2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

58 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think I'm the only one who absolutely hates these. They look way too busy.  

You’re not the only one who doesn’t like them and thinks they’re too busy, but I still think they are an upgrade over his previous mostly white set.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

It doesn’t help when your own fans boo you and your team puts the puck into their own net haha. not saying he’s playing great by any means but still

I'm a Devils fan — those were not Schneider boos, they were definitely team boos. Besides, the 'scoring on ourselves' phenomena was a single game (awful game, though).

Devils fans are all pretty united in simultaneously feeling sympathetic for Cory, but also not wanting him to play in net anymore. But by and large, they are very aware that he was the only bright spot on our team for several years, and that he's been a pretty great teammate for the whole stretch. 

I'd heard a lot of whispers this summer that Cory's surgery/recovery weren't going well, and that we shouldn't expect him to be the same player when he returned. Sadly, that seems to be the case. He's struggling mightily with his game even outside of his lower-body movement, but you can tell it's not just mental — he's lost a big step. There are so many instances where he seems several steps behind the play, like he's swimming to keep up with the pace. For a guy whose entire game relied around fundamental positioning and always being square to the shooter, that's quite concerning.

It's really unfortunate. He's a hard worker, a talented goalie, and a good guy, by all accounts. I agree with a lot of fans that his time has run out very quickly. Sadly, I don't think he is ever really going to get a starting job back in this league (not that Kinkaid is the Devils' answer, but he's still outperforming Schneider). But generally, there's very little resentment towards Cory from Devils fans. Most people feel bad for the spot he's in.

Weird career. Schneider was supposed to be one of the better goalies in the league for a good stretch, and he never really had the opportunity. He spent much of his career backing-up or splitting time with two Hall of Fame goalies. After Brodeur retired, he was the only positive for the Devils, and was a Top 5 guy in the league, putting up some great numbers on some terrible teams. Unfortunately, his decline seemed to align with the rest of the team improving, and rather than looking like the cornerstone of the team, he seemed less and less relevant to the future. Poor guy.

After the dust settled, Vancouver looks pretty smart with Bo Horvat there...

Sucks he's not doing well.

But it's not that bad for the dude. He's signed through the 2021-2022 season at $6M a season. Even if the Devils buy him out at the end of this year, they have to pay him 2/3 of his remaining contract. I think that works out to around $16M just to leave the team.

Write what you want in your glove - but every time he logs onto his banking app - there's plenty of reasons to know you're doing just fine.

5 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I'm a Devils fan — those were not Schneider boos, they were definitely team boos. Besides, the 'scoring on ourselves' phenomena was a single game (awful game, though).

Devils fans are all pretty united in simultaneously feeling sympathetic for Cory, but also not wanting him to play in net anymore. But by and large, they are very aware that he was the only bright spot on our team for several years, and that he's been a pretty great teammate for the whole stretch. 

I'd heard a lot of whispers this summer that Cory's surgery/recovery weren't going well, and that we shouldn't expect him to be the same player when he returned. Sadly, that seems to be the case. He's struggling mightily with his game even outside of his lower-body movement, but you can tell it's not just mental — he's lost a big step. There are so many instances where he seems several steps behind the play, like he's swimming to keep up with the pace. For a guy whose entire game relied around fundamental positioning and always being square to the shooter, that's quite concerning.

It's really unfortunate. He's a hard worker, a talented goalie, and a good guy, by all accounts. I agree with a lot of fans that his time has run out very quickly. Sadly, I don't think he is ever really going to get a starting job back in this league (not that Kinkaid is the Devils' answer, but he's still outperforming Schneider). But generally, there's very little resentment towards Cory from Devils fans. Most people feel bad for the spot he's in.

Weird career. Schneider was supposed to be one of the better goalies in the league for a good stretch, and he never really had the opportunity. He spent much of his career backing-up or splitting time with two Hall of Fame goalies. After Brodeur retired, he was the only positive for the Devils, and was a Top 5 guy in the league, putting up some great numbers on some terrible teams. Unfortunately, his decline seemed to align with the rest of the team improving, and rather than looking like the cornerstone of the team, he seemed less and less relevant to the future. Poor guy.

LBIs are goalie killers sadly. I always liked Schneider, but sometimes becoming a big time goalie requires timing. Look at Quick. He landed on the right time behind the right defense at the right time and poof! 10-year absurd contract. Unfortunately for him his timing got him stuck behind Luongo and Brodeur. Had he landed in like Minnesota or San Jose, or somewhere where there was a need for a number one, I feel like history would be different. But this kind of revisionist talk is kinda moot.

Vancouver looks pretty dumb when you consider they threw away Luongo AND Schneider for a now AHL goalie/borderline NHL goalie. I should be more specific since that could be any of their last 3 out of 4 goalies. Horvat is great but they are still missing big pieces that at one point had. Then again, Lou had to get out of there.

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

Sucks he's not doing well.

But it's not that bad for the dude. He's signed through the 2021-2022 season at $6M a season. Even if the Devils buy him out at the end of this year, they have to pay him 2/3 of his remaining contract. I think that works out to around $16M just to leave the team.

Write what you want in your glove - but every time he logs onto his banking app - there's plenty of reasons to know you're doing just fine.

So are we not supposed to feel bad or sympathize because he makes a lot of money?

This invalidation strategy always puzzles me.

5 hours ago, stackem30 said:

I hope you’re right about the boos cause it seemed like from what of people said on social media that it was. By that I mean a lot of devils fans were trashing cory, and as a fellow devils fan it pissed me off and that’s an understatement

with that said, if you tear your mcl you’re never gonna come back as you were before.  I want him to do well but it’s probably over for him, luckily Blackwood is stepping up even though his defense does him no favors lol

as for his fundamentals, I model my game after having good skating ability, having good angles etc like he does, but the game’s definitely getting faster. It seems the goalies with lack of fundamentals are doing the best, which I’m not surprised but it does disappoint me to see goalies with great fundamentals not really succeeding, part of that is a little bias when it comes to different styles but oh well. For a guy like Cory it really sucks. 

So....this guy.  So far, so good.  I'm very happy to see him still doing his water bottle ritual that he did in the WHL.

Every whistle, he takes his bottle and squirts water out in front of him while arcing the bottle over his head and watches the drops of water fall to the ice.  He hardly ever drinks, but does this habitually.  Got to see him do it on TV last night, made me smile.

image.png.2ae667db0c2bb483e9c0fcc03a305ddc.png

image.png.1f5a95762ca9c80deef2185d998e12b0.png

image.png.13104a77a2dfa39b928b0aaa86ad0fb4.png

I'm torn on Hart. I want him to succeed, and yet it would mean succeeding for Philly...

nsr.gif

NHL goaltending is in a darker place right now (Unless you're named John Gibson, Vasilevskiy, or Andersen). This guy could change that if he is as good as all this hoopla and hype around him. I just hope it's after a dumb trade lol.

47 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I'm torn on Hart. I want him to succeed, and yet it would mean succeeding for Philly...

nsr.gif

NHL goaltending is in a darker place right now (Unless you're named John Gibson, Vasilevskiy, or Andersen). This guy could change that if he is as good as all this hoopla and hype around him. I just hope it's after a dumb trade lol.

Ha, nice.  I'm not a fan of Philly per se but I don't dislike them with any sort of enthusiasm, either.  I want Hart to succeed because I've watched him in person for years so I am rooting for them.  He's in a perfect scenario right now to shine and earn his keep.  One benefit of being in a goalie merry-go-round is you get opportunities.  There's nobody in his way right now and that could be a good thing for him if he can sustain himself and keep getting some good results in front of him.   So far, it's two close games so the weight is definitely on his shoulders.   It's a lot for someone who can't yet buy himself a beer, for sure. 

14 hours ago, Moose75 said:

I don’t dislike Philly either but I can totally see something like his stats go down hill and Vegas says “Hey we’ll trade you a proven winner in Fleury for Your young guy.” Then he goes on to be great.

10 hours ago, stackem30 said:

What's the over/under on how many games Hart plays before he's told that he needs some white tape on his knob... 5? 10?

There was someone else this season (can’t remember who) who also used a coloured knob which I was surprised by.

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

I don’t dislike Philly either but I can totally see something like his stats go down hill and Vegas says “Hey we’ll trade you a proven winner in Fleury for Your young guy.” Then he goes on to be great.

There was someone else this season (can’t remember who) who also used a coloured knob which I was surprised by.

The ol’ Mike Milbury bait and switch!

Archived