Most Iconic Goalie Per Team History

RichMan

15 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I'll play too, I think these choices are heavily dependent on the era you grew up in

Anaheim - Giguere
Arizona - Khabibulin
Boston - Thomas
Buffalo - Hasek
Calgary - Kipper
Carolina - Ward
Chicago - Admittedly a weird choice - Thibault 
Colorado - Roy
Columbus - Detective Sergei Bobrovsky
Dallas - Belfour 
Detroit - Osgood
Edmonton - Cujo.  Meme vote goes to Salo
Florida - Luongo
LA - Quick
Minnesota - Backstrom
Montreal - Roy
Nashville - Rinne
NJ - Brodeur
NYR - Richter, honorable mention to Lundy
NYI - DiPietro (that contract lol)
Ottawa - Emery (RIP), honorable mention to Lalime for the Marvin the Martian mask
PHI - Bryz (tigers and outer space lol)
PIT - Fleury
SJS - Nabby
SEA - I guess Grubauer.
STL - nobody really of note; I'd say Binnington if I had to (won a Cup).  Meme vote goes to Brodeur
TBL - Vasi
TOR - Potvin
VAN - McLean, honorable mention to Luongo
VGK - Fleury
WAS - Kolzig or Holtby
WPG - Helleybuck, but if we're talking as a franchise, Lehtonen

Aside from Crawford in CHI and Turco in DAL I'm almost in complete agreement. 

That VAN vs DAL Series where game 1 went to 4OT really solidified Turco for me. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 9:49 AM, chile57 said:

I know he had cups of coffee with a couple other teams (same can be said for Ozzie) - but being from the mitten and an unofficial Red Wing "historian" - Terry Sawchuk has to be the go to for Detroit. Hands down. I mean if you are synonymous with the position of goalie - period - then you kind of have to be the default of the team where you made your name. 

I know it was mentioned that it wasn't about stats but c'mon - 447 wins (not counting playoffs which put him over 500) which held for decades and before the watered down effects of expansion - 103 which were by shutout (tack on another 12 in the playoffs). A shutout every 4.3 games. Unreal. 

When I saw this thread, my mind went straight to Sawchuk as well (just didn’t have time to write it out). So thank you @chile57 for writing this up, couldn’t agree more! I’m very much into the history of the game as well, especially the Original 6 era. He’s such a tragic figure - from losing the older brother he worshipped, to getting seriously sick, the reputed surliness, and the fight that led to his death. And what he did in spite of it all… incredible.

For St. Louis, Liut is a solid choice - but surely CuJo should be right there…? Especially for fans of our age, @MTH

• Like 2

Blues? I like Jordan "Do I look nervous?" Bennington and Glen Hall is a demi god. However, I wore a mask like Liut's so I got to go with Mike.

We are really going to get in the weeds if @RichMan starts a discussion on goalies from the WHA. Probably only a handful of us here even know what it was. :)

20 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Blues? I like Jordan "Do I look nervous?" Bennington and Glen Hall is a demi god. However, I wore a mask like Liut's so I got to go with Mike.

We are really going to get in the weeds if @RichMan starts a discussion on goalies from the WHA. Probably only a handful of us here even know what it was. :)

Although I'm old enough to know about the WHA, Gordie How's second home, I'm not gonna go there as I might make an even bigger blunder with names in that one :P 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fullright said:

When I think WHA, I immediately think of one of my favourite masks of all time. And then I Google it and realize they were NHL 🤦‍♂️

IMG_5950.jpeg

Edited by Lucky Pucker
Wrong league
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Aside from Crawford in CHI and Turco in DAL I'm almost in complete agreement. 

That VAN vs DAL Series where game 1 went to 4OT really solidified Turco for me. 

I went 30/32, decent save %

Completely agree with @Chenner29 that you could easily break this down into eras. 

Also - I think you both meant Inigo Montoya...

Indigo Montaya GIFs | Tenor

... but shoutout to former Wolverine (Go Blue) Al too. Had some beauty kits at UM.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

WHA is easy:

Oilers: Dave Dryden

Edmonton Oilers on X: "We extend our condolences to the loved ones of  former #Oilers goaltender Dave Dryden who has passed away at the age of 81.  The Hamilton native played parts

Chicago Cougars: Dave Dryden (again)

Dave Dryden 1975 Chicago Cougars | HockeyGods

Goalie Mask - Dave Dryden WHA Chicago Cougars – Vintage Sports Items

Cincinatti Stingers: Mike Liut

Cincinnati Stingers | Flyers hockey, Hockey helmet, Goalie mask

Calgary Barons/ Cleveland Crusaders/ Minnesota Fighting Saints (part 2): Gerry Cheevers

Favourite obscure hockey team??? I gotta go with the Cleveland Crusaders of  the WHA. : r/hockey

Denver Spurs/ Ottawa Civics: Jacques Caron

The Denver Spurs Hockey Club

Dayton Arrows/ Houston Aeros:

WHA 1970's Houston Aeros Goalies Wayne Rutledge Ron Grahame 8 X 10 Photo |  eBay

Indy Racers: Andy Brown - Last goalie without a mask!

Third String Goalie: The Last Maskless Goalie - 1976-77 Indianapolis Racers  Andy Brown jersey

LA Aces/LA Sharks/ Michigan Stags/ Balt. Blades: Jason Vorhees

image.jpeg.a02faf5e2385d8a891eaf47b1e636176.jpeg

Whalers: Not sure of this dude. But the mask...

