok. Then they ran through goalies again until Jake Allen and Jordan Binnington came along. Both at 7 seasons now. Binnington plays next year with the Blues and becomes the longest tenured goalie in their history. How about that? Liut still has the most games at 347 versus Binnington at 267.

All things considered the Blues most iconic would still remain Liut.

Top 3 All-Time St. Louis Blues Goalies

Binnington may play more than Liut - but he'll never have that iconic look to him like Mike Liut had. But hoisting the cup is as iconic as you can get...

Jordan Binnington St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champions Autographed  16" x 20" Raising Cup Photograph - Autographed NHL Photos at Amazon's  Sports Collectibles Store

Goes to show gear matters. Binnington changed gear so often you don't have one iconic image of him.

Jordan Binnington named second star of the week by NHL - St. Louis Game Time

Jordan Binnington, thrilled to be back in net for 'fun moments,' boosts St.  Louis Blues in Game 4 - ESPN

Jordan Binnington blanks Coyotes as Blues post 1-0 win | The Seattle Times

Not his fault - it's how it is today. 

All his gear is pretty nice though. His masks all look like blues colors diarrhea

5 minutes ago, MTH said:

The Blues are a tough one. Some great goalies through the years. Cup runs, etc.

Glenn Hall played just 4 years. Same with Eddie Johnson. They seemed to revolve goalies until Ed Staniowski lasted 6 years into 1981.

Mr. Goalie' Glenn Hall cheering on St. Louis Blues in Stanley Cup final |  The Star Phoenix

Mike Liut played 6 also (1980-1985). Was pretty good there.

Not in Hall of Fame - 80. Mike Liut

Greg Millen and Cujo did 6 years each too. Forget that Cujo was there and until he left was one of the most tenured goalies in Blues history. What a helmet too!

Greg Millen | Hockey goalie, Hockey pictures, Goalie

Fuhr did 4 (96-99) had a nice run there but he's an Oiler. Although Fuhr's gear was amazing and he jumped with the uniform change too. What sty!

Grant Fuhr St Louis Blues 8x10 Photo | eBay

Photo: Blues Grant Fuhr - - UPI.com

Brent Johnson played 5. He did ok. Then they ran through goalies again until Jake Allen and Jordan Binnington came along. Both at 7 seasons now. Binnington plays next year with the Blues and becomes the longest tenured goalie in their history. How about that? Liut still has the most games at 347 versus Binnington at 267.

All things considered the Blues most iconic would still remain Liut.

Top 3 All-Time St. Louis Blues Goalies

Binnington may play more than Liut - but he'll never have that iconic look to him like Mike Liut had. But hoisting the cup is as iconic as you can get...

Jordan Binnington St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champions Autographed  16" x 20" Raising Cup Photograph - Autographed NHL Photos at Amazon's  Sports Collectibles Store

Goes to show gear matters. Binnington changed gear so often you don't have one iconic image of him.

Jordan Binnington named second star of the week by NHL - St. Louis Game Time

Jordan Binnington, thrilled to be back in net for 'fun moments,' boosts St.  Louis Blues in Game 4 - ESPN

Jordan Binnington blanks Coyotes as Blues post 1-0 win | The Seattle Times

Not his fault - it's how it is today. 

All his gear is pretty nice though. His masks all look like blues colors diarrhea

Lifting the first cup in franchise history will always win major points for being a teams iconic goalie, especially a team that never truly had one like the Blues. 

Add in longest tenured, it's a pretty valid argument. Not many teams can say their current goalies are their most iconic, just the Lightning? 

• Like 2

I'll play too, I think these choices are heavily dependent on the era you grew up in

Anaheim - Giguere
Arizona - Khabibulin
Boston - Thomas
Buffalo - Hasek
Calgary - Kipper
Carolina - Ward
Chicago - Admittedly a weird choice - Thibault
Colorado - Roy
Columbus - Detective Sergei Bobrovsky
Dallas - Belfour
Detroit - Osgood
Edmonton - Cujo.  Meme vote goes to Salo
Florida - Luongo
LA - Quick
Minnesota - Backstrom
Montreal - Roy
Nashville - Rinne
NJ - Brodeur
NYR - Richter, honorable mention to Lundy
NYI - DiPietro (that contract lol)
Ottawa - Emery (RIP), honorable mention to Lalime for the Marvin the Martian mask
PHI - Bryz (tigers and outer space lol)
PIT - Fleury
SJS - Nabby
SEA - I guess Grubauer.
STL - nobody really of note; I'd say Binnington if I had to (won a Cup).  Meme vote goes to Brodeur
TBL - Vasi
TOR - Potvin
VAN - McLean, honorable mention to Luongo
VGK - Fleury
WAS - Kolzig or Holtby
WPG - Helleybuck, but if we're talking as a franchise, Lehtonen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MTH said:

Ever pick one of those Vics up now? Weigh like 25 pounds. Brutal!

No i havent seen them in forever. Last stick i used back in the day was hespelers...those things had great balance and could fire a wrist shot.

The new composite one feel like straws with tape on them 🤣

Edited by UCLALabrat
  • Like 1