This Day In Hockey History-March 8, 1978-(VIDEO)WHA New England Whalers vs Houston  Aeros – This Day In Hockey History - muzejvojvodine.org.rs

Raiders/ Golden Blades/ Jersey Knights/ SD Mariners: Whoever the Jersey Knights goalie was. They played in Cherry Hill at a rink crappier than any rink out there today. No locker rooms, no showers, uphill ice.... legends.

Miami/ Philly Blazers/ Vancouver/ Calgary Cowboys: Bernie Parent

Bernie Parent Philadelphia Blazers Autographed 8x10 - NHL Auctions

Phx Roadrunners: TBD

SF Sharks/ Quebec Nordiques: TBD

Winnipeg Jets (WHA): TBD

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MTH said:

WHA is easy:

Oilers: Dave Dryden

Edmonton Oilers on X: "We extend our condolences to the loved ones of  former #Oilers goaltender Dave Dryden who has passed away at the age of 81.  The Hamilton native played parts

Chicago Cougars: Dave Dryden (again)

Dave Dryden 1975 Chicago Cougars | HockeyGods

Goalie Mask - Dave Dryden WHA Chicago Cougars – Vintage Sports Items

Cincinatti Stingers: Mike Liut

Cincinnati Stingers | Flyers hockey, Hockey helmet, Goalie mask

Calgary Barons/ Cleveland Crusaders/ Minnesota Fighting Saints (part 2): Gerry Cheevers

Favourite obscure hockey team??? I gotta go with the Cleveland Crusaders of  the WHA. : r/hockey

Denver Spurs/ Ottawa Civics: Jacques Caron

The Denver Spurs Hockey Club

Dayton Arrows/ Houston Aeros:

WHA 1970's Houston Aeros Goalies Wayne Rutledge Ron Grahame 8 X 10 Photo |  eBay

Indy Racers: Andy Brown - Last goalie without a mask!

Third String Goalie: The Last Maskless Goalie - 1976-77 Indianapolis Racers  Andy Brown jersey

LA Aces/LA Sharks/ Michigan Stags/ Balt. Blades: Jason Vorhees

image.jpeg.a02faf5e2385d8a891eaf47b1e636176.jpeg

Whalers: Not sure of this dude. But the mask...

This Day In Hockey History-March 8, 1978-(VIDEO)WHA New England Whalers vs Houston  Aeros – This Day In Hockey History - muzejvojvodine.org.rs

Raiders/ Golden Blades/ Jersey Knights/ SD Mariners: Whoever the Jersey Knights goalie was. They played in Cherry Hill at a rink crappier than any rink out there today. No locker rooms, no showers, uphill ice.... legends.

Miami/ Philly Blazers/ Vancouver/ Calgary Cowboys: Bernie Parent

Bernie Parent Philadelphia Blazers Autographed 8x10 - NHL Auctions

Phx Roadrunners: TBD

SF Sharks/ Quebec Nordiques: TBD

Winnipeg Jets (WHA): TBD

The Chicago Cougars are my team’s crosstown rivals lol. Almost the same jersey design now as well

• 1 month later...

Anaheim - Herbert
Arizona - Khabibulin
Boston - Thomas
Buffalo - Hasek
Calgary - Kipper
Carolina - Kidd
Chicago - Belfour
Colorado - Roy
Columbus - Bobrovsky
Dallas - Belfour 
Detroit - Osgood
Edmonton - Cujo
Florida- VANBIESBROUCK easily. His mask takes the title alone.
LA - Quick
Minnesota - Fernandez
Montreal - Roy
Nashville - Rinne
NJ - Brodeur
NYR - Lundqvist
NYI - Billy Smith
Ottawa -Lalime
PHI - Hextall
PIT - Fleury
SJS - Nabokov
SEA -Drieger
STL -Binnington
TBL - Vasi
TOR - Cujo
VAN - Vanbiesbrouck
VGK - Fleury
WAS - Kolzig
WPG - Helleybuck

Edited by tubby34
  • Like 3

Anaheim - Giguere
Arizona- Smith (Khabby a close second over Bryz and Burke)
Boston - Cheevers (love it or hate it, he’s one)
Buffalo - Hasek
Calgary - Kippursoff
Carolina - Ward
Chicago - Esposito (Belfour, Crawford)
Colorado - Roy
Columbus - Denis
Dallas - Belfour 
Detroit - Osgood
Edmonton - Fuhr
Florida- Luongo ( and Beezer’s mask alone in second)                                                                                                             LA - Quick
Minnesota - Backstrom
Montreal - Roy (Plante a hard second over Dryden)
Nashville - Rinne (Vokoun has to be in the conversation)
NJ - Brodeur
NYR - Richter (with all due respect to Lundy. Would all of these guys have the Statue of Liberty on their masks without Mike?)
NYI - Billy Smith
Ottawa- Lalime (Razor and Andy could be 1 on any given day)
PHI - Hextall
PIT - Fleury (Barasso close second)
SJS - Nabokov
SEA -Drieger
STL -Liut
TBL - Vasy ( Edging out Khabby and Puppa)
TOR - Bower, I know everyone says Cujo but his first run was only 4 years. Potvin played almost 100 more games.
VAN - McLean (Lou and Cloutier respectively)
VGK - Fleury 
WAS - Kolzig
WPG - Helleybuck (Essensa if we consider this a continuation of the Jets or Lehtonen if we consider this a branch of Atl)

Edited by RedX
Spelling.
  • Like 